Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 PM

I've been doing a Hoopsisters quilt. It has been a very long process - about 11 months now and I'm definitely not done. They recommend (and sell) battelizer which is a batting with stabilizer built in. Great stuff and I really like it. You hoop the battlizer and do the rest of the work on it. It is not inexpensive and hooping it creates a ton of waste, so someone in the class suggested hooping the cheapest possible muslin and cut the battelizer to size. The thing I've noticed is the blocks turn out very stiff and will not make a soft snuggly quilt! I see from a previous post that the muslin shouldn't be less than a 200 thread count. Oops! Today I changed to a tear away stabilizer I get from JoAnns. It is very soft with lots of holes and I love it. The blocks are really nice and soft and are not distorting at all.
I have made a couple of soft dolls and used tearaway, but it was the more solid stiff stuff. I'll definitely go to the more porous one for the dolls. Nice and soft!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:19 AM

No offense please....but why would one take time to embroider on toilet paper? Perhaps for learning about stabilizers? Thread tension? Obviosly one does not use "wash a-way " stabilizer! (Pun intended). I see my attempts being a " waste" of time. (Sorry, I could not resist!)

Yes, I have seen the TP rolls posted. Just has always been a curious thing to me. But my time is very tight (still working FT) and I have other projects in the works. I do appreciate the challenge, tho.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:25 AM

DixieDoodle, Embroidery Library is where I got the tutorial for mine. It is really easy to do and the paper is on the roll when you embroider it.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:44 PM

You fold the first "square" of TP under the second and embroider on the second piece so no additonal stabilizer is needed. These are just fun, easy and quick projects which are used a lot for gag gifts. The ones like the flowers posted are just cute to sit on a bathroom counter or shelf. There are some tutorials that show how to make Snowmen or Santas for a fast Christmas project.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:30 AM

I fold the first 2 squares back, fold again and then embroider on the 2nd set of squares, use the 1st for a neater fold back. I give these as fun gifts. I realize some may think it is a waste of time to embroider on Tissue but I love the machine embroidery process and have a lot of fun trying new things and when you put that amount of money in a machine, I think it needs to be used.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:37 AM
Banned

Has anyone tried to make any of the "fringe" designs from
Embroidery Library?

I have one design but have not yet tried. Guess that I am
a little more than intimidated by trying this.

LOL but heck I still have yet to try embroidery applique.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
Has anyone tried to make any of the "fringe" designs from
Embroidery Library?

I have one design but have not yet tried. Guess that I am
a little more than intimidated by trying this.

LOL but heck I still have yet to try embroidery applique.
I have done the fringe designs using Adorable Designs. They turned out really cute and will be doing them again.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:55 PM

Quilty-Louise,

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only intimidated soul when it comes to machine embroidery!

Sushi
Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Banned

Other than the fringe only other thing that stops me dead
in my tracks IS the applique LOL.

I don't know why either, everyone keeps telling me that it
is super fun and easy.

Maybe someday I will get around to it.

But I do love both my embroidery machines.

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Quilty-Louise,

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only intimidated soul when it comes to machine embroidery!

Sushi
Old 03-01-2014, 09:28 AM

Does anyone have a Janome Memorycraft 200e? And does it work? Cause mine doesn't. I got it last August and I have yet to get more than 3 or 4 designs out of it without it running away (where the on/off button does nothing and I have to turn the whole machine off to stop it). I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what. I send it back, they send it back to me, it still don't work. I would be grateful for anyone's input on this.