Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Come Virtually Quilt with me Today - 4/15

I am already up and sewing, but am taking a break for church. I enjoy that time with my dad as we fix bhareakfast together after mass, but I will be back for most of the day. I will have to stop for laundry, cooking super and light house work, but will try to put in a a solid day of sewing. My goals:
    1. Finish the guild challenge that is due early June
    2. Sew the binding on my daughters quilt to hand sew later
    3. Spend a half hour organizing my mom's scraps I inherited
    4. Work on a UFO
    I know I sound very ambitious, but we will see

O.K. now that I have spent 45 minutes figuring out hubby's camera. Here is what I will be working on. The first is a spider web scrappy quilt. The next 2 are a project I have wanted to do for a long time. Since I get bored easily I thought I would change up every so often to keep me going. Off to church and then I will be sewing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK- here is mine laid out in Eleonor Burns Star Log Cabin. It's not big enough, so I don't know what else to do, but make more blocks and play around with it. Any ideas would be appreciated. I want it to be QS bedspread size, with the star being on the main part of the bed, of course. Happy sewing today! I am so thrilled to be a part of this. My husband is gone for the whole day and my parents (live on the street behind me) are gone for the weekend, so no interruptions! I won't count the time I get on here as an interruption. Lol!

I would love to join!!! I will be working on a simple purse tote that bas been waiting to get sewn for 6 weeks!! I also have an ereader cover to sew for someone who heard me mention I was making them and wanted to know if she could order one from me. Of course you can I was so excited to actually be asked to sew something for someone and make a few $$. I also, have step 4 of a mystery quilt I need to start, but have to refinish step 3 since I did step 2 wrong and had to rip out 150ish 6.5 inch seams. Yeah me. Happy quilting everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I'm in for a bit .... I finished most of the things I wanted to accomplish yesterday, but not all and we've got plans to go out shopping for a dining room set in a few hours.

So ... here's the original fabric. I had shared some of this with Rachel. Her blocks are going to be smaller (mine are 12"). Excited to see how her blocks turn out.

I've got several cut. Off to sew!!
    I cannot wait to see what you make with this. Maybe I'll pull mine out for my strips goal and give it a go today too!!

Quote Originally Posted by himnherr View Post
    OK- here is mine laid out in Eleonor Burns Star Log Cabin. It's not big enough, so I don't know what else to do, but make more blocks and play around with it. Any ideas would be appreciated. I want it to be QS bedspread size, with the star being on the main part of the bed, of course. Happy sewing today! I am so thrilled to be a part of this. My husband is gone for the whole day and my parents (live on the street behind me) are gone for the weekend, so no interruptions! I won't count the time I get on here as an interruption. Lol!
    I think you'll like this with more blocks, you will get some wonderful secondary designs as you add more blocks. Hopefully it'll work out for you!!

Cheers!
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
    O.K. now that I have spent 45 minutes figuring out hubby's camera. Here is what I will be working on. The first is a spider web scrappy quilt. The next 2 are a project I have wanted to do for a long time. Since I get bored easily I thought I would change up every so often to keep me going. Off to church and then I will be sewing.
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the pattern for the spider web scrappy?? I love making string scrappys and I'm always looking for unique patterns. That is going to be so cool.

Ok ... got a few blocks sewn. These will be placed on point and other blocks with the stripes angled outward will be in-between.

Excuse the post it notes
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I have two WIP's to work on, hope to join you guys later this morning. Love this idea.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Way off target already..Got the Gator quilt pinned and ready for hand quilting...got sidetracked by needing several breathing treatments! COPD sucks...Pollen is high and gives me problems. Now I want to start the hand quilting. My grandson is 5 and is always asking about his "cubbers"
    What beautiful quilts are in progress today through our "quilting bee"...One day I hope to be able to produce that kind of work

Thanks, Rachel! I already see what you mean. It fell together in my mind when I just added the 3 extras I already had made. OK- now to get down to business and make some more! Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I'm here!

my goal today is to countinue to work on a cow quilt of my own design. I have a lot of planning and experimenting to do on it.

My second goal is to make awening covers for my studio windows. I will post pics' as I progress today.

have fun everyone!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Ok ... got a few blocks sewn. These will be placed on point and other blocks with the stripes angled outward will be in-between.

Excuse the post it notes
    Oh those look great!! Such a variety of designs, will you be making the whole quilt with just this fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Way off target already..Got the Gator quilt pinned and ready for hand quilting...got sidetracked by needing several breathing treatments! COPD sucks...Pollen is high and gives me problems. Now I want to start the hand quilting. My grandson is 5 and is always asking about his "cubbers"
    What beautiful quilts are in progress today through our "quilting bee"...One day I hope to be able to produce that kind of work
    Oh no!! I hope the breathing is under control now, not a fun thing at all I am sure. I hope youa re able to get back to hand sewing soon.

Thanks, Rachel! I already see what you mean. It fell together in my mind when I just added the 3 extras I already had made. OK- now to get down to business and make some more! Thanks!
    Great!! Can't wait to see some more blocks together.

Rachel

Blog Entries
    Last edited by ube quilting; 04-15-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: add pics

Blog Entries
    These are just the beginning of the cow and it is all you are going to see for now!

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    These are just the beginning of the cow and it is all you are going to see for now!
    Oh no the pics didn't come through, so we don't get to see anything. Hopefully you can try reposting.

Rachel

You guys thought I was just joking about haunting y'all today, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight? Nope! I'm here! And I've already been doing some sewing stuff! I finished getting my package ready for the 10.5" batik square swap (yes, I'm running late on that). Then I got my hand sewing ready to go. I planned to sew binding on (the first change from making my DH's Jelly Roll Race quilt... later for that, I guess). I had some little (8" maybe) scrappy Dresden Plates (the very last thing my Mother & I worked on so I've "been saving them") that I'm appliquing to some funky background fabric (that will either be good or just straight up weird -- I'm not sure why I didn't just sew them to muslin like I usually do). Then after I got my sewing all lined up (I have to have my special thread catcher cup, my special frog pin cushion, my nippers, my can of Dr. Pepper... I'm super anal about my hand sewing), I scurried in to watch the puck drop on my hockey game & wouldn't you know it?!? We're bracing for bad weather up here & the channel is off. And on. And off. Thank you, Direct TV! No, I think the actual station is having trouble. So anyhoo... pretty soon I'm going to have my DH go get my yummy Chinese meal (spring rolls? Fried rice? Egg Foo Yung? All of the above?). THIS IS FUN! Now just to steer clear of the tornadoes (I'm originaly from KS & have nearly met my maker via tornadoes a couple of times so when they say run, I high tail it for the basement!!!). Is everybody else having fun, fun, fun?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by doghousemom View Post
    ok ... Got a few blocks sewn. These will be placed on point and other blocks with the stripes angled outward will be in-between.

Excuse the post it notes
    love them!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

My idea for your Log Cabin Star? Send it to me when you're done... whatever size it is! LOL! It's fabulous!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Hi everyone, thought I'd join the virtual fun. Mild but gloomy day in central NYS. I sandwiched a table runner and am now hand quilting. Have another two to go. Two of the three runners are a belated 25th anniversary gift for a cousin and her hubby. Need to finish before next Sunday. Shouldn't be an issue if carpal tunnel doesn't kick in big time again.

well I'm making great progress. Another couple of hours and I'll have this one done. The sewing helpers however aren't having as much fun....

Hi, back again, it is 5.50pm here and I have just finished an early dinner as my husband is wanting to watch an "important" football match (soccer) which starts at 6. I have completed another 3 blocks fully and have 6 more that need sashing. I am feeling tired but hope to have a break and then get back to. If I can sash the 6 blocks then I just need to join them up (already have the others joined) and the top will be finished. Not sure if the post saying what I am doing actually got throught but I am making 2 identical quilts each with 3x6 14.5" blocks. I am so pleased with how much I have achieved. I am going to take a photograph of progress so far and see if I can post it. FORGOT TO SAY I am loving everything you are all doing, such a great variety. Happy sewing Eileen
    Last edited by cannyquilter; 04-15-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    You guys thought I was just joking about haunting y'all today, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight? Nope! I'm here! And I've already been doing some sewing stuff! I finished getting my package ready for the 10.5" batik square swap (yes, I'm running late on that). Then I got my hand sewing ready to go. I planned to sew binding on (the first change from making my DH's Jelly Roll Race quilt... later for that, I guess). I had some little (8" maybe) scrappy Dresden Plates (the very last thing my Mother & I worked on so I've "been saving them") that I'm appliquing to some funky background fabric (that will either be good or just straight up weird -- I'm not sure why I didn't just sew them to muslin like I usually do). Then after I got my sewing all lined up (I have to have my special thread catcher cup, my special frog pin cushion, my nippers, my can of Dr. Pepper... I'm super anal about my hand sewing), I scurried in to watch the puck drop on my hockey game & wouldn't you know it?!? We're bracing for bad weather up here & the channel is off. And on. And off. Thank you, Direct TV! No, I think the actual station is having trouble. So anyhoo... pretty soon I'm going to have my DH go get my yummy Chinese meal (spring rolls? Fried rice? Egg Foo Yung? All of the above?). THIS IS FUN! Now just to steer clear of the tornadoes (I'm originaly from KS & have nearly met my maker via tornadoes a couple of times so when they say run, I high tail it for the basement!!!). Is everybody else having fun, fun, fun?
    It is fun isn't it?? Sounds like you are ready to get down to some serious sewing. I hope your game is back on now. Enjoy the Chinese food!!

Quote Originally Posted by echoemb View Post
    well I'm making great progress. Another couple of hours and I'll have this one done. The sewing helpers however aren't having as much fun....
    Oh no, they look bored!! But your quilt looks great, do you think you'll get the whole top done today? I forget what you said your goal was for today. That's a lot of small pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by cannyquilter View Post
    Hi, back again, it is 5.50pm here and I have just finished an early dinner as my husband is wanting to watch an "important" football match (soccer) which starts at 6. I have completed another 3 blocks fully and have 6 more that need sashing. I am feeling tired but hope to have a break and then get back to. If I can sash the 6 blocks then I just need to join them up (already have the others joined) and the top will be finished. Not sure if the post saying what I am doing actually got throught but I am making 2 identical quilts each with 3x6 14.5" blocks. I am so pleased with how much I have achieved. I am going to take a photograph of progress so far and see if I can post it. FORGOT TO SAY I am loving everything you are all doing, such a great variety. Happy sewing Eileen
    I hope you can get the top finished today!! I would love to see some pics.

Cheers!
    Rachel

Just a quick update on my progress .... I have gotten the binding sewn down to my first quilt. Originally I was going to machine sew it to the back, but since this is for a charity, I think I will go ahead and take the time to hand tack it to the back, so I may be doing just that for the rest of the day!! I probably will take a break in the afternoon though and sew a little bit of something else to break up the monotony.

I will have pics of this quilt hopefully by the end of the day!

How is everyone else doing?

Cheers!
    Rachel

Blog Entries
    I am with you gals. So far all I have done is get my backing cut, and laid on the ironing board and am going to iron it. Next is piecing the batting and putting it together. This is a charity quilt. Happy sewing gals and guys!

No I won't get the whole top done as I'm short about 3500 squares. BUT the next 2.5" swap closes and I'll have 2000 squares coming in the mail in the next couple of weeks. One more swap and I'll have enough squares for the QS that I'm shooting for. On to the coins, that won't take too long, lunch, alittle nap and then back at it this afternoon. It is 11:45 MTN time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast