Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 440 QE >

Bernina 440 QE

Bernina 440 QE

Old 10-18-2010, 04:34 PM

I have a B930. I had been wanting a Bernina for a long time. There was an ad in a LQS newsletter for a B930 for $1000. Only used to sew one garment. The lady had a B830 and really liked it and let someone talk her into buying the 930. She took one class with it and stashed it in her closet. Then she found out she had macular degeneration so decided to keep the 830 cause she knew how it worked without having to look so she could sew without much sight. I got the 930 for $950. My Bernina repairman told me that this model was intended to be the workhorse of the Bernina line but it turned out to cost to much to produce and it was only made for one year. But not to worry about parts for it. Love this machine. linda
Old 10-18-2010, 04:37 PM

I have one and love it, have the embroidery attachment also and love it too. use both a lot. I have had a lot of other brands but like this one best.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:49 PM

Stupid question but why would Fons and Porter (daughter), Eleanor Burns, and Nancy Z. all support Baby Lock now and not Bernina. What do you think?
Old 10-18-2010, 04:54 PM

I guess Baby Lock offered them more money to sponsor them. That would be my guess. Nancy used to advertise Pfaff.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ccthomas
Stupid question but why would Fons and Porter (daughter), Eleanor Burns, and Nancy Z. all support Baby Lock now and not Bernina. What do you think?
I've been wondering the same thing - feel rather disappointed in Fons and Porter that they would switch brands after featuring Bernina for so many years.
I hope the Bernina company is "listening" to all our positive and favorable comments on their products!!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

I've had the 440QE almost 4 years, and I love it. I used the BSR on every quilt until I got a longarm. I also bought the embroidery module, but I haven't really used it.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:03 PM

I bought the 440 a year a go it was horrible to get the program on my Vista,it works great on the XP but I finally got it on, I loved the embroidery and the sewing , BUT if I did not have a computer to hook it up to I would be in trouble because you have to hook up to a computer, for the embroidery part that costs extra any way I traded it in for the new 830 for a lot more money, BUT all of the hoops, the attachments and the program work on it , :thumbup: Go for it
Old 10-18-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
I love my Bernina 440 QE. I don't know about similar models that are cheaper because I have little experience with comparing models and manufacturers. My husband "gave me this Bernina for Christmas" -- tee hee -- but I waited until the following September to actually purchase it when a local store had its annual 25% off everything-Bernina sale. Since I bought this machine, I have discovered lots of people who own this model and I've never heard any complaints about it.

Incidentally, I did not get the embroidery attachment, which was an additional $1,000, because I am not interested in that whole 'nother aspect of sewing.

I also own this same machine and I also do not have the embroidery attachment as i was not interested in that. I LOVE this machine and don't ever plan to part with it.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 PM

I have the Bernina 440 QE. I got mine in August and LOVE IT! It was a major purchase for me, but so far I am very pleased. I don't have the embroidery module yet, but I plan on getting it...someday! :)
Old 10-18-2010, 07:42 PM

I have a 440 QE and it is very good. However, I don't like the front load bobbin. I have the BSR, and find that I FMQ better without it. I would suggest to you that you look at a Baby Lock or a Brother. I have a Project Runway Brother to take to class and love it.
Just my opinion. If I had to do it over again, I would go for a good Baby lock and spend the extra money on something else.