Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Arizona Members? I'm considering a move in that direction!

My daughter and I are going to do drive bys on the $1000 starting bid houses today.
    She found out that the seller has a secret amount that they want for the house and if the bid dosnt come up to that amt. they can refuse the bid.
    Also the original owner has a limited amt of time to come up with the back amt due so can get the house back even after you bought it.
    You need to be pre qualified for credit purposes also.
    It is the US AUCTION website.

Well thats interesting info. About the owner having time to buy it back I wonder if they expect to hold your money during that time.?

I will not be buying on credit if I do not have enough cash I'll have to pass.

Do you know anything about motor home parking? If they are they pricey.

It seems pretty certain at the moment that I'll be coming alone. Well me and my cats :D It might be too riskey for my to go for a forclosure ubless I can inspect it and know that the homeowner has not totally trashed the place. I can do alot cosmetically, But I'll need something in fair structural shape. I've learned a lot from my husband. Especially when it comes to what is to big of a job for me :lol:

I have seen people park in Wal Mart Lots. Dont know about pay places.
    Yesterdey was a real eye opener. Our economy is in deep trouble if other areas are as bad as Phoenix.
    We drove for 5 hrs looking at forclosure houses. Most were in pretty bad shape and in poor nieghborhoods.
    One was in a nice place and a new house build in 2001. What was so shocking was that there were more houses sitting abandoned than were on the list for auction. The one for auction was a very nice 2 story and the house right next door and one across the street were both abandoned.
    You can tell cause the yards are all overgrown and the houses were emty. Some had signs saying bank repo and real estate signs. The very next block over had 2 single level houses, both abandoned.
    I have never seen anything like this before even in the 80,s when housing went bust.
    The auction is on June 26 and it is USHOMEAUCTIONS. Check it out on line. Sign up for thier catalog.
    Several houses should just be torn down and never rebuilt. The area was in south Phx and very poor.
    Some were in better places more north but still needed lots of work.
    Pools either drained of half full of swamp water. Bigger homes build around the 70,s.
    The newer house was in El Mirage where the planes from Luke airforce base fly over.
    Many of the houses were just left open and we walked in and looked around. Some had been trashed but not as bad as you would think for being emty for so long. We found more houses on the same blocks emty than ones up for auction. We did not drive around the neighborhoods, there are surely many more than we saw.
    It was an amazing expierience. We did not check out any houses with more than the $1000 bid. There are alot with much higher bids.
    My daughter in Cave Creek has been trying to sale their other house for almost a year. Somebody vandalized the pool so they took it off the market. It is a 700,000 dollar house that they could not sell for 590,000.

Wow! That is something! It Isn't anywhere near that bad up here. Housing is slow but still moving. Of course we have a commercial lot and it will be vacant and ready to build on. We are hoping for a fairly quick sale. Our fingers are crossed.

What about jobs. Where are these people going?

Do you know a good real estate agent? Someone who will be straight up about propwerty and the areas around it?

Dont know any Realtors.
    My dauther is going to the auction this Thurs. She has her eye on a couple of houses. One for fix up and one for her retirement.
    I will post what happens.
    I dont see how the banks can keep up with all the forclosures. there was a big real estate scam that was on the news. They have arrested 144 people so far. Somehow they were getting money to buy homes then just skipping out.
    Two big companies. Macys and Amazon are building big comercial buildings and will be hiring around 700 people each.
    Phx is a big city, if you have the skills jobs are there, just avoid construction right now.

That's funny, My husband is a contractor. But he wants to get out of it anyway. Is Amazon the same as Amazon.com?

My cousin's cousin is a realtor and is going to hook me up, But I'll need someone for each area I look in. I see 40 acre tracts over by St. Johns for cheap. I just need to figure out if I can afford to dig a well. There are a bunch of smaller plots there with water so I figure it must be there. The acres are going for as much as the forty. There it is if I buy an acre with water and a forty acre plot next to it I solve my dilemma. I'll have to check it out :lol: I'll be interested in hearing more. We have made up our minds to come it is no longer just an idea. We are in the process of sorting our belongings and putting everything up for sale. I hope this lot sells quickly enough that I don't have to spend a winter sitting in my motor home in MT.

Yes, it is Amazon.com
    St Johns sounds familiar but cant place it.
    I know water is a problem in Williams.

We just spent some time in Flagstaff for my husbands' work, and it's beautiful there! Around 87 degrees. My daugheter from Phoenix met us there, where she came from 115 degrees that morning.

St. Johns is up by the NM border. And the elevation is at 6000 ft. That's high like Denver. And has a climate like NM. The property is so cheap but it might still be to cold. I'd guess its' something like Flagstaff. The agent I spoke to told me it snows. We intend to go through there when we come over. I have friends in Albuquerque who have invited us to come up. I guess it will be about Oct. And I'm told there is plenty of carpentry work so maybe we'll hang out down there for a bit while we scope out the two states. I don't know how long it will take to sell our lot but we can always rent and explore while we are waiting.

Lots of cowboys in St. Johns! you know cowboys and their butt-tight jeans. . .

I DO! :wink:

Your better off in snow country. The desert is way to hot way to long.
    My daughter got the house she wanted at the auction. Only one other person bid against her. It is a nice little 3 bedroom with a fireplace in a good neighborhood. The starting bid was 39 thou. She got it for 85 thou.
    It has a pool and jacuzzi. 2 car garage. It needs some fixing up and it has popcorn ceilings, only one bath and very small bedrooms. She wanted it for a retirement home.
    The really bad houses in not so good areas were going for 50 to 100 thou. She would not pay over 20 so did not get one of those major fixer uppers.
    She was surprized she got the one she wanted so reasonable when the ones that were awful sold for so much.

IF I'm sure about one thing, it is that I am not better off in snow-country. :?

I would rather live in a tent in the desert than to stay in this cold in winter, mosquito infested state. I've actually lived in a tent in the desert before so I know what I'm talking about. :lol: Anyway I'm sure we'll find something to suit us. We are going to come down this fall and if out property hasn't sold we'll get some work while we get aquainted with the state. I'm really excited about the adventure. :cry:

Be sure to have an air conditioned car. It is very hot right now. Been hovering around 110 and my thermometer out side in the sun says
    My daughter is sure excited about the house and so am I.
    Good that you will come in the fall, much nicer weather. Last of Oct. it will finally cool off and be nice till the middle of May.
    Are you coming to Phx?
    Mountain areas are really nice. Some snow but not near what other states get. I lived in Show Low for over 5 yrs and the snow only went to 3ft once. Mostly only one ft. My sister has a cabin in Heber so they can excape the heat whenever they want.
    Lots of fires the last few years what with the draught it is highly flamable.
    My favorite is Prescott. Its big enough to have a Mall but still has a small town feel. And pines and some snow.

Actually at this pt. an Inch of snow is more than I want to see! :lol: Its been in the 90's here and that is hot like 110 in a dryer climate. We plan to have a place lower down by a town and one in the mountains.
    I am still looking at the area around Phoenix. As far as I can tell the best fixer-up deals are in that area. But the St. Johns area seems to have the best land deals. Even tho water seems to be deep, at least it is apparently available. However we will come down and live in our motor home until we have a chance to look around and find the best spot for us. There may be some waiting for our lot to sell so we could even be looking for a rental somewhere in the meantime. I have friends in Albuquerque who are interested in having us stay in that area and offered to put us up. He is also a carpenter and says he gets plenty of work. It sounds like it gets cooler than I'm wanting to settle in but I guess we'll be able to check it out first hand. I spent 6 ot 7 yrs in Co. Springs before we went to Seattle and I know the climate there. :roll:

Oh ya! It sounds like your daughter got a steal of a deal on that house. It was a forclosure right?

My favorite is Prescott. Its big enough to have a Mall but still has a small town feel. And pines and some snow.
    AND they have an In -N-Out Burger. Prescott has a cool downtown area.

Yes, it was a foreclosure. She is just waiting for the owner (GMAC) to accept the bid, they have 15 working days to make a decision.
    Meanwhile the green pool gets worse and since the back yard is open its dangerous, and against the law. At least she is not responsible yet, but what if some kid drowns in it? I worry about that. Its 110 degrees, no kids are outside at this time of year, at least I never see any outside. Its over 80 before the sun comes up. Monsoons should be coming soon. Hellacious thunderstorms with warm rains. The humidity goes up then for a couple of months.

I love Prescott's downtown, so old west. Love the victorian houses too.
    Of course whiskey row is not what it used to be, but still has one old bar left that hasnt been ruined. Courthouse in the center is cool too.

I think we are etting some thundershowers and hail sometime this eve. We already can hear some thunder.

We have been doing the yard sale for the last five weekends and have made a few bucks. esp on the bldg. materials we sold.

I have an offer on my place just don't know yet if I want to take it. I'm thinking it's about 10k to to low. Maybe I'll give a counter on it and see what happens. I can not find anything lately in the area that equals the zoning on my lot and is for sale as a blank pc. of property. (we planned to take down the house and sell the lot) The person who made me an offer wants the house on it. But I'm wondering why he would? Is he nuts enough to think about putting money into the place? or is he planning to turn the quick profit by taking down the house himself and selling the lot? I was not going to get a realtor involved but may need to do so to be sure I get a reasonable list price. I am not looking to overpriced, but also do not want to go to low. You know what I mean?

How did your daughter's deal work out?

What do you know about area schools? My sister may make the move also once she gets her property settled from the divorce. Her kids are 11 and 14. Her 14 yr old is quite a ball player and athletic. But due to the political climate of the schools in Helena she seems to think her son is being shut out because they are new to the area and do not have much money. I guess they have to buy a lot of equipment and pay a lot of ridiculous fees just to play baseball.

I have not really looked for property around Avondale. But I think I'll do that today. There was something else I wanted to do some looking into but, now I can't remember what it was!. I'm just afraid AZ will not be hot enough for me! :twisted:

It is over 100 degrees and muggy. This is the worst time of year here and will last till Oct.
    Avondale is not a good area to be looking, you want to go north.
    The west side is turning into Mexico. Graffiti is a problem and the crime rate seems to be going up what with the economy getting worse.
    My daughters house is in closing so we are waiting to get a key so we can start cleaning and putting in new floors.
    Bad time of year for all this, you feel hot and sticky all the time, yuk.

Really! it feels muggy here. Our high is your low right now. I am looking at property South of Phoenix, almost 1/2 way to Tucson. I was considering going further south even. So what happened to (It's a dry heat?) :lol: :?: I actually do not want to go N., as I am already north and want to go south! :lol: I just hope the hubby can hang. It's just for a few mos. right!, the rest of the year will be better.

I saw some cheap property up by St. Johns. I was going to look into that anyway. Maybe we will build a summer cabin. It snows tho, so definitely not my yr. round choice. I don't know, maybe I should look into going to Mexico in the winter, I know some people who do that. I just can't take take much cold anymore. Well really it's the ice. I have developed a Phobia, and it gets worse ea year. I can't stand to leave the house and am beginning to freak also, if I think about my hubby driving to work on it!

It is pretty muggy here at the moment I can feel it kicking in and it's not 9:00 yet. But I do not mind it that much. I could use a pool tho :D :D

We have a monsoon season that lasts 2 to 3 months. Temps over 100 and high humidity, today will be 112 and 45%. With the mountains on the east side of AZ and the desert heat in summer, the cold air and the hot air cause a monsoon. So we get rain and humidity. Thunderstorms can get scary too. I had a tree in my yard hit by lightning one time. Last week it poured down for a day. Now it is just cloudy and hot. Next week maybe rain again.

I can't wait! Rose Marie are you trying to scare me away? :D I do believe my place is sold. We will be tying up ends this week if he is as serious as he sounds. It sounds like Las Vegas weather. I do not get the high humidity tho. I have lived in Las Vegas, Colorado, (I Lived most of it out there in Tornado Ally where thunderstorms were the norm all summer, we were afraid to go for a walk out here on the flats around 6pm) Seattle, S. Korea, S. Carolina, Kentucky, N. CAL (San Francisco), And of course Montana, (where I grew up!) Also I spent time in Louisiana in August.

I would think the weather would be more dry during the summer high heat mos. Like around Bullhead City and Laughlan, NV. Are we talking a different climate? I remember the monsoons in Vegas, where it could be impossible to cross a street and in Pyong Tek. We would bath on the roof, the rain was warm enough, Only S. Korea also has a mighty cold winter as well. Oh well as long as it stays warm.

I'm beginning to think I should be shopping for real estate in Mexico! :lol: I just may have to buy an acre in the mountains for my husband just so I do not have to listen to him complain about the weather! I told him the reason I was wanting to buy two houses was for just that reason. Actually I heard him cussing at the soap in the shower one morning. So the weather is not the only thing that gets to him. But I figure he ain'ta goin to be happy no matter where we go so I figure I may as well be! As long as he has his shop and air conditioning he'll be O.K. For me it's my pool, patio kitchen and sewing room :lol: .

I have been keeping an eye on your forcast I'll have to remember to note the humidity for comparison.

I'd love you over for B-B-Q once we get settled.

I moved to the Phoenix area in February '06. The first summer was brutal. There were way too many 113*-115* days that year. I was good to about 108*, but after that I was miserable.

Something you'll need to do is get used to doing is keeping water with you at all times. The air is usually dry enough that after a 45 minute trip to the mall that I'm parched...and I never quite notice it until I've walked to the car. Even during the winter...keep it with you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast