Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can I pick the Pattern? >
  • Can I pick the Pattern?

• Can I pick the Pattern?

Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 AM

Phyl, what a wonderful friend you are. I totally agree with the way you handled it by making all of the choices yourself. Anytime I make a quilt for a specific person, they are in my thoughts with every stitch. It's a great way to honor somebody.
    Pat
    Old 02-24-2010, 06:49 AM
    Power Poster

I give most of my quilts away and I pick the person,pattern and usually the colors. I figure they will like it or not and will be nice enough not to let me know if they don't like any part of it. So far they have all been pleased to get a quilt. My money my choices.
    Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 AM

I am in agreement with the ideas posted. You are NOT going to enjoy making a quilt that is either beyond your skill level or one that you just don't like. Ask her about color and stick to that. You then pick some fabrics that are "her" color and that you like. Make the quilt a pattern that you are comfortable with and will enjoy making. She will love you for thinking of her by making this wonderful gift.
    Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 AM

Pat....Thanks and I just think quilting is something you love to do for someone you love to do it for! Keep smiling and quilting!
    Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
    I give most of my quilts away and I pick the person,pattern and usually the colors. I figure they will like it or not and will be nice enough not to let me know if they don't like any part of it. So far they have all been pleased to get a quilt. My money my choices.

I love it - but soooo true
    Old 02-24-2010, 12:04 PM
    Power Poster

A few questions -

Can you afford to make your MIL a quilt?
    If your finances are limited, perhaps you could ask her to contribute to the cost of fabrics?

Or to have her pay for the quilting if she wants machine quilting?

And before commiting to make a quilt, find out what she wants.

I offered to make a quilt for my (now) DIL - and she wanted a floor-length king-sized one. We settled for a cover-the-mattress-sides size -

I (now) consider taking my OWN wishes and needs into consideration a very valid part of the process.

If you want to get some input from your MIL - that's good - also feel free to give her input back - cost, difficulty, etc. etc.
    Old 02-24-2010, 12:54 PM

I have no problem with the total cost of the quilt (have you seen Canadian prices for quality fabric - yuck!!!). We are going down to visit them in North Myrtle Beach soon and I thought I would look at fabric down there with her. I am a fairly accomplished "quilt top piecer" (always send out to the LAQ). I think the only thing that I'm not comfortable with is applique, (and wouldn't you know it, most quilts I love have tons of applique in them and I will take a course on that someday). I guess I'm looking for a tactful way of telling her "no, I can't do that". And believe me "tactful" is not my middle name LOL!
    Old 02-24-2010, 01:43 PM

When I have made quilts for someone, I have picked everything. They were thrilled to have a quilt hand made just for them! However, it is nice to have a color to start with. So, I would do one of two things:
    1) Let her choose the focus fabric and you surprise her with the rest; or
    2) Make the entire thing a surprise.
    She is going to LOVE anything you make for her because you made it and you made it just for her.
    Old 02-24-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Originally Posted by patty48
    Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    When I make quilts for people I let them pick one piece of fabric they totally love. Then I pick all the coordinates and the pattern.
    Wow, that was fast!!! LOL

That's the direction I was heading. I just didn't know if that was pushy or not.
    I don't think it's being pushy at all. I think it's being sensible. You're the artist and you should make the creative decisions.

I completely agree, that way you have some input into it also. You don't want to make a king size quilt of fabrics that you just can't stand... You'll never finish it, or hate every minute of it.
    Old 02-24-2010, 02:01 PM

To my dismay, it turned out to be a disaster encouraging my Mum to pick a pattern and going to the fabric shop with her.

First, she couldn't decide about the patterns, for the simple fact that she couldn't see beyond the fabrics already in the pictures/photos and had no idea when looking at a graph.

So, I took her to the fabric shop, thinking that picking her own fabric would be fun... the greens were "too green, too dark, too light" (don't ask) :shock: with too many leaves, dots...

We tried this a few times, but eventually I went and and chose the pattern and fabric myself. It's part way through, she's seen it and absolutely loves it. lol!

I now think about what colour the person likes and then let them have a surprise. I've not yet had one disapointed recipient.