Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me? >

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 AM

I am appalled at on how some people act in public....However, after reading some of your stories about what happens with your quilt...ARE THEY "GOLD" LINED or WHAT :)...Never seeing your quilts I am beginning to believe they are outstanding and people want them in their homes....lol. Just a suggestion have an extra one on your "bike" or in your "car" to give to them. (Hope you know that I am only typing this in "fun"...we do have to look on the brighter side sometimes). I do agree with others if someone grab my little ones at any time...ok, I would not even print what would happen to them.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Wow, I am glad I have never had an encounter like those described here.

I am wondering if there is ever an appropriate time to comment on someone else's quilt? I ask because a situation recently arose in my HOG (motorcycling) group. For years I made T-Shirt quilts for the club to raffle off. Unfortunately the last few years I was totally burnt out on it and did not offer. One of the girls who works in the shop volunteered to make it. I saw it hanging in the shop and know it will not last through 3 washings. She did not use any interfacing on the T shirt squares, it has tons of loose fabric hanging in the back and she only tied it in the corner of each 12" square. I know of no poly batting that can be tied 12" apart and still last and by the feel of it, it has a poly batting. I believe W&N even requires more closer tying or quilting, I think at least every 8". I have said nothing because it really isn't my place to say anything. Should I without seeming bitter or a know it all or a quilt police?
Better to just leave it alone. It's sad for the people that end up with it, that it won't last, but it is a raffle quilt, so they shouldn't be out a ton of money on it. Eventually, word will get around that her quality isn't good, and they won't want her to make another one. They'll be begging you to make one. :lol: :lol:
This way, you just look like the sweet quilter that you are, that makes great quality products. If you "tell on her" you risk looking like a snotty know-it-all. It would be hard for me to bite my tongue, though!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
There were about three nails holding up a quilt that looked like it was at about 6 x 8 feet.
Yikes. I have three nails in a 3x3 quilt (it has embellishments on it). My brother's queen size that he uses as a big wall hanging has four, but he wanted it to "sag" (he calls it "drape" ) so we just cut slits & used Fray Check next to the binding to stick the nails through & used larger nails for it.

Interesting topic, there are some incredibly rude people out there! The worst I've had in person was someone telling me a hanging sleeve was "attached improperly". Well, it had openings on two ends and was attached at the top and bottom, I didn't see any "wrong" about it! This being Dublin, my response to her (in the local vernacular) is unprintable in a public forum. Is it any wonder I like hanging with nails... sigh.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 PM

ok, see, this is why we even have the term quilt police....why do you make quilts> I make them because:
1. I like sewing
2. i like playing with different colors of fabric
3. I like taking things apart and putting them together in different ways
4. I like giving them to people and have them say "oooooh, how pretty! For me? Thanks so much!"

so you can critique my choices, criticize my workmanship and be horrified at my colors, but I don't really pay attention...nowhere in my list does it say "trying to please everyone"

and I would have decked anyone that touched a child of mine!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DianD
In the past, I have been verbally abused for not having children..."Whats wrong with you?
I got comments on that too. Tackled those with a straight-faced: "Oh it's better that I don't have any. They require food on a regular schedule and I'm not allowed to lock them up in the garage when I want to leave."

Left some people with their jaw dropped.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by DianD
In the past, I have been verbally abused for not having children..."Whats wrong with you?
I got comments on that too. Tackled those with a straight-faced: "Oh it's better that I don't have any. They require food on a regular schedule and I'm not allowed to lock them up in the garage when I want to leave."

Left some people with their jaw dropped.
:D

Scary thing is - some people actually have done that.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i
3 years ago, on the 4th of July we were in the park, myself, kids, and granddaughters...it was after the parade; this woman walked up to my granddaughter (she was 10 at the time) and literally yanked her quilt right out of her hands and demanded to know 'WHERE IS YOUR MOTHER?!?' I turned around and came to the rescue...along with the person whom i had been standing talking with 5 feet away...he was the town chief of police :-D . said woman was very obnoxious, (maybe drunk at 11am?) she was so 'indignant' she wound up going to jail...cited for public disturbance and assaulting a child...she paid lots in fines and was ordered probation for a year!
AND WE STILL TAKE OUR QUILTS EVERY WHERE WE GO
ya think we are just 'asking for it'? or just slow....
That lady should thank her lucky stars that fines and probation was all she got. If I had been there, I would have dropped her right where she stood. No law enforcement would have deterred me or arrested me. I am normally a very shy and submissive person but when you mess with my kids or grandson, you are messing with mamma bear. Your story has given me the courage to bring my quilting out of the closet. I am not going to care what anyone else thinks of my work now. If they don't like it, they don't have to look at it.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:16 PM

I have been accused of being the Quilt Police, but only with affection. As an instructor I feel it is my obligation to help quilters improve their skills. I offer constructive assistance in a most positive manner. However; I know Quilt Police can be brutal and upset someone who loves what they are doing and doesn't need to be criticized. My motto has and always will be "It's your quilt." That meaning, if you like it, it's great. I hope all that rambling made sense.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 PM

After reading all these I don't feel so bad. ALthough it has nothing to do with quilting, but with laying hands on my child....My daughter was 14 and playing in a soccer tournament when 4 girls from the other team jumped her. Their coach runs out on the field, grabs my daughter and starts shaking her. OMG...I jump off the bleachers, run across the field and before our coach could get to me, I had that man shaking him and then my finger in his face reading him the riot act. I was so mad I was shaking. He kept backing off the field and I followed. My daughter has never forgotten that. It's funny now but it wasn't then. He did lose his license to coach when our coach filed a complaint. He's lucky all I did was shake him, I never even put my hands on my child in anger. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:34 PM

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

This is one of the funniest threads yet!!!

These are great stories.

I'm still wondering what's the crime in a child having a quilt and will try to start with How Kind of You when I really want to say something else!