Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 11-07-2016, 01:54 PM

Viking actually includes the software to organize, view and some editing along with their machines. I had the Ruby and then got the Diamond deluxe and it came with the current version (of that time) of software to do these things. Now they do have a full scale software program that isn't included but I was happy they at least gave you some basic tools to start off with. The only thing that I don't like is that you have to pay for the upgraded versions. That's not right.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:18 PM

One thing to note as far as software, even though I purchased the full Viking 5D Pro software, I now also own Floriani, its easy to use, they have free tutorials constantly on how to do different things and the best part about their software is that the upgrades are free. In order for me to get the upgraded version on 5D it would have been almost the cost of the software in full. 5D is great software but I don't like it when a company (not just Viking) continues to upgrade but then doesn't support the version you paid a fortune for. As much as software is, all of them should be free upgrades for life, just saying.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:24 PM

Hear hear!!!

I must also add: And they should be compatible with Mac computers as well as PCs.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Hear hear!!!

I must also add: And they should be compatible with Mac computers as well as PCs.

Brother and Embrilliance both have Mac friendly software.

Cari
Old 11-07-2016, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Brother and Embrilliance both have Mac friendly software.

Cari
Viking is compatible with Mac but its the upgrading cost that gets me.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Hear hear!!!

I do second that, Sushi...so right...
Old 11-07-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
Viking is compatible with Mac but its the upgrading cost that gets me.
But embrilliance also charge you for the upgrades
Old 11-07-2016, 08:42 PM

I understand that everyone needs to make a living, but isn't there a better way than charging good customers every time they sneeze? Perhaps embroidery needs to be a group activity/investment where each member chips in a share of both the initial cost and the cost of updates.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
One thing to note as far as software, even though I purchased the full Viking 5D Pro software, I now also own Floriani, its easy to use, they have free tutorials constantly on how to do different things and the best part about their software is that the upgrades are free. In order for me to get the upgraded version on 5D it would have been almost the cost of the software in full. 5D is great software but I don't like it when a company (not just Viking) continues to upgrade but then doesn't support the version you paid a fortune for. As much as software is, all of them should be free upgrades for life, just saying.

Glad to hear about Floriani software from a user. I just attended a Floriani seminar and they talked about all the software could do and it was free upgrades. They also mentioned all their software uses the same icons, etc. so if you buy one it all looks the same from program to program.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:37 PM

The Singer updates are free, although it's up to you to go to the Singer site and check for them, because they don't e-mail you. I've only had to this twice, though..they are pretty reliable. As far as I know, the software isn't interchangeable from model to model, though..they could be now, my 2 machines are 20 years apart in age, and software is only compatible with each machine they came with.