Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 440 QE >

Bernina 440 QE

Bernina 440 QE

Old 10-18-2010, 07:49 PM

I've had my 440QE for about 5 years and I love it! I've sold off some of my other machines, and use the Bernina almost exclusively. No embroidery module - not into that.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 PM

I have the 440 and love it. Had no problems at all except one, I now want the big Bernina - 820 with the quilt frame :)
Old 10-18-2010, 11:01 PM

I bought a new one in 2009. Just absolutley love it. Although I have not even touched the surface of what it can do. It is amazing. Worth the price I paid for it in Alaska. Got the embroidery module with it also. I had for 35 years a Kenmore therefore this is a way up step for me. I sewed on the new bernina 300 series and I do not like it. Will stick with the my 440QE.
Enjoy and jhope this helps.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 AM

I have had a 440 OE for many years now. I bought when they first came out. I had an Artista 180 before that. I now have both machines and a 330 Deco. I love all of them to death, but my 440 is my love. She quilts like a dream and has always been easy to use. She is my best friend and never lets me down. Resently, my dealer said they had a big sale for a new machine. Hint hint! I said no thanks, I'm not giving my 440 up. So if you love to sew or quilt by all means indulge yourself and see why they are #1. I have sewn on many machines in my life but this is the best. :-D
Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 AM

I have the 440 and the embroidery unit which I purchased about three years ago. I love them both!! I have not had any problems with either. I purchased a Bernina because several of my “Quilting Buddies” had Berninas and they loved them. Also, the 440 comes with the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) which helps you regulate your stitches when doing free motion quilting. The embroidery unit sews out beautifully. As stated in other posts, your computer has to be hooked up to the sewing unit to run the embroidery software, but I like it that way. You have a nice big screen to view designs. Before you purchase the 440, I would compare them to the higher end Berninas. I did but I chose the 440. Sometimes you can get a good used when someone trades up to a higher end one. I can’t compare the 440 since I have no knowledge of any other sewing machines.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:58 AM
RST

There are a few features I wish the 440 had, which it does not.

I wish it had a larger bobbin and a low bobbin indicator. I don't mind the front load bobbin, but some people don't like that.

I wish it had the tie off and auto-snip of threads when you come to a stop -- I think Pfaffs do that?

I wish it had the larger harp to make it easier to get a larger quilt in there (though I have successfully free motion quilted a king size on mine.)

But all told, I think a read through of this thread shows that the vast majority of people love theirs and find it a great investment.

RST
Old 10-19-2010, 09:24 AM

I have had a few machines in my time, but I do love my Bernina
I have a 155, just wish I had the Stitch Regulator feature, maybe some day, I will trade it for the 440. I have had mine for 5 years, and never had to have it serviced, take good care of it and it will take care of you. Happy Sewing.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 AM

Also, a question for Bernina people....my friend decided
instead of purchasing the patchwork foot, she actually
moves the needle a couple positions over to get a true 1/4"
Has anyone tried this method? (Since the foot is over $30.
rather purchase material..LOL
Old 10-19-2010, 09:30 AM

When I took my class two weeks ago, they said move it 2 spaces to the right and using Foot #1 you had a 1/4" stitch. I haven't measured it, but could check it and see. Hope that helps you!

Originally Posted by jdeery
Also, a question for Bernina people....my friend decided
instead of purchasing the patchwork foot, she actually
moves the needle a couple positions over to get a true 1/4"
Has anyone tried this method? (Since the foot is over $30.
rather purchase material..LOL
Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by grannyoquilting
I have had a 440 OE for many years now. I bought when they first came out. I had an Artista 180 before that. I now have both machines and a 330 Deco. I love all of them to death, but my 440 is my love. She quilts like a dream and has always been easy to use. She is my best friend and never lets me down. Resently, my dealer said they had a big sale for a new machine. Hint hint! I said no thanks, I'm not giving my 440 up. So if you love to sew or quilt by all means indulge yourself and see why they are #1. I have sewn on many machines in my life but this is the best. :-D
I was a diehard Janome user for many years until I got to use a Bernina 440QE at the Vermont Quilt Festival last year. I couldn't believe the beautiful free motion quilting stitches it did. Not having enough $$ for a brand new Bernina, I bought a used 180E and absolutely love it for free motion quilting.

I will never get rid of my Janome 9000, which is a workhorse, however it is not a good machine for free motion quilting (gives "whiskers" on the back side). I am still getting used to the Bernina at this point, but love it.

Tina, there are a ton of positive comments in this thread about the Bernina 440QE. You will not be disappointed with this machine. I hope you decide to get one. :thumbup: