Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I pick the Pattern? >

Can I pick the Pattern?

Can I pick the Pattern?

Old 02-21-2010, 05:39 AM

My MIL has hinted about not having a quilt on their bed in the new house (more than hinted!). I would love to make them a quilt. We are heading to SC (they go there for the winter) and I would like to take her to look for fabric to get some ideas on colors she was thinking about.

Here's my questions:

1. How do I show her what patterns I would be willing to make with out looking too pushy?

2. If we wait to pick the pattern at the quilt shop and she picks out one that I don't feel I could do a good job (e.g. applique) how can I say no and steer her in another direction, again without looking badly?

3. Should I take her, watch her with colour choice (see what she's drawn to) and make something on my own and surprise them? They are pretty easy going people.

I could go by the colours of her house except it's all "builder's beige" right now and has not decided on colours. They did live in their previous house for 36 years and has decided "very neutral" this time!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:40 AM

If you don't feel comfortable making a certain pattern, just tell her. Explain to her that you don't think your talents are "polished" as of yet to tackle something like that. I'm sure if you search Google, you will find some nice/free patterns the she would definitely like.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:43 AM

When I make quilts for people I let them pick one piece of fabric they totally love. Then I pick all the coordinates and the pattern.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
When I make quilts for people I let them pick one piece of fabric they totally love. Then I pick all the coordinates and the pattern.
Wow, that was fast!!! LOL

That's the direction I was heading. I just didn't know if that was pushy or not.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by patty48

That's the direction I was heading. I just didn't know if that was pushy or not.
I don't think it's being pushy at all. I think it's being sensible. You're the artist and you should make the creative decisions.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 AM

I would take along a few patterns that I know I could make easily, and let her choose from those.

I made the mistake with my DDIL of letting her go through all my magazines to choose the one she wanted for her birthday. The very last magazine had an argyle quilt she just had to have.... About a zillion offset seams that I had to master! lol!!! The frustration was killing me for quite awhile, took the fun right out of it. (DH was also having surgery, etc, and I had no focus) But I did master them, and ended up liking working on it towards the end! :)
Old 02-21-2010, 06:32 AM

I think this is a great idea.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie

I think this is a great idea.
Me too :D
Old 02-21-2010, 07:10 AM

I'd do the total surprise thing. Watch what colors they both tend to wear a lot...check out the colors of accessories, etc. and fly from there. You could also take her shopping with you for fabric, and purchase something she likes, but don't tell her it's for her...

You can pretty much tell from the things they have whether they're country, Victorian, modern, etc...

And then have fun with it knowing that since she's hinted about it that she's going to love it!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:36 AM

I surprised my MIL with a quilt for Christmas one year and she redecorated her bedroom around it!!! I did know her favorite colors though. :D