Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me? >

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Old 07-07-2010, 02:56 PM

Speaking of odd encounters in quilt shops, the weirdest one I got was last year when I went to a LQS that I go to quite often. I know the owner well. When I walked in the door, there was an older woman in there browsing and when she saw me she instantly clutched her purse to her chest and drew back as though she thought I was there to knock off the place. Yes, I'm a man and that day I was in jeans and an old t-shirt, so I guess I looked "suspect". When the owner saw me she called me by name and struck up a conversation. The old lady just wandered off into the other room of the store, I guess she was trying to recover her nerves.

And if anyone laid a hand on my child like that ding-a-ling in the park, they'd be eating grass really fast.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:50 PM

I wish I would have been born with that gene missing. I was born with a double dose . :evil:
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM

My only encounter so far with someone questioning my fabric choices was when our Wal-Mart had their big Spring Fabric Bonanza sale that was a huge sale with all sorts of fabrics of all different kinds.

I had just started quilting and was eagerly grabbing anything that I thought might possibly work in a quilt. The lady who was my daughter's home ec teacher and had the kids all make a lap quilt for the nursing home residents, made some comment about how most of that fabric really wasn't suitable for a quilt that was going to be an heirloom and any quilt she made had to be out of top quality fabric, blah, blah, blah...

Since I remember the favorite quilt I grew up with being of primarily thinner fabric for the little pieces in the double wedding ring design, I just blew her off. It WAS a family heirloom...top given to my dad years before he and mother got married in 1938, quilted in the late 50's and used by me and my family until it literally wore out in the mid to late 90's. And it was the creamy white cotton in the middle of the rings, the 'nicer' fabric that wore out first! Go figure...
Old 07-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

This is a great thread, lol! Debbie, I would have loved to see that, glad you set HIM straight, lol!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 PM

I feel left out in a good kind of way. I guess I live a sheltered life because I don't have any "good" stories to tell! LOL I sure have enjoyed all of yours though. I feel the same about my kids & grandkids. I wouldn't let anyone misuse them in any way. I am very protective when it comes to them as we all are.
As far as quilts go,I do care what someone else thinks but I still would make it the way I like. Everyone should. We don't all have the same taste thank God. That is what makes all of us & our quilts unique.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by DianD
In the past, I have been verbally abused for not having children..."Whats wrong with you?
I got comments on that too. Tackled those with a straight-faced: "Oh it's better that I don't have any. They require food on a regular schedule and I'm not allowed to lock them up in the garage when I want to leave."

Left some people with their jaw dropped.
my Daughter has chosen to NOT have kids. when people comment to her, about her "lack" of chiclren at her age. or being married for that matter, she just tells them:
"If you can't keep them in the closet and play with them when you want to,and put them away, when your tired of them, i don't want anything to do with it."
it works for me! I respect her decision. at least she didn't have kids by "accident"..when she knew she didn't want them.

the only "quilt police" i have ever dealt with , were sewing machine snobs. I have what i love, what i can afford, and am happy with what i have. i went into a sew and vac shop, that sold one machine exclusivly..i went in to see what they had reguarding gadgets and threads,and classes they offered...and when they asked what sewing machine i had..i told them Janome..you would of thought i had the plague. thier "such and such group" that meets on certain days in the shop..well you know, i don't think i was allowed to come with my janome! LOL!
:XD:

when i see someone that looks like they are struggling with fabric or color choices..i offer help. and i ask others,strangers for advice in the shops..they may have a better idea!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:13 AM

Amen on the no sugar and honey from the North east !! We just don't take it there.I now live in the South and I don't take it here either!! I sure wasn't raised to be rude to anyone,but I was always told that if you couldn't use your fists then grab a club!! Thank goodness ,I have never had to make that option.I hate rude people!!! I think I would have rolled her uop in the quilt and put a couple of knuckle bumps on her head.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:31 AM

If I didn't know better, I'd say the woman was my 93 year old aunt. She is the original Chief Commissioner of Quilt Police. She is an authority on *everything*. What she doesn't know on any given subject you can write on the back of a postage stamp. There is only one opinion, and that is hers.

Doesn't matter what I or my youngest sister do, she always finds fault with it. The only time she has ever praised anything I've done was after I gave the Eulogy at my younger sister's funeral. She then said "I'm very proud of you". I had to wait 60 years for that, but would have rather had it said for something else I'd done.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:57 AM

There seem to be people in the world who wake up every morning just waiting for an opportunity to make an a** of themselves. I've learned to really feel sorry for them because they must have no friends and their familes must keep their distance, a really long distance. There is only one quilt in my house that has been put up for safe keeping and that is one my grandmother made and I used for my kids as a pallet on the floor when they were as young as 6 weeks old. It is a Dutch Doll quilt. When my grand daughter was born, the quilt again was down on the floor for her. The dolls really got her attention. As soon as her little hands could reach out for things she was touching the dolls. After a while I realized that she was actually "unsewing" some of the dolls and lifting up their clothes. So I put the quilt up thinking that I would repair her "unsewing" which I still have not done. She is now 16 and quilting with me. I don't know that I can repair her work because it is such a precious memory of her pushing her way around on that quilt.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by nana2
There seem to be people in the world who wake up every morning just waiting for an opportunity to make an a** of themselves. I've learned to really feel sorry for them because they must have no friends and their familes must keep their distance, a really long distance.
The Dragon Lady - as my aunt is called behind her back - is one of these. One of the reasons I moved 2 States away, and why my sister only goes down once or twice a year under sufferance. She is her executrix so needs to keep an eye on her.