Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I just scream in frustration because you will all understand? >

Can I just scream in frustration because you will all understand?

Can I just scream in frustration because you will all understand?

Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM

Posting this letter here just might be your answer to the problem. How would Singer like to know that the WHOLE world, so to speak, just read this letter. Won't sell to many machines would it ? But to give you a new machine or pay shipping would put them a better light with the a group of sewing machine buying women. Just mention what you have done and see if it works. My father did that with a set of very expensive tires and ended up with a new and better set of tires. GOOD news travels just as fast as Bad news sometimes. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM

Posting this letter here just might be your answer to the problem. How would Singer like to know that the WHOLE world, so to speak, just read this letter. Won't sell to many machines would it ? But to give you a new machine or pay shipping would put them a better light with the a group of sewing machine buying women. Just mention what you have done and see if it works. My father did that with a set of very expensive tires and ended up with a new and better set of tires. GOOD news travels just as fast as Bad news sometimes. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:50 PM

Sorry to hear about your lemon.I have had a quantum XL 6000 for five years with no problems.I have it serviced once a year and it runs perfect.They say this machine was made by juki.Wish you luck.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Check the bobbin, sometimes when you thread a new bobbin, the beginning thread sticks may out just a little-- enough to make the machine think you are out of bobbin thread. I had this problem with my machine and this is what a repairman told me, haven't had a problem since. Check your manual for winding the bobbin. One mine I wind the thread around the bobbin a few times and let the bobbin winder do the rest. I do not hold the thread when I start the bobbin winding....that's where the little tail is created.

I hope this helps.

Originally Posted by DonnaC
My "main" (in other words, most expensive) sewing machine has just stopped working and I'm so frustrated!

It's a Singer Quantum L-500 that I purchased a while back when the model first was released (BIG mistake). It's already been back to Singer in Tennessee twice for warranty repairs. It's a good machine when it works correctly, but when it doesn't, the problems are pretty serious.

Today I was sewing along and it just STOPPED dead. The low-bobbin indicator keeps coming on, and it won't sew. I've tried everything - changed the bobbin, the thread, the needle, cleaned it out, talked sweetly to it - nothing.

I just sent a somewhat nasty note off to Singer asking how long they expect me to struggle along with this LEMON of a machine before they acknowlege that it's a piece of cr*p and send me a new one. The second time I had to send it back for warranty repair, they made ME pay for the shipping, and there's no way on God's green earth I'm paying another $65.00 to return it again... THEY can pay this time. I've just had it. Right now I've got a $1,200 paperweight on my hands and I'm not a happy camper.

Okay, now I feel better. I'm going to get out my lovely little workhorse Kenmore that never gives me any trouble, and try to finish the project I'm working on.

I just knew you guys would sympathize, and I needed some sympathy.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:08 PM

Sorry you're having so many problems! Maybe Singer will put on their big boy panties and step up. I have several Singers and would not hesitate to raise cain if they had problems and Singer didn't pay attention to my calls. And then I'd go out and buy another brand!
Good luck!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Go right to the top and call their corporate offices. Be sweet and state your troubles and just perhaps you will have all your cares melt away.
I have stopped bothering with warranty people and customer service reps who really don't give a rat's patooty about my problems, so I just go right to the top!!
Good Luck!! And let us know what happens!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:15 PM

So much for customer service.
I bought a Viking Quilt Designer in 2003. Had nothing but trouble with it for the first year and a half. The dealer that I was talking to made me feel like it was something that I was doing wrong.(And might I just add that that attitude irritates the p-waddin right out of me!) He finally replaced one part and it has been fine ever since. Now I absolutely love that machine....however if it ever quits, I will just use my Singer 301 or Featherweight. I'll NEVER buy an expensive machine again.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Here in Seattle, we have a newscaster who handles problems for people! Do any of your local news stations have such a thing. This guy seems to be able to have the right connections and always seems to get satisfaction for the people he helps. I know we are a long way from you, but to just let you know what I am talking about, it is on NBC King 5 news, Get Jessy.
Good luck. (-:
Old 09-12-2011, 04:40 PM

I love my Viking, Uses cams for stitch selection, My Brother is my go to machine, And My Europro Machine is in its case and in storage. I learned to sew on my mother's Brother machine when I was a child. IN high school I made all the clothes I wore to school on her machine. My teacher in one class asked me where I had bought the outfit I was wearing, I told her that I made it myself. Daughter doesn't know how to sew, she will not learn from me.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:57 PM

I have not heard anything good about Singer. They used to make a quality machine, but from what I've heard, their quality has really slipped. Everyone here buys either Bernina or Janome. Janome has a wonderful trained service center at Murphy's.
I think a few people in my guild have bought other brands, but it sure pays to be able to get local service.