Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM

I just saw an episode of Sewing with Nancy that had a great idea.
She turned the top hoop over to the wrong side, put strips of double stick tape on the wrong side.
She then centered the hoop over the area (in this case a quilt block) to be stitched and pressed it down. The hoop sticks to the fabric so she could slide the bottom hoop under everything and press the top hoop into the bottom. Ready to put in the machine.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 PM

I love machine embroidery on my quilts I have a Janome 11000 SE and MB4 for quilting I have a Janome 8900 and on quilting frame I have a 1600 . I love making baby quilts with their name and DOB I gave my Daughter my 10000 and she loves it so easy to go from sewing to embroidery
Old 02-11-2014, 05:34 AM

Just got a Bernina 880 mainly so it is easier to embroider with because I can use the Mega Hoop and it will reduce the number of times I have to rehoop. I need help on how to embroider on clothing. I would like to practice on some old
t-shirts and sweaters. All the classes I see available at me LQS just use a piece of fabric. Doesn't help what I am wanting to do. I can't afford fancy T's and sweaters but if I could spruce them up with embroidery that would be great!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:48 AM

Silver Needle, Embroidery Library has lots of tutorials. Maybe there is one that would help you out.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by raksmum View Post
Silver Needle, Embroidery Library has lots of tutorials. Maybe there is one that would help you out.
So does http://www.urbanthreads.com/Tutorials.aspx, along with alot of other sites. I always check them out for tips, projects and tutorials. Its great to get new ideas but most all sites have things to learn on them
Old 02-11-2014, 05:02 PM

Jratcliff that sounds like a neat idea! I may try it this week.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 AM

How does everyone like the floriani products, I just took the plunge asnd bought a bunch of their stabilizers as I wasn't as happy with my stabilizers, might gift them to my aunt, she just got her machine
Old 02-21-2014, 12:06 PM

I have a lot of shirts, mostly sweat or T shirts that I have decorated with machine embroidery. It works great for hiding the stains I seem to get on the front of me every time I eat something the least bit moist. I have picked up a lot of them at thrift stores. Since I am a very full figured woman I even shop in the men's department. Walmart also has sweat shirts and T shirts for great prices. If I mess up the embroidery I have been known to do it over on a piece of coordinating fabric and applique it over my mistakes. Probably every other Christmas or Birthday one or all of my grandchildren get a shirt or sweatshirt with something of their interests on it. I usually use some coordinating variegated thread to add a little border around the neck and possibly the sleeves at the wrist. I love using variegated thread. It gives a unique result and keeps me from having to keep rethreading the machine constantly. When the machine stops to have the thread changed I just raise and lower the presser foot and push the go button. The results are usually very attractive. Hooping is sometimes a challenge with clothing items. Since I am often working with large shirts etc. I tried something different. I hooped the stabilizer and just straight pinned the shirt to it. That way I got the design where I wanted it and didn't have to struggle to get the sweatshirt in the hoop. Often the hooping leaves a dent in the shirt fabric that is hard to get out. The other thing I have done is embroider the design I want on a piece of permanent stabilizer. When it is finished I trim it very close and applique it to the garment. If I get tired of it or it doesn't look right it is easy to remove and the garment is not destroyed. It sure beats picking out stitches that didn't work out.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Banned

I LOVE the Floriani stabilizers, thread, and all the products I have
tried (and I use tons of the stuff).

Just bought some of the Floriani Chrome needles today so I am excited
to try them.

I also picked up the Water Soluble Topping today as I KNOW (and seen)
how well this stuff works for stitching on knits, fleece, terry towels, and
microfiber.

I have even started using SOME (not all the time) Floriani embroidery thread
when I do applique, and FMQ it gives the finished item a LOVELY sheen to the
stitching.

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
How does everyone like the floriani products, I just took the plunge asnd bought a bunch of their stabilizers as I wasn't as happy with my stabilizers, might gift them to my aunt, she just got her machine
Old 02-22-2014, 07:49 AM

I like the Floriani stabilizers and really like their thread, which just seems to add a nice glow to the finished design. The stabilizer I use most often is OESD which I do like and I think the 505 spray is an OESD product.
MPSpeedy2, I also hoop my stabilizer and pin the piece I am embroidery on to it. Just seems to work better for me.