Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I pick the Pattern? >

Can I pick the Pattern?

Can I pick the Pattern?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Damkina
To my dismay, it turned out to be a disaster encouraging my Mum to pick a pattern and going to the fabric shop with her.

First, she couldn't decide about the patterns, for the simple fact that she couldn't see beyond the fabrics already in the pictures/photos and had no idea when looking at a graph.

So, I took her to the fabric shop, thinking that picking her own fabric would be fun... the greens were "too green, too dark, too light" (don't ask) :shock: with too many leaves, dots...

We tried this a few times, but eventually I went and and chose the pattern and fabric myself. It's part way through, she's seen it and absolutely loves it. lol!

I now think about what colour the person likes and then let them have a surprise. I've not yet had one disapointed recipient.
See you get it. Too light, too green, too dark, etc. I think I'm just going to do my own thing. They have two other bedrooms or they can hide it in a blanket box....
Old 02-28-2010, 10:31 AM

Patty, I honestly think that those that don't sew or quilt... just can't see beyond fabric used in the photos, and just couldn't imagine it in other colours etc.

Go with what you 'feel' that she'll like and I'm sure you'll make her a wonderful quilt that she'll love.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Lots of comments here, all good.

My step-father bought me a water color book and fat quarters to match and asked me to make a quilt for him. That was about 7 years ago. I started it back then and pull it out once in a while. Water color quilts are like forms of art and I just don't have that talent. Give me a pattern and some fabric and I can make it. Deciding what water color 2" square needs to go next to the other one while creating a waterfall is beyond me. It still sits in the closet. :(

My two cents is for you to give her the choice of several different patterns and let her choose which of those she would like to have. Having her choose from those patterns will let her think she chose what you wanted to make for her without you feeling overwhelmed. I agree taking her to a LQS will show her the price of fabric these days and she can pick out her colors.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do.