Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 42 bolts of fabric...

Banned
    Blog Entries

42 bolts of fabric...

At work today it was time for my break, but I saw a 'regular/frequent' customer come into the dept. So I decided I would wait for her to pick her fabrics before I took my break. 30 mins later she is still selecting fabrics and there are just a few bolts in her buggy. 45 mins later I decide I needed to take my break, put out our sign that says, 'see photo lab', and went to take a 15 min break.
    I come back to find her still picking out fabric. She has now been in the dept for over an hour. But her buggy is FULL!

She comes up to the cutting table and we start talking. She has selected fabric for 4 small quilts she has patterns for.

After cutting anywhere from 1/4 yard to 6 1/4 yards from the 42 bolts she had selected..... I had the honor of figuring out where all the bolts went! We are in the middle of receiving a TON of new fabrics so not all have a real home yet. I have put most of the new ones up so sort of knew where they belonged.

I was just glad I was the one there to cut it all for her and to be able to put it away! Anyone else would have had a cow and complained about it.

Just another wonderful part of my job in the fabric dept of WM.

Phyllis
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 03-30-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful!!!

Blog Entries
    Wow. I bet those complainers aren't quilters are they?
    Bernie

42+ bolts at Walmart? Mine does not, and told will not, have any fabric.

Wow, that is a lot of fabric!!!!

Wish I could pick out 42 bolts! What fun! My biggest is about 6-8 bolts I think.

When ever I make a "mass' purchase while the person is cutting I start putting the bolts back after they have been cut. I never want to cutters to run and hide .

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Now thats ALOT of bolts !!! wow..

Blog Entries
    Atleast your wal-mart still has a fabric department. My nearest wal-mart renovated their store last year and got rid of the fabric department. You can still buy some fabric there, but they have very little selection and it's pre-cut into 1/4, 1/2 and 1 yard lengths. The last time I went, they might have had 10-15 diffrent fabrics, but no bolts. I was seriously disappointed and Wal-Mart lost a loyal fabric customer. Not to mention that now it's almost impossible for me to find any fabrics unless I go to Michael's or Jo-Ann fabrics which is an hour away from my home.

But I'm like you, I'd be in paradise playing with fabric all day.

I think that would be so much fun to cut all that fabric. It's fun just looking and touching it. They should only let quilters work in the fabric dept!!! Lol....glad you had fun.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I agree that only quilters (or anyone that appreciates fabric) should be allowed to work in fabric departments/stores. JMHO
    Alma
    Nami to 6

I am so jelous!! I wish I could pick out that many bolts!! Luckily we have a nice size fabric department in our Walmart, and the manager is a wonderful person, that keeps it well stocked with mostly better quality fabric..for a short time it went to the prepackaged stuff, which after many complaints went back to bolts. Many times I get the same fabric as Joannes carries at Wallyworld cheaper than if I had used the Joannes coupon! Best yet, was the fabric I just got from clearance for 1/2 of the clearance price!! Love when they do that before inventory!!

Blog Entries
    I envy the customer!! The closest WM with fabric is 50 miles away and 90% of the time no one is working in the fabric dept. You have to go to Sporting Goods and they will call the front desk, they will announce someone needs help in fabrics, and if you are lucky someone may show up. The last time I was there a lady wanted 10 yards of one material and it took the girl 15 minutes to measure and cut it (and the customer's DH started taking it off the bolt for her after it took her 5 minutes to measure 2 yards.) This WM never lost their fabric and have gotten a lot of new stuff in, but if there is no one to cut it there is no need to have fabric. Thank you for taking such good care of your customers.
    A smile is the light in the window of your face that tells people you're at home.

I'd like to say thanks also for giving such good customer service. I hope your supervisor is aware they have a gem in you! None of the Walmarts in my area have fabric, they haven't in years. Sure do miss it.

What a fun job, to see the fabric combinations that people select and be able to touch fabric all day. Our WM no longer has the fabric department and I sure miss it. Lucky you.
    Michelle

Blog Entries
    Can you come organize our fabric dept.? I was there looking for some kids prints. What a mess that dept. was in. Too many bolts for such a small area and nothing was organized. Ours was staffed by a quilter until she decided to retire when they made the dept. smaller.
    Happy Quilting.

sounds to me like you've got the perfect job! if it were me, I'd be giving back my paycheck for fabrics every couple of weeks!!

There's an online source that I really like. I know you can't touch when it's online, but their prices are okay and I haven't been disappointed with any of the 20+ fabrics I've purchased from them. And unlike a lot of geometric prints, theirs (so far) are amazingly on-grain. www.connectingthreads.com

I make and sell kids clothing, so unlike the fabrics for quilts, these get washed at least once a week. They're holding up really well, so far.

There sould be more people like you working at WM. I am sure the lady appreciated your patience.
    Marie

Blog Entries
    How awesome of her to buy so much from Walmart - it's customers like her that will keep fabric in the store!

Blog Entries
    Sounds like fun to me! Probably, only people like me that are fabric addicted, would like to do this! LOL!
    Bonnie

Blog Entries
    Goodness...I wish our WM had fabric...42 bolts would be a nice start! I am so glad you went on your break!!!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    When I fabric shop I always have a cart full of fabric bolts. I take a few at a time to the cutting table I ask if I can put the fabric back for them while they are cutting. I always fold my fabric myself as I use the boards. I take the boards with me. All I have to do is place the fabric on my shelf when I get home. And neatly folded fabric on the board doesn't look like a lot of fabric in the bag at all. LOL
    Got fabric?

I used to work for Hancock fabric and I loved when quilters came in - I would rather skip my break than miss cutting and talking to them....needless to say I didn't work there for the money - I usually spent as much as I made but I do have quite the stash.

Oh what fun she had, wonderful you are such a good sport!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast