Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
After reading the unpleasant shopping post..... >

After reading the unpleasant shopping post.....

After reading the unpleasant shopping post.....

Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 AM

We have several quilt shops here and one Joann's. I only shop at one of those quilt shops because of the service. Erlene has always been there with answers and always willing to stop what she is doing to help me find something. She loves her business and you can tell in the pride she takes in it. I wished all shops were that way. I did visit another shop here in town and found it lacking in even the basic fabrics and the cashier knew nothing about quilting. Very sad.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 AM

I expect helpful friendly service where ever I shop. Not just LQS.
If I'm not happy with the way I'm being served I will speak up and if the employee's attitude doesn't improve I will seek out management. I also cannot abide being ignored while the person serving me has a private conversation with someone else. I will ask "are you serving me or talking with this person. You can't do both."
I figure that if I'm the paying customer I deserve that much respect. I'm not normally rude about it but if they are rude to me I will report them to management as they aren't doing what they are being paid to do.
Sorry folks, I'll now get off my soapbox. One of my pet hates- rude service or non-service.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 AM

I visited my daughter in Franklin, TN, this week, and got online looking for quilt shops. One had a very bad review, but I went anyway and was pleasantly surprised. I was in awe of all the fabric, and though it was messy, I loved it. The women were nice but left me alone, which I want. I'll be back next time I visit my daughter.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:59 AM

I guess I have been very fortunate as I have never been treated poorly in a quilt shop. In my hometown of Nelsonville we have Nelsonville Quilt Co., in Lancaster-Pleasent Mountain Stitchery, in Logan-Honey Fork Fabrics, and others in SE Ohio. If you are ever in this area check them out. And let me know,I'll come and meet you there. Lisa
Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 AM

We have two LQS w/in 15 min of me. They are both OK. It seems to depend on the staff on a given day. The owner of one of the shops recognizes me and speaks if she is up front when I come in. When that happens I seem to get good service from the rest of her staff. If she isn't in the front of the shop and the girls up front don't know me I get very mediocre service. I get a small discount there because I bought my machine from them and she has a good amount of sale fabrics to choose from. Our other LQS is hit and miss as well, with the owner being the most attentive member of the staff. When she isn't there her employees are like a little sewing circle and you have interrupted their day.
I do want to mention the name of a quilt shop where I got great service and I wished I lived close enough to visit often. Quilt and Sew in Fredericksburg, VA has a very friendly and welcoming staff and atmosphere. I was traveling with my daughter for Special Olympics and saw the shop online and just had to stop in. The ladies were very friendly even though they had never set eyes on me before. If you are ever in Fredericksburg - look them up - it's worth the trip!!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
Maybe there needs to be a quilter out there that does like they do on the show "Tabatha's Salon Take Over". If you ever watch that show, that woman goes in there and sets everyone straight! LOL

In this economy, you better have a good staff or you will lose business. With the costs going up, I want very good customer service. I don't care if you have every bolt of wonderful fabric, if the staff isn't friendly, you will lose sales.

Maybe we should send out "secret shoppers" to these local quilt shops and post reviews. I would say you have to visit twice in order to be fair. Then let the store know we will be posting our results on this board. Give them a copy of what we liked and didn't like. Tell the stores somebody will be back in a month to see if things changed and then the review will change.

Think it would work?! LOL
Sounds like a good idea. As I posted previously, I was in a new for me QS yesterday. The clerk was very friendly (didn't know what a OBW was), but the store owner seemed oblivious to my presence in the store (I was the only customer at the time). In browsing around I didn't see a single product on sale or clearance. I think to get anyone back you need to have specials of something daily or at least weekly to attract shoppers and especially return shoppers. I am not in a hurry to return to that store. IMO the owner should have paid particular attention to me and welcomed me to the store and told me about how she runs the place, classes, specials, etc.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 AM

Sometimes these 'RUDE' employees started out their day as very helpful, kind people, but the customers they have had to deal with all day have been impossibly rude and demanding.
I will say that my big pet peeve is an employee on the phone with a personal call while she tries to help me. I can just very obviously wait until the phone conversation has ended before I ask my question or pay my bill.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 AM

I'd say she is a very smart business woman too.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by quilterjody
My LQS is great. The owner makes it a point to call you by name. She even sets up a special night (beyond regular store hours) during the holidays for husbands (or wives) to come in a shop. You fill out a wish list and she helps them figure it out. I think she feeds them too. Her staff is so nice too. If you are ever in Colorado, check out Creative Cloth Closet in Canon City.
I should have included this quote with my remark about her being a smart business woman.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 AM

Maybe we could post experiences (good and bad) with customer service for online sites too.