Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Accuquilt - Worth It?

I have the studio cutter and love it. I only use the geometrics also, I have not bought an applique die. Yes it is expensive, but because I have major hand problems I find this works for me and I can get things cut much faster. You don't have to buy all the dies at once, you can get them when they are on sale. Having used my Studio from Accuquilt, I wouldn't be without it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I use mine all the time. I don't have any of the applique' shapes, just the geometric ones, strips, triangles, squares etc. that I can use for many different quilt block patterns. For me, the accent is on accuracy, not speed. I don't cut more layers with my machine than I would attempt to cut with a hand rotary cutter (no more than 4). I love that my piecing is so easy because everything fits (I am careful with my 1/4" seams). many of the geometric dies have engineered corners, which aid in lining the pieces up. I've read that some people think it wastes fabric, but I don't see any more waste than when you square your fabric up when hand cutting. I don't think I cut any faster, just more accurately.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

It's worth it to me because he cuts are accurate and fit together with no problem when piecing (I piece by hand). I just finished piecing one and all 12" squares fit together perfectly. No trying to adjust so the square match. I may not all the dies I have each time I make a quilt but many of them are typical sizes for squares and HSTs. My DH insisted on buying it (I didn't want it) but don't think I could have done as well on this quilt without it.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Accuquilt GO, especially for applique projects!
    ~ Moedeenie

As mentioned you will find different views. Only you can decide if it is/will be worth it for you. I have access to the studio, and really like that one. I started using it for charity quilts and the 15 quilts I sent to Afghanistan last year in 6 months could not have been made with out.
    I own the Go, and have only used the 2.5 strip; I have been cutting strips and cross cutting them into 2.5 squares to use for English paper piecing hex's for GFG. This alone has been a great time saver.
    Consider what sizes you use and are those sizes available in dies.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

Thanks for this thread! I too have been tossing around the idea of one, but haven't decided if the value is really there for me. Will keep watching...
    Remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

but by the moments that take our breath away.

I like mine. They are expensive when you consider the dies. The mats last a long time. I use mine any time it is possible. It is a real time saver.

I don't have one but my 75 year old buddy does and it hurts her shoulders, I got a simplicity deluxe rotary cutter and I like it

I have the Go Baby and I really like it. I have the 2 1/2 strip and some squares and I use mine all the time. I am in the process of cutting a bunch of scrap material for scrappy quilts and the GO makes the process so much faster.

It really does depend on what you usually make. I think it's great for the drunkards path, pieces with rounded edges that are difficult to cut. The drunkards path has a cut little notch on each piece to make it easy to sew together. It's great for applique pieces and odd shapes.

another option is the quiltcut if you do mainly simple designs-but it also has some drawbacks. Wouldn't it be nice if we all had the space, money and time to get all the cutting systems to fill all our needs/wants/desires?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the ideas and opinions. Lots to think about. I started to think of adding one after "carefully" measuring strips to cut into HSTs and then "carefully" sewing 1/4" seams ... and ... can you guess where I'm going with this? That's right! Different sizes. Did I lapse into a teeny tiny coma while cutting? Anyway, maybe I need to pay more attention. Or maybe I need a cutter. Decisions, decisions!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Banned
    For me, I feel the AccuQuilt has paid for itself many times over. One example is that I now cut scraps and save the cuts in a large ziploc, until I have enough to stitch a block or two. These scraps were typically so small that I would have previously tossed. I have ended up making several beautiful quilts out of such scraps. To clarify, I recommend people pick one or two dies for this. The Value Pack die, that comes with the GO! is a great die for such scrap quilts. I have one scrap bag currently going with red/white/blue scraps cut with the Value Pack die and another scrap bag of cuts with dark-medium-lights in non-brights. I'm close to having enough cut and ready to sew two more tops.....all out of fabric scraps that would have been tossed if I would have needed to pull out a mat, ruler & rotary.

I have one and am sorry I wasted the money. The dies are expensive and my rotary cutter and Bernina 830 does all the same things and more. I would not suggest it to anyone.

Blog Entries
    I use mine a lot.

Blog Entries
    It's a whole lot faster to cut strips and squares yourself, but I do love the triangle pieces and half squares. I think they are pretty over priced for what they are. If you use it great, but for many it's another quilting toy to sit on a shelf somewhere. I have made little use of mine and I had to have it!

lol wish someone would give one away to me. I'd love one but I don't want to spend that much money

I decided mine was worth the price after cutting and making a tumbler quilt. Pieces were perfect and went together like a dream.

I love mine! I'm making a Grandmothers Flower Garden & the hexagon die fit the need quite nicely. Sure saved me a lot of time cutting out 4,000 hexs! Yes, there's waste, but no more than you would usually have when cutting out shapes.

I love mine. But the dies can get expesive. I have 3 friends who each own one so we tread our dies back and fourth.

I would much rather use Inklingo, You get many more options, accuracy and even a line to sew on. The only drawback is you still have to use your rotary cutter. The price is much cheaper than any of those cutters.

I don't know about the accuquilt, but I have the Alto QuiltCut 2, and I couldn't live without it!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have the studio it is well worth the money I've had mine about 5 years added new things too it when on sell it cut squares 10 at a time,lots faster than a rotery cutter.the strip cutter cuts strips perfect in no time

I couldn't do half of the stuff I do without my sister's GO. We both use it all the time and cuts the work required in half if not more AND you can count on every piece being perfect. That's a price worth paying for me. I'm thinking about getting my own and exchanging dies. I say GO for it.

Returned mine. Cuts were not accurate. Material waste was a huge factor along with the cost of the dies.

I don't own one but used the Go and studio cutters. The studio cutter was much easier for me to crank but it's considerably more money. I have no problems cutting out basic shapes with my rotary cutter so I opted for the Bernina Cutwork Software. Now, I can scan any shape into the software and cut as many that will fit in my jumbo embroidery hoop x 10 layers of fabric....and no extra dies to buy.

I have the Go cutter and love it also, especially for the 2 1/2 strips. I,m not the greatest at cutting straight and the
    cutter allows me to do this. I don't have all the dies, just the ones that I use the most. I would highly recommend it.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast