Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Any Arizona Members? I'm considering a move in that direction!

AZ Sunrises I am with ya there. I lived in a tent for the first 6 mos. I was in NV. Jan into Aug. That is really getting aquainted with the elements. But no way could I have handled a tent in any month except two over here, those would be Jul and Aug. This year even that seems like it could be iffy. A teepee maybe? It's whole diff story :D Anyway I am so looking forward to the whole trip and becoming a "desert rat" again.

Are you in Phoenix the town? We have our eye on some fixup property in Coolidge and that area.

I'm about 20 miles south of Phoenix in Chandler....but I work in Phx.

:oops: I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I've been here 2 years and haven't been to Coolidge.

don't feel bad az sunrises,for 15 years i lived 5 min from sabino canyon and never visited, i still haven't.
    i relish my time off from work and people(sad to say) so i don't venture out in public much if I don't have to

OK! I did it! I sold my property we should be closing this week or on the 4th at the latest.

I made an offer on 40 acres up by St. Johns. Any one been up thata way? It may not be as bad as Denver but it does snow up there. I may need a winter retreat in the desert. I'm considering Mexico any one know anything about living in Mexico.

I still want to get say, 5 acres+/- , depending on price, in the warmest winter area. Any one have any suggestions? Oh! my assumption is that the destert in AZ is much like the Nevada desert in that it does not have a lot of flying insects! Especially the biting kind! I would love to find something wiht a Mountain view. I found 5 acre plots down by Douglas for a reasonable price. But it seems that no real estate agent in AZ wants to make an offer on property for me unless I inspect it in person first. I think that is just way over cautios. I tried to make an offer on the coolest fixerupper and got beat out by a contractor. I am still fuming.

Any way I should be down by the end of Aug .

St Johns is high desert country. I havnt been that far east. I did live in Show Low for a few yrs. It is in the pines. Holbrook is high desert also, not much there.

It's all rolling hills and grassland like Co. Springs with out the blizzards.

It may not be as warm as I really was looking for, but I think it is a solid investment however I look at it. The best thing is the space. Think of the peace and quiet. :D We have an inspection window so if we do not like it we can get out of it, we would just be homeless except for the motor home. Not such a problem except for the five cats. :lol: :roll:

I expect to get an idea about the well and solar power expenses today. I may buy another 40 out in that area for an investment. My hubby has brother's in Springs and Pueblo, CO. who maybe interested in coming out there as well as my daughter in Seattle, and my sister in in Helena, MT.

My dauther has land in Williams near town so she has water.
    Most of that area dosnt have water and it has to be shipped in.
    I dont know about St Johns but you should ask.
    No water even for wells in Williams, some of the area has pine trees but alot is just high bush country. Land is cheap there.
    It is the gateway to the Grand Canyon.
    Payson, Show Low and Heber are pine country and nice but expensive.

This is the same area that the town of St. Johns pipes water from due to the quality and abundance of it. Water is absolutely a necessity I agree. I couldn't build my pond without it! You will all just have to come on by when we get settled.

Hey gals I made adeal on a small house with an acre in Pinal country between Casa Grande and Coolidge. It has pool but they didn't sell it having one so I guess it will take some work to get it useable. The house is definate fixer upper but I am so excited to get on it. I already have design plans in mind.

I guess they have two Walmarts there in Coolidge so I can always apply there if I can't find anything else. I also have Correction Officer experience tho I am not very enthused about going back to that! We should be getting on the road by Monday. We will be in Butte for a day or two but no more than three. If anyone knows any cool places to stop and spend a short time along the I15 route and further South I'd love to have some input.

Congrats. You must be adventurous. Good luck. Do not kow that area so can't help you with your trip planning.

Oh yea I was born a rollin stone. Or a gypsy one! :lol:

My first day back on line :D We have been here out side of coolidge for about 6 weeks.

Ah... then you missed the hot days....

This was one of our longest summers ever... it's just now cooling down. I wonder if living way out there would make it cooler... away from all the freeways and such.

Welcome to AZ!

Well I got to enjoy quite a few days of 100 to 105 that was good and hot for a transplanted Montanian. But all I really needed was my pool. However I still have some work to do on it. It has some broken lights and plumbing issues. So the closest I got to dip was about a foot of water in the deep end and a couple floaty inner tubes. :lol: It was enough to cool down and fuel my imagination :lol:

Thanks for the work of welcome and It feels good to be back on line. If I ever get the home front whipped into shape I'll have my own sewing space at last.

Chandler is so close I have been there a few times, it is really pretty.

Lol, well all you really need is a little bit of imagination, lol.

I actually live closer to Tempe, I'm pretty much right on the border between Chandler and Tempe and I think you might be thinking of more of the farm land that is out that way. I live right by the mall. :)

Hope you like it here!

No I've been over to Tempe as well. We came in and out on Ray rd. to 10 and from 101. And actually had dinner at the Olive Garden. In a mal off of Alma School Rd. Or something like that. I'd be over there shopping more if I didn't have so many chores. :wink: I really liked that store SPROUTS, on Ray Rd. It isn't too badly priced for a health food store. I need to get over and check out the tile store I was told about. I think it is in there area between Chandler and Tempe also, And I hear there is a Habitat for Humanity recycled Bldg Supply store in Phoenix. I'm trying to make time to go check out. We have lot of remodeling to do.

I am planning to get a Farmers Market/Art & Craft Bazaar business going over here. I could sell stuff I grow or make. My husband is a carpenter and is wanting to build furniture and kids wooden toys. I also have plenty of space for rent to other vendors. I'm in the very beginning stages of the plan and have a lot of steps to go through. But if I had even a handful of vendors I could maybe get one starter event set up and advertised before Christmas. So I plan to put and ad in the paper now that I have the Internet. I'm still on my MT ph no Its a lot to do in the next few weeks but I'm hopeful it can be done. So if you know of any one looking for a venue to sell some thing lie that in this area I'd love to hear from them. I will be setting up a separate E-mail and hopefully a web page.

But, I'm really trying to get situated so I can sew. I have a Christmas Quilt for my MIL about 1/4 of the way quilted, I was working on it before last X-mas. It would be so cool to get it done in time this year. :-

Mostly though I need to find more energy or more time :lol: Both of those commodities seem to be in short supply.

Wow. That sounds like an awesome plan. I would be interested in helping out if you needed it :) I'm having a baby next Thursday, but I can have daddy watch her :) :)...

I went to an art high school so I know plenty of people that make fun stuff, paint, sew, such like that. I will send them your way :)

PS I live right off of Ray and the 101. Sprouts is an awesome store, you should check out Fresh and Easy as well. It's on Ray and Rural which is about 2 miles west of the 101.

Enjoy your new home, you will love the desert in the spring time. Actually, it is cooler out there, not as much pavement and cement as the big city :D The buildings seem to keep it much hotter. The evenings are much cooler in the desert. Casa Grande is a really nice area too. There is talk of putting the airport out that way between Phx and Tucson. You could have a great investment there. Enjoy the warmer....snowless winter. One thing about AZ, you can drive a couple of hours and ski, get cold, come home. Summers can be spent up north, especially if you have a motor home. Enjoy AZ :D

mireemal. Congratulations! How exciting. Do you know the sex?

That would be so great to hear from some Artists or I would seriously promote an event if I had even a handful of vendors. Monday I will be placing an Ad Just for vendors. I trying to get some weeds cleared of the place and some signs made as well. I would like to get something happening between T-Day and X-mas. I I guess I'll pick a weekend today so I can plan my advertisement.

I'd love to have see you come down and help if you are up to it. But, you have plenty of time at later events. In other words do not rush yourself. Do you hae other children? I only had one. I really wish I'd had more, now that it's too late :lol:

bluebird, thank you I will, I am enjoying the warmer climate.

Is it a fairly certain proposition on the airport placement? As long as it is not too close! I have heard rumours about a rock and roll amusemnt park to be openning down by Tucson also.

They have talked the airport thing for years, not sure where it stands now but is something you should look into. In Gilbert (and around Phx) there are wonderful craft shows from Oct thru Easter. Some with many vendors and wonderful handmade stuff. Look into finding them, you can put flyers at their sales also....drew very large crowds. They start in Oct. for fall and Halloween, then a big Christmas sale and then a spring/Easter sale. You may find flyers in stores or ads in newspapers. Well worth going to and you might find others that would want to come down to do yours also. Good luck.

There used to be an event called Country Thunder and I think that has been moved just south of Florence. An annual (?) event with lots of country singers. Have been away from AZ for many years.

Welcome to AZ.
    I have been offline for a couple of weeks during my move.
    Still unpacking.
    The big street fair in Tempe is the weekend of Dec. 6th. Parking on the street is free on Sunday only.
    This is the best of the street fairs, so dont miss it. Its right downtown Tempe.

I didn't know you were moving Rose Marie! I assume you are still in AZ though?

I will put that event on my calendr. I would really like to go.

Welcome to Arizona! I have lived here for almost 20 years and love it here! Yes, it gets hot in the summer, but I wouldn't trade the heat for slipping on the ice and freezing my toes! :D I love this time of year with our pleasant afternoons and cool sleeping weather.

In March, the Arizona Quilters Guild has its annual show. This year it will be at the Mesa Convention Center. You must come!!! Last year there were over 400 quilts and lots of great vendors too.

The Valley of the Sun/Phoenix area has a lot of really nice quilt shops too. I think there must be at least 20! I live in Surprise (northwest area near Sun City) and we just got our first quilt shop, The Quilted Cactus, in September. A friend just told me yesterday that a new one,The Olde Quilt Shoppe, opened recently on Cave Creek Road(north Phoenix/Scottsdale area). Pick up a free copy of the Country Register at a quilt shop and they will be advertised in there. Quilting is alive and well here in Phoenix even though our weather doesn't get to freezing much.

That's great news. I can't wait to come Do have any info on entering the show. I could have something done by then.

And The part about slipping on ice, is just the reason I'm here :D I spent two winters in MT and wracked up an ankle during ea. one! I am enjoying the nice weather. If I were in MT Or even Seattle now I'd pretty much be hermitted in for the duration. But not here. I'm loving it.

Just hope to have the pool all re-plumbed, re-wired and ready in time for the hot weather.

So, what are the monsoons really like? I am assuming those are not constant rain but rather frequent, sudden downpours. Are they warm?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast