Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone get this line and feel like you've been slapped?

Please don't let someone say things like that and get you down. There are plenty of people who work and quilt, although they may take years to get a quilt done. We all do what we need to get done, and if you're not able to physically have a job, you do what you can and no one will think less of you. You are doing a "job", you're giving comfort to those much less fortunate that you.

You ARE working. Just because someone doesn't work outside the home doesn't mean they don't work.

That person should follow this: "Lord, put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth!"

LOL

Blog Entries
    We all make time for what we want to do. And some use that line to justify their non involvement in activities.

It was just an excuse for her not doing something equally charitable. It lets her off the hook, she's not interested in doing it herself and doesn't want to find the time to do it.

I'd take it personally also, I'm thin skinned. It annoys me to no end that I allow thoughtless people's comments to bother me.

Keep thinking, "Like water off a duck's back. It's slides off me and doesn't stop and take hold in my brain"

Blog Entries
    You are the one that God is using! He has a plan and you're part of it. Enjoy the ride and don't let the dark side creep in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger
    So, I make comfort quilts for children's hospital. Got hit by the "Oh I don't have time, I work." comment..
    My face still stings after that. Felt like I was slapped.

If I could work, I would !! Was really nice and told this woman, "OK, but I do have time. "

hmmm.. in the dumps today.
    My reply is always, "If you want to do something bad enough you will MAKE time." That usually shuts them up. What those people don't realize is that we "non-workers" are busier than those who work at a "real" job. I love the one I have been getting when I tell people I am making charity quilts; "How nice of you." I don't do it to be "nice". I do it because I can and love sewing. Don't let it get you down. Too many people open their mouth before they put brain in gear.

I never thought that I was hurting peoples feelings by saying that I don't have time to do certain things, because I work.

Blog Entries
    Busy people usually are the ones who FIND the time to get things done - I have worked all my life - I quilt - I don't quit everyday because some days I can't but if you want to do something - you do it.
    That woman just isn't organized or thoughtful or giving. Her loss -- don't let her inadequacies affect you !

:( Don't let it get you down! I still get that a lot but now its "I don't have time, I work full-time" because I chose to work parttime so I can be available to run my kids around for all their activities. So people think I just have all this time on my hands and do nothing. Oh well... I just ignor them and go on about my business. I think you are AWESOME to make quilts for the children's hospital. I know that your quilts touch so many people. Keep On Quilting :) You are making the world a brighter place!
    Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger
    So, I make comfort quilts for children's hospital. Got hit by the "Oh I don't have time, I work." comment..
    My face still stings after that. Felt like I was slapped.

If I could work, I would !! Was really nice and told this woman, "OK, but I do have time. "

hmmm.. in the dumps today.

I've learned to not react to a person's incensitive remarks realizing they are in a different frame of mind and probably didn't mean for the remark to be rude.

People always have excuses! I worked for years and still found time to do volunteer work and raised 2 sons as a single mom.what your doing is priceless. Shame on her keep up your good work!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    I understand How you feel I am unable to work because of a back injury I look at quilting as my job my chance to give back and feel like I am part of society again your job is to quilt you get paid in gratitude which is worth so much more.and look at it this way you get to do what you love to do how many people can say that?!
    I feel you, the same goes for me..

just trying to find something I can do to keep my time Occupied, so I don't go stir crazy..

I've worked most of my life since I was 16 years old, except the first few years my boys were born and now there gone and I don't know what to do with myself since I can't work any more...

I can't sit long periods of time, stand or lay...
    And right now getting injection in my back for pain...
    I have this same problem as Donna and I often can only sit at the machine for a few minutes ata time but when people look at me and say something like that I just consider the source. I would love to have a job that paid money. This is not my choice. Keep doing your good work and pray for people like this.

don't let this get to you. you should be happy that you can afford not to work and spend your time quilting.

i'm sure she would love to not work.

i've always made my living from selling my art and when i was a starving art i heard it from many family and friends.

Love this!!!!, and completely agree. :thumbup:

(In reference to "lalaland" comment)

Quote Originally Posted by SeamsLikeIt
    Love this!!!!, and completely agree. :thumbup:

What you don't work, you do housework, you make charity quilts, in my book that's still working. As for the unpolite comment-what does she do in the time she's off "work"...not to hurt feelings of anyone, but I work a full time job, help DH on the farm and am on my 14th quilt in a year. Perhaps not having time is not her issue.

You are a wonderful person for donating your time and material

I don't take any of my quilting projects when I go to appointments. What happened to me is I sew most of my clothing and the gal sitting next to me at my dental office was admiring my blouse and asked what store I purchased it at. When I told her I sewed it myself she stopped talking to me. When I stood up to go in to see the dentist she pulled me aside and told me you know you can get free clothing from the good will if you can't afford it. I told her I don't need charity I enjoy sewing my own clothes and I also am a quilter with tons of fabric. She got very red in the face.

Don't take it as a slap. I have had that said to me many times and I do work full time. I think some people use work as an excuse to get out of things they really don't want to do or are afraid to try. I know many women who both work and quilt. Anyone who really wants to will find time!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    I don't take any of my quilting projects when I go to appointments. What happened to me is I sew most of my clothing and the gal sitting next to me at my dental office was admiring my blouse and asked what store I purchased it at. When I told her I sewed it myself she stopped talking to me. When I stood up to go in to see the dentist she pulled me aside and told me you know you can get free clothing from the good will if you can't afford it. I told her I don't need charity I enjoy sewing my own clothes and I also am a quilter with tons of fabric. She got very red in the face.
    Oh my! It's usually more expensive to make your own clothes! LOL

Blog Entries
    I understand just how her words made you feel. I get those same words from my DH at times. And then, he is not Dear Hubby!! And co-workers think I have it made. NOT!

I work but only PRN for now. DH went to night shift and I also work nights, so one of us had to cut back hours to make sure someone was home with DD at night. I also watch our 2 grandbabies for DD and SIL, who work nights also.

I may only "work" PRN at a job, but I clean house, cook, pay bills, do laundry, do daycare, etc. everyday. That is a never ending job. I wish I could stop at 3pm or so and just not do another thing til the next day at 8am. But I know I am here for my DD's and grandbabies.

I wouldn't let a comment like that bother or insult you. I just feel that comment is used to make excuses for getting out of something they don't want to do. I've heard it from so many people...."Oh, I don't have time to quilt because I work", "No, Johnny can't play in Little League because I don't have time to take him. I work." or "I can't make sandwiches for the church supper because I work." Just excuses.

I always get tired of these comments too, little does one like this know. Someday, she won't be working, then maybe when she hears these words, she too, will realize, what a dumb thing to say! Age doesn't matter, retired or just a homebody, some working people just don't get it, do they! Think of it as their loss, cause it is! I use to make most of my clothes, when I worked even, & other workers would say, I don't have time to sew. Well, you make time for whatever you want to do, & if you don't want to do it, you will never have time!

Blog Entries
    Not a slap in your face, more like a
    slap in the one who said it.
    We all MAKE time if we think it's
    important and something we want to
    do. Keep up the good work!

Blog Entries
    I worked for 40 years, driving 55 miles each way to work and back, raised 4 sons, and I STILL had time to quilt for charity and fun. When people start throwing excuses, I always think to myself, "Yeah, and the grass is growing outside." Helps!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast