Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!! >

"Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!!

"Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!!

Old 10-15-2011, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

Love all the pictures!
Old 10-15-2011, 03:44 AM

I am making an I spy quilt for my 1 year old great-niece that has numbers, letters, solid colors, and pictures. I call it a learning I spy quilt. She has to match numbers with numbers, letters with letters. Also, she will need to match the numbers with a block that has that many objects in it. Then match the letters with the block that has an object in it witch the name of the object begins with that letter. Then match colors to colors, and pictures to pictures
Old 10-15-2011, 04:29 AM

LOVE your ideas...

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
They are so great. I have made many . The first was for my DD. She is 25 and sometimes transports kids for visitation etc. She bought a new car and was concerened the damage they did to the back of front seats.. So I made an I spy quilt with velcro ties to go around the headrests. They loved it and spent the hours drive looking for items. She did not even have to interact with them. The older child tok the lead and had siblings searching. that was made with 6 in" squares.
then came 5" squares for all of my great nephews. 6 so far.2more coming for xmas.
GAMES. finding different catagories ex. Fruits, veges, vehicles, dogs cats,( stripes, polka dots, circles, plaids(put those in for older kids)
Throwing bean bags on a catagory,
Looking for colors
cuddling with, finding your favorite sq.
counting all the dif. catagories
First on to find something
giving kids 3 thingsto find at a time an put something over the squares til all are covered. ( plastic chips,blocks bean bags)
The oldest nephew is 9 his was made with all sports blocks)
he still searches for stuff and his friends play too
the xmas ones are going to toddlers 1 and 18mos. THey will have tummy time and begin early to fnid simple things and grow into it.
I used 5in squares, and will be glad to send you some to get you started. I tried not to repeat sq.
PM me if you want some.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:19 AM

I have made several "I spy" quilts and enjoyed making them so much. In order for the object to really be noticable, you need at least a 5" or 6" block. Young children respond better to medium size to large size objects which they can spot quickly, or they will lose interest in the game. I had to do a lot of "fancy cutting" in order to center the objects, but the finished quilts was worth the extra effort.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:02 AM

I am so motivated now to make some of these. I really loved all the wonderful ideas and examples. This board is so great. I thought my DGDs were too old at ages 5 and 9 but I think I will make them one too.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:07 AM

5 to 6 inch Squares, definitely. You have more enjoyment getting colorful prints that repeat at 10 and 12 inches. Then you can fit a whole dolphin (or witch) into the quilt block, rather than chopping the images to fragmented bits in a 3 inch. If you want a grand selection of Eye Spy prints, I will be putting some for sale, which I've used successfully in 3 children's quilts.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:25 AM

3 x 3 is not to small, i used that size as a border on one quilt,and the centers were a bit bigger.

i prefer a 5 or 6 inch block.

my grandson is 15 months old, and he can point to the some of the things i ask him to point to! but not verbalizing the words yet..
Old 10-15-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
My little Mr. Ted E. Bear quilt owner will no doubt need an "I Spy" quilt!!
For now, my main objective is to collect fabrics, as I watch for the pattern I choose to do.

For those who have already been down this road, and have seen children enjoying these ...

* what size of blocks have you found to be the most interesting to wee ones? too small? too big?

* at what age do children enjoy an I Spy the most? youngest? oldest?

* and any other tips, hints and tricks to help me make it the best ever!!! :)

THANK YOU!!!!!
I cut a card stock weight template with the 1/4 inch hem on it and cut the actual size of the block out of the center and carried it with me to check fabric when I saw one I liked and was amazing how many times I thought one would work and it was to big or small. Quilt I made had 200 hexagons and think they were three inches finished. I made our grandson son one when he was not quite 3 years old and worried he wouldn't know what it was and it turned out his Mom had been reading him the book so as soon as he saw it he threw it on the floor and layed down and starting saying I SPY a car etc. I made the one in the" P.S. I Love You Two" book, by Nancy J Smith and Lynda S. Milligan.
The hexigons were put together with solid colored triangles and there was a border that I machine embroidery that said I Spy 4 bugs 3 cows etc. I used what was in the quilt blocks in the saying. He used that quilt and had it until he was older and it was in shreds. It was well loved and used. Everytime I got a fabric or fabrics I went home and cut my blocks so when I had all my blocks it went together fast as the cutting was all done. The book is of, all kids and baby quilts and one I really have liked and used more then one quilt from it. It was published by Possibilities, publishers of DreamSpinners patterns. There is an 800 phone number for US and Canada-1-800-474-2665 or ask your quilt shop if they don't have it can they get it as it was a very popular soft cover book. Have a picture of quilt if I can find it. I haven't seen it sense we moved.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:36 AM

I am making my second one. I like to use 4.5 in squares. And triangles to make stars. Check out p.s I love you 2 .Fons & porter book. I am makin twin size including 2 borders. Enjoy, is addicting
Old 10-15-2011, 06:39 AM

What size did u make? How many hexagons across and how many rows down? Thanks for you help.