Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!! >

"Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!!

"Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!!

Old 10-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by mucky
years ago someone put out a panel for an eye spy quilt. It was wonderful as saved hours of looking and buying more fabric than needed. On stillhad to border and personalize it. I wish someone would do that again.
this it? the panel..
i made it about 3 years ago i think, a friend found it in her stash and gave it to me...

I Spy Panel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]271899[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271846.jpe  
Old 10-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by watterstide
this it? the panel..
i made it about 3 years ago i think, a friend found it in her stash and gave it to me...
WOW!! Talk about simplifying the search for I Spy fabrics!! And just like cheater quilts, by the time you get it quilted, it'd look like the real thing!

Everyone ..... great suggestions, ideas, tips, hints, links .... my head is spinning with ideas and then some!! I was at a Quilt Show today, and picked up some different FQs that would be fun to include in an I Spy ... so different from my normal stash buying habits!! HUGE THANKS to one and all!!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 02:45 PM

i use 5 " squares and I dppled som of them to make little pockets and put a little cut out doppled fused in the lil pocket like a bear a kitty I just cut 2 of the same out from a fabric fuse them together and stick them in a pocket bear with bear or kitty with kitty I gave it to my dgd at 3. birthday she 10 now still has it
Old 10-15-2011, 03:34 PM

I plan to do mine with either 4 or 5 inch blocks, and just sewing the blocks together directly.

I ran a swap on Ravelry recently for 5" squares. Everyone sent in 12 squares of 5 fabrics (so you could cut them out of a fat quarter, we didn't necessarily fussy cut). I ran two groups- so I have 120 squares waiting, and it didn't cost much at all, because I only had to buy 10 fabrics, and I got them on sale.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:46 PM

I've made several "I Spy" quilts, all using 5" squares (just a personal preference, I guess) I always try to use clear, sharp, colorful pictures
Note: I always use piano borders of bright solid colors so child can learn colors as well; and
Often I have used 2 identical blocks in the quilt, so the child can play "Concentration" as well as "I Spy"
Old 10-15-2011, 05:52 PM

I have just started getting fabric together for this. My plan is to use numbers and letters in the border.

Thanks GrammyP ... more and more ideas keep building and adding. The sky's the limit, isn't it? :) While I was driving away this morning, I was thinking maybe I should include including the alphabet and numbers.[/quote]
Old 10-15-2011, 06:12 PM

Yosamitesa on this QB hosts a monthly 6 1/2" novelty square swap. Here's the one just ending. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-157689-1.htm Her November swap is anything FOOD. We've gotten ALOT of fun prints.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:04 AM

Sorry, I don't have a picture of it, but I did the hexagonal
I spy quilt for my granddaughter. I transferred picture of 35 of the family members onto hexagons as well<Be sure to use fabric designed for this - PM me if you need to know why!> I did 3 inch hexagons and backed it. Then as she got older, she asked me for another - I backed it with satin and she feels like a princess. I am really liking the framed hexagons and have almost finished a jacket with them and it has some bead work. PM me with your address and I will see if I can find some 6 1/2 inch squares to send.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Saw this on line.... with I Spy cheater quilt tops...

http://www.cindysfabrics.com/index.p...sy-cut-squares
Old 10-16-2011, 11:23 AM

Sorry, I misrepresented...these are FUSSY CUT SQUARES of different sizes...not the whole piece of material into I Spy squares.