Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by happy sewer View Post
My question. Can you do embroidery on the 8500 without hooping? what if you want to do the same design on a long strip of fabric without hooping? Thanks.
you can hoop your stabilizer spray it with spray adhesive I use 505 then stick what you want to embroidery to the sticky stabilizer and embroider
you might have to do a little advance marking if you want to do a long strip and you will have to put another peice of stabilizer over where you take the first design off.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Little RoO View Post
If your threads come on a spool rather than a cotton reel and are 4cms or bigger try keeping them vertical instead of horizontal. This really helps them not break.
I agree with the thread position part; it does help, in embroidery as well as sewing. Most of mine end up in a heavy coffee cup behind my machine. The needle could really be the problem. When I was doing FSL with polyester the site where I got it said to use a sharp size 11 for FSL. It didn't work, every few seconds sometimes it would break. I finally switched to a size 14 sharp and then slowed down the machine and that worked greatly. I'd say it's more likey that the needle than the stabilizer. Normally if the stabilizer isn't happy it'll just tear; depending on what you are doing. Check emblibrary.com under projects and see if they have the same type of project listed as you are doing, if so they'll have recommendations for the stabilizer as well as the needle size and type. You may have to change the size some if you are using a different type of thread like I was. They were using Rayon and I was using polyester.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I agree with the thread position part; it does help, in embroidery as well as sewing. Most of mine end up in a heavy coffee cup behind my machine. The needle could really be the problem. When I was doing FSL with polyester the site where I got it said to use a sharp size 11 for FSL. It didn't work, every few seconds sometimes it would break. I finally switched to a size 14 sharp and then slowed down the machine and that worked greatly. I'd say it's more likey that the needle than the stabilizer. Normally if the stabilizer isn't happy it'll just tear; depending on what you are doing. Check emblibrary.com under projects and see if they have the same type of project listed as you are doing, if so they'll have recommendations for the stabilizer as well as the needle size and type. You may have to change the size some if you are using a different type of thread like I was. They were using Rayon and I was using polyester.
Oh, no way will I change the thread! It was ordered specially from India and it is gorgeous. So far only a couple of colors seem to be breaking but I will try different types of needles to see if that helps.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 AM
Swap Hosts

Embroidery Library has their new free designs out for May - a cute sea turtle and a cheeseburger! They also have the international Sunbonnet Sues and Sams on sale for $1.29 each. So silly that they're tempting, but what on earth would I use them on?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 AM

Designs and I have lots...how do you decide what you want to use them on? I don't like to use the heavy stitch count ones on my quilt blocks. However I continue to buy them because they are so pretty. I love the quilt block designs that are single or double run to quilt small projects. They look so precise and pretty.

I have several designs that I think are wonderful but then the stitch count will be upwards of 30,000 stitches or more. They take quite a while to stitch out. What stitch count do you ordinarily choose for quilt blocks?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I have a Brother SE350 with a 4 inch hoop it uses PES files. I bought the PED Basic to download off the internet. I absolutely love my machine and have a bunch of quilt squares started also did a fun and Done baby quilt in all white. I have done t shirts and sweatshirts.
I concure on the PED basic. Look for it online at Joanns (I used a 40% off coupon) I have an older Babylock Esante II. max hooop size is 5x7 ( a real drawback as many designs are for the larger hoops) But I muddle through. My machine takes .pes only.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Oh, no way will I change the thread! It was ordered specially from India and it is gorgeous. So far only a couple of colors seem to be breaking but I will try different types of needles to see if that helps.
We don't mean change the thread; change how it is setting. If it is lying down then stand it up even if that means sitting it on the table in a cup or something to hold it. What type of needle are you using? Embroidery needles naturally have a larger hole but then sometimes they don't work. Like when I had to use the sharps. You have speciality thread it may need a little extra care. Have you tried also slowing it down and you can also double your stabilizer. You can do that just by using scraps and spraying with adhesive and applying it. I only do this when the thread breaks and my stablizer tears then I strenghten it. Let us know if we can throw some other ideas your way if this doesn't help. Good luck
Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by SingerSewer View Post
Designs and I have lots...how do you decide what you want to use them on? I don't like to use the heavy stitch count ones on my quilt blocks. However I continue to buy them because they are so pretty. I love the quilt block designs that are single or double run to quilt small projects. They look so precise and pretty.

I have several designs that I think are wonderful but then the stitch count will be upwards of 30,000 stitches or more. They take quite a while to stitch out. What stitch count do you ordinarily choose for quilt blocks?
To be honest I've never really paid attention. I get most of mine from emblibrary.com and I guess because that is a problem I've never had I haven't paid attention to it.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Sometimes I have trouble with thread breaking so I take it off the machine spool and put it on my separate cone thread holder that sits beside my machine. Seems to loosen the thread tension or something.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:12 AM

On the subject of thread breaking, you say some of the thread is breaking but other spools aren't? You might try applying Sewer's Aid or using a vegetable grade silicone spray on the ones that are breaking. It won't hurt and might make a big difference. Just a thought.