Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone besides me store their cutting mats under their area rugs? >

Anyone besides me store their cutting mats under their area rugs?

Anyone besides me store their cutting mats under their area rugs?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:02 PM

My mat that I don't use as often and my not currently in use rulers are on top of the refrigerator. Close at hand, easy to reach and not in the way. No rugs! Too many snippets to want a rug in my sewing area. Had one once before and it looked horrible.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
I use the command strip hangers with the metal hooks, and hang things on the wall behind the doors that always stay open. The biggest mat just lays on the extra bed when not in use.
I have the large cutting table with a same size mat on top of it. The remaining mats, along with some rulers, are stored on command hooks and nails on the back and one side of a dresser (from thrift store) while the Big Board is on top of the dresser. This way, I know where the mats and rulers are.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 AM

Not a bad idea but with all my dogs, their hair and all the sand they carry in during the summer, mine would be a huge mess. I store my mats and rulers behind a large antique cabinet, my favorite large mat is always on the dining room table that is currently my quilting area.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:43 AM

I store my big one underneath the table protector on my dining room table ( you know, the mat that lies underneath the tablecloth) The mat is waterproof so I don't have to think about anything leaking on it and when I want to cut something I just lift the tablecloth and the mat and voila!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:54 AM

My solution is to keep the mats on the dining room table (where I cut all the time) and covering them with a plastic table cloth and then the real table cloths and voila no one knows they are there and I have nice flat mats all the time and no storage problem@
Old 08-20-2013, 04:05 AM

I store mine under a dresser because I am not sure it would be good to walk on it all the time.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:06 AM

I love the idea of the area rug, I just don't have one.

My extra large mats and my duplicates (hand me downs) live under my bed. I have also stored my medium to small sized mats tucked behind my flannel covered insulation panel that I use as my quilt wall. Works like many of the other ideas already submitted. The mats are handy and stay nice and flat. My favorite mid-size mat never leave my sewing area in the kitchen. I have a long lower than standard counter that is perfect for my machine, cutting mat and room to spreading out my work. I can watch the snow blow by, the birds dash in and out or the flowers in bloom while I sew.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:16 AM
sap

Area rugs, not in my house, to much of a hazard. I use a pants hanger and hang them on a hook behind a door.

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
That implies we have area rugs..which are a dangerous fall risk.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:13 AM

When I sewed in my bedroom I kept my mats & rulers under the bed. It's an ensemble and very low to the floor. Now the rulers hang on my peg board and I have room for my cutting mats.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:15 AM

I have 2 and when not in use I store the extra one under the bed.