Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I just scream in frustration because you will all understand? >

Can I just scream in frustration because you will all understand?

Can I just scream in frustration because you will all understand?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:57 PM

I have not heard anything good about Singer. They used to make a quality machine, but from what I've heard, their quality has really slipped. Everyone here buys either Bernina or Janome. Janome has a wonderful trained service center at Murphy's.
I think a few people in my guild have bought other brands, but it sure pays to be able to get local service.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:30 PM

i've been told if you have a problem like this look on-line for the ceo's name and send him an e-mail and they usually will see it's taken care of and if there is someone mentioned higher up send them the message. you can usually find the name on the computer. good luck. sue
Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Donna, I would wright a letter to your newspapers "Letter to the Editor" page if you have that feature and send a copy to the CEO of Singer. I'm sure you can get his/her name from the internet. I hate to say this but he could be in China. I would also try every avenue to get the CEO's telephone number and call. Just a thought but I believe in fighting. peterparley
Old 09-12-2011, 11:34 PM

Technology is great when it works and frustrating as all get out when it doesn't work.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:20 AM

My heart goes out to you. Singer should replace your machine.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Argh!! I feel your pain, especially since it has to be boxed up and shipped - taking to a local dealer is enough of a pain when it's frequent.

I remember reading the horror stories about the Bernina 830 when it first came out and the frustrations those people went through.

I agree. I rarely buy the "new" model anything (especially car!). I'd rather wait until I can read reviews.

Good luck.
I had trouble with the first five thread Bernina serger. It was a design flaw. Then the sewers who bought that 1630 lemon started having trouble. They had to replace three in my sewing group alone. There is nothing angrier than a sewer without her machine.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC
My "main" (in other words, most expensive) sewing machine has just stopped working and I'm so frustrated!

It's a Singer Quantum L-500 that I purchased a while back when the model first was released (BIG mistake). It's already been back to Singer in Tennessee twice for warranty repairs. It's a good machine when it works correctly, but when it doesn't, the problems are pretty serious.

Today I was sewing along and it just STOPPED dead. The low-bobbin indicator keeps coming on, and it won't sew. I've tried everything - changed the bobbin, the thread, the needle, cleaned it out, talked sweetly to it - nothing.

I just sent a somewhat nasty note off to Singer asking how long they expect me to struggle along with this LEMON of a machine before they acknowlege that it's a piece of cr*p and send me a new one. The second time I had to send it back for warranty repair, they made ME pay for the shipping, and there's no way on God's green earth I'm paying another $65.00 to return it again... THEY can pay this time. I've just had it. Right now I've got a $1,200 paperweight on my hands and I'm not a happy camper.

Okay, now I feel better. I'm going to get out my lovely little workhorse Kenmore that never gives me any trouble, and try to finish the project I'm working on.

I just knew you guys would sympathize, and I needed some sympathy.
I bought a Singer off of Costco last fall, I didn't have any problems with it but I started hearing how poor Singer was in standing by their products and people were having real issues with the model I had, so I took it back to Costco's. They took it without a problem, asked me if something was wrong with it. I said no, it works fine, but, I am hearing real bad reviews about this machine and Singer so I don't want it. (It was about 6 months after I bought it.) They have good customer service!!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 AM

I love my 1990s Kenmore portable and my old singer. Have 2 newer Brothers have never given me any problems but I use my older ones most plus my Featherweight.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Dee

I feel for you. I had a Quantum and did the same thing. Would never purchase another one.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:31 PM

HA! There are several things around the house I may have to try your remedy on!
Originally Posted by ncredbird
After having continued bad experiences with the Singer machine my DH purchased for me as a wedding gift in 1969 I took it out in the field behind our home and took a shotgun to it. That was the most pleasure it had given me in the years that I had it. I took would have to take it to have it serviced every time I used it and unfortunately did that until it was out of warranty. It had been in the shop at least a dozen times. The last time the tech told me he had completely disassembled it and discovered it had been put together wrong at the factory but that there was nothing I could do about it now. I never wanted anyone else to struggle with it as I had so disposed of it in the most satisfactory method I knew of. I still collect the vintage Singers because they have never given me a problem and I can fix them myself for the most part but I will NEVER own another modern Singer. If you are going to purchase another one get an older one. You may not have to pay more than what you would pay for the shipping costs on the one you have but you will have a machine that will last. I wouldn't purchase any Singer dated prior to about 1965. Ann in TN