Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Come Virtually Quilt with me Today - 5/20 >

Come Virtually Quilt with me Today - 5/20

Come Virtually Quilt with me Today - 5/20

Old 05-20-2012, 11:40 AM

I forgot to say that I am now going to just do some odds and ends while I watch the SOX, CUBS game. GO SOX!!!!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:40 AM

I finished another block and took time to cut out all of the backing tear away interfacing for each remaining block. Seemed easier than doing one at a time. Accomplishing more than I imagined I would. But my back is killing me, so it is time to lie down, watch a movie and let it relax. Then see what you all have accomplished.

You are all doing fabulous! It is amazing how seeing what others are doing really does motivate! This is a fantastic idea and I will definetely be joining in on any future quilt alongs.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:44 AM

This is fabulous! I love the pattern. As for the tendrils...have you ever tried Free Motion Machine Embroidery? It is fairly easy and only requires a straight stitch or a zig zag stitch. FMME is the method I am using to satin stitch my applique blocks, then later I will add something more. Just not sure what yet.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:09 PM

Wow! Lots of accomplishments! Love the photos posted so far.
My goal was to work on baby quilt number one and make cubes, alas, indecision about colors and had to wait until the mom looks at photos, but started quilt for baby number 2, all cut now, sashing sewed to animal blocks and pinwheel blocks almost done. Not sure if I'll do any more sewing today, but I am happy with where I got..I am off work on Tuesday and hoping to put the quilt together when I get back from the barn.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:26 PM

Taking a break to let the quilt batting dry. I scratched my wrist and bled on the batting, so I had to spot clean it. Thank goodness it wasn't the white panel with appliqued flowers.

Any good ideas on how to quilt 9 patches? the snowball blocks want a simple flower, but the nine patches aren't speaking to me. They are 7" blocks. The red strips want an line 1/4" inside the seam - I am not SITD long seams with red on one side and white on the other. The applique wants to be echo quilted, but what do the nine patches want?

I agree about the free motion embroidery. I had fun thread painting my son's wildlife quilt. Draw the tendrils lightly, outline and then just fill them in with a pretty thread like a shiny rayon or poly.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:32 PM

So far one of the dark dog wallhangings is ready for binding and the second just needs SID on the two borders. Time to sit in front of the TV (back aching) and hand sew the binding on the Winter Waterfall. Lots of progress.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Love it!!! Great color choices

Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
1st goal reached. Except the tendrils. I am not sure how I will do them. No special stitchs on my machine. If anyone has a good idea lets hear it. I have June's instructions left to get. I would say it was just a border but I have two halve stars left. Hmmmm.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 PM

I'm finally home from work. I'm going to finish piecing the backing for my friend's 70th birthday. Top is done. Then I'll see if DD will sandwich it for me, so I can start quilting. Thank goodness for quilting daughters. It's much easier for her to crawl around on the floor than for me to do. Gotta get sewing now.

Will check in with you all later.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 PM

A little more than halfd way thru piecing blocks for the grandsons quilt...now not sure if I have enough of the sashing fabric I want to use..Will check when I get the blocks done...Hopingf I have enough, so I can put the top together tonight..If not I guess it will have to be after doc visits tomorrow, when I can get more fabric
Old 05-20-2012, 12:37 PM

I didn't know if I would be able to join you all today as there were many things on my plate already. I asked my neighbor to help me get my lawn mower running - and he mowed the lawn for me instead! That was way easier than I expected. So here is what I am working on.
- Little quilt that reminds me of the ocean. I need to quilt the border and had to work out a plan. Done! Well, the drawing part anyway.
- and.... I decided to make a mini double wedding ring. I don't do curves. Decided to try it anyway. These are kinda little (4 rings across and down will finish out to about 18"). I've challenged myself to machine piece it and we'll see how that goes
Attached Thumbnails may-quilt-along-011-ocean-.jpg   may-quilt-along-007-quilting-ocean.jpg   may-quilt-along-010-pieced-arcs.jpg