Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Suggestions please!!! I just started making a few embroidered pieces for a crazy quilt for the May Doll Quilt Swap (and you're all invited to join us). I decided to use some gorgeous silk rayon I ordered a while ago from India. It keeps breaking at the needle and it is so frustrating. It is marked especially for use in machine embroidery. I lowered the speed, but still ... ARGHHHH! Got any ideas?
I have a Brother 2500D and the art silk rayon thread I get from Pakistan is my very favorite of all brands.
Do all your colors break? Maybe you need a different type of needle or a different brand.

Last edited by TanyaL; 04-28-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:39 AM
Swap Hosts

Yes, all break. What needle do you use? Maybe it's my stabilizer?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:48 AM
Swap Hosts

Nevermind. Now it is zipping along. Go figure. Arghhhh. As soon as I wrote that, the thread broke!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:37 AM

Krystyna; If you continue to have issues with the silk thread, try using a Metallica Needle. It is meant for delicate threads... obviously metallic threads... but should also work with your silk thread. Also if you are doing machine embroidery slow your machine down as much as possible that will also prevent breakage. HTH
Old 04-28-2012, 10:00 AM

I use an Organ 90/14 PD. However, the metallic needles have bigger eyes. I suggest you do not thread thru your needle bar guide. That is the way I have to do when I use metallic threads because they break all the time on me. You might try loosing your upper tension a whole lot and then gradually tighten up. Try a lot of different tensions. I sincerely doubt if it is your stabilizer. There are some European brands of thread that don't sew well for me and I gave all of those away when I discovered these from Pakistan. I also don't buy the American thread anymore due to their prices. Some machines like some and other machines like other thread and some will sew all of them. And some women are just partial to some brands even when their machines aren't.

Last edited by TanyaL; 04-28-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 PM

I would love to see a separate section for embroidery on the QB. I like this board. So many machines come with embroidery units now to use for quilting. I have a Janome MC11000SE & I love it both for regular quilting & for the emboridery. Haven't had any problems with it. Would love to be able to share separately with quilters who use embroidery in their quilts. It could be a great sharing & learning experience for quilters who also use embroidery. Til then I'm going to try to subscribe or keep track of this thread. I was so excited when I saw it listed today. Didn't know it existed.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:16 PM

Today I am having trouble with the thread wrapping around the spindle, becoming taut and then breaking. Go figure.
It's frustrating!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by margee View Post
I would love to see a separate section for embroidery on the QB. I like this board. So many machines come with embroidery units now to use for quilting. I have a Janome MC11000SE & I love it both for regular quilting & for the emboridery. Haven't had any problems with it. Would love to be able to share separately with quilters who use embroidery in their quilts. It could be a great sharing & learning experience for quilters who also use embroidery. Til then I'm going to try to subscribe or keep track of this thread. I was so excited when I saw it listed today. Didn't know it existed.
That is a great idea. How does that get done? It would sure make it easier to follow this thread.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:02 PM

Tanya: Is your spool pin cap tight?? Sometimes that happens to me when the spool pin cap isn't tight, or I have the wrong sized spool pin cap. Just a thought....

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Today I am having trouble with the thread wrapping around the spindle, becoming taut and then breaking. Go figure.
It's frustrating!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM

I have a brother 600-II I have embroidered many baby quilt squares some I sent pic. of to this board don't remember how long ago at least 5 yrs. they are probably floating arround out there some where. but just jump in and start learning to use the embroidery unit. one thing I do when I make quilt squares is use freezer paper stabilizer I cut the paper bigger than the hoop then quarter fold it, cut your quilt square bigger than you want the finished one to be. (embroidery change the size some) quarter fold it, match up the folds with your freezer paper and iron them together then hoop it matching the fold lines to the centering marks on the hoop. embroider and tear away the freezer paper.