Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
color choices for a baby quilt for a boy... >

color choices for a baby quilt for a boy...

color choices for a baby quilt for a boy...

Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 PM

If you just step those pastels down into a shade darker, then they should work for an older child too. Take them out of the baby range into something a little more ocean waters perhaps?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Wow, that is different. I made my DGS's in flannel
and it was yellow, red, brown, and green. Sounds
funny but it was all muted and didn't look so babish
as it did boyish. It was in plaids, and really turned
out cute.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
Babies aren't supposed to have anything soft in their cribs, including quilts and bumpers. It's to prevent deaths from SIDS. Some babies (very few, but no one wants to be "the one" ) have suffocated because of soft bedding and toys left in their cribs. Deaths have dropped dramatically since educational initiatives began to educate new parents. My son has a lot of baby quilts, but we use them for tummy time and play mats, rather than in his crib. His pediatrician says that it's ok to give him bedding when he's old enough and capable enough to move out of his crib. Until then, babies should be dressed more warmly, if need be, or wear one of the wearable blankets or sleep sacks on the market.

HTH!

Originally Posted by joyce blint
Originally Posted by quilt1950
I used primary colors for my grandsons, and at 6 1/2, the quilts are still in use. With the new 'sleep guidelines' quilts can't be used with small infants. These quilts were decorations until the boys were in toddler beds.
What is this about "sleep guidelines" and quilts??
FYI- what I was told is regarding SIDS and blankets...is not what we use as quilts today. It is with comforters, usuaslly store bought that have a very high loft (or some old time quilts) that are so thick a child (i.e. baby) can't lift it's head up out of the quilt and could suffocate. Today we use warm and natural (mostly) and low loft poly, so a baby can lift it's head. also fyi -- I lost a child to SIDS but it had nothing to do with the regular quilt he had in his cradle that had 2 sheets for filling.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Sorry for your loss Callie.
your info is correct, it's the fluffy things, even stuffed animals that may cause a problem.
when my kids were babies they slept on their backs and I got critisized for it-They will choke if they spit up-is what everyone said. but they always slept better that way. now it's the recommended way

in the end we each have to decide what we feel is best for our kids
Old 04-18-2011, 05:21 PM

I've heard that babies love the reds it attracts them to it. I also love your colors they are nice. Make what you think it will be used anyway you know kids as they get older. Sue