Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Come Virtually Quilt with me Today - 9/23!!

I'm with everyone in spirit. I'm not doing any sewing/quilting today but I am eyebrows deep in my stash. Refolding, inventorying and sorting. Vowed to accomplish this before I begin one more project. If I don't do this, you all will be meeting me on TLC - "Hoarders Buried Alive". I think it's going to be very liberating to know just what I do have for fabric at this point. Consider me on the fabric moratorium wagon until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    Well at least I'm not the only one!! My husband doesn't want me putting holes in the wall to make the design wall more permanent but I think that's just too darn bad. I need to anchor it better than just with yards of blue tape! Holes are easy to fill & patch, anyway.

This quilt is destined to be a Christmas present so I HAVE to "get over it" and get back to work on it, hopefully today. I couldn't even scream and stomp around when I found it though, my DH was still sleeping! LOL

I'm less frustrated now. Going to go do a little "shopping therapy" and pick it back up later this afternoon when I can look at it without wanting to bang my head against the wall!
    Could you wrap the batting on plywood or something and have it propped against the wall? Even large sheets of foam core or something might work. Nice thing about either of those options is it's also movable if you change the design of your house. Good luck!!

Cheers!
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Thimblebug!! What an adorable block!! Would love to see it all done!! 10 of my 20 blocks done..Love the grandkids that choose very simple designs!! May even have time to go buy the back and batting and get it sandwiched today if I keep up at the pace I am now!! Or start on some Christmas gifts...just not sure what to make ...Married kids may get table runners with matching hot pads..anyone have a simple quick pattern idea??
    The 10 minute table runner might be an idea. It actually takes about 30 -45 minutes but is still quick. I use my orphan blocks for pot holders/hot pads.

Time for lunch - I have the borders sewn onto the front, now I just need to figure out the measurements to place this backing fabric into the exact center and cut borders for it.
    Name:  Attic Windows - Ojibwe back.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  40.6 KBName:  Borders on.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  47.0 KB
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Quote Originally Posted by germanquilter View Post
    Finally checking in...got distracted with making breakfast for DD, baking an apple cake with caramel glaze and talking to my mom in Germany I did get back on track and finished DD's fleece blanket. Now some lunch and I am on to starting the Halloween quilt!
    Pretty kitty!! I have a sweet girl that looks just like that. is yours a male or female? I have a theory about orange tabbies .... but I don't want to give it away until I know if yours is male or female. Nice blanket too!! Nothing like a warm fleece blanket, my son loves those.

Cheers!
    Rachel

Getting a late start. Our youngest DS invited, yesterday, himself to breakfast today and invited DD. They left about half hour ago. We will be eating lunch soon and then leaving for the Blue Angels air show soon after. I have read all the posts and will now do some more cutting out of blocks for quilt for youngest DS. It is a 9-patch and snowball in red and black. The reds are from my scrap stash. I think I am now going to need to get more reds out of my fat quarter stash. The black is a solid and the background. May get to sew when we get back.

i thought orange tabbies was males but calicos are always female. That is the pattern that has always rang true with my cats.... & all the ones that I've know. That's is alot of cats.

But anyways, I'm about to start some sandwiching those little quilts. Shouldn't take long.

Tricia
    http://tricia-ramblingsofaquilter.blogspot.com/
    Currently working on a "Flat Curtis" Quilt with boy child .

Just checking in, have the hearts quilted now for the background quilting. Had to run an errand but ready to get back in there. Great to see/hear what everyone else is working on.
    Jan.... as far as lunch goes, deviled eggs & smoked salmon leftovers for me.

Blog Entries
    I've been working on a test pattern for a fellow QB member. I'm about 1/2 way. Here is a picture of my WIP.

Name:  IMG_0112.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  217.8 KB
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

Is it too late to join? Just finished lunch after working on the house...:-(
    My goal is applique the name of the baby receiving a baby quilt I almost finished.
    :-( I wish I was a full time quilter!
    Andrea (Margate, FL)

Finished clue 2 and enlarged all the house blocks. I see clue 3 is up so I will go get that and then have lunch. Congrats to all for getting so much accomplished.

I LOVE seeing all the pictures! Keep them coming girls! I think I'm probably the only person who has a camera-less cell phone. My 7th grade students get a kick out of it - they think it's an antique but it's just a little cheapy that keeps on working. :-)

I'm late reporting in but this morning I spray basted (for the first time) a stash quilt I made this summer for the purpose of practicing FMQing. Last night I pieced a backing and it's now sitting in sandwich glory waiting to quilted. I used Dritz basting spray, cranked the AC down, and opened a window in my bedroom which doubles as my sewing room. It went fairly quickly, but can someone tell me how long I should wait before starting to sew?

1. Basting - done.
    2. Close up the cutting table.
    3. Clear off sewing table, move it out from wall to extend back leaf.
    4. Run to Joanns for 1/2 yard of heavy vinyl to make needle area slippery.
    5. FMQ!!

Thank you for starting this thread and for all the inspiration!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Finally checking in...got distracted with making breakfast for DD, baking an apple cake with caramel glaze and talking to my mom in Germany I did get back on track and finished DD's fleece blanket. Now some lunch and I am on to starting the Halloween quilt!
    Your DD is a cat??
    Cute fabric!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

This would be a great quilt for a wedding!!

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
    I've been working on a test pattern for a fellow QB member. I'm about 1/2 way. Here is a picture of my WIP.

Name:  IMG_0112.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  217.8 KB

ok, I feel way behind because I slept in so late, but here's the table runner:

Name:  runner.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  1.51 MB

Can't believe it is 2:45 already!! Got one table runner pieced. Ended up doing a braid pattern....second one is in process..Will be estatic if I can get both pieced and sanwiched today!! There is plenty of hours left to work!! Will post pics when I get them at least sandwiched!! Maybe I can get them finished off and the hot plates done tomorrow!! Off to make a sandwich..forgot about lunch!

I love this one!! Will have to check my stash to see what I have!! After I finish the 2 tablerunners I began, I will still have to make at least 3 more sets..Your design is wonderful! Might do the other 3 like this

Quote Originally Posted by jyllybean View Post
    ok, I feel way behind because I slept in so late, but here's the table runner:

Name:  runner.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  1.51 MB

Pumpkin is a one-year old male tabby...and the most affectionate curious, playful cat I have ever owned. We have had 6 cats in the past 26 years and he has been the only male. I am sold on those male orange tabbies now; they almost have dog-like characteristics Of course, he has been all over my fabric and sewing table today!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everyone is working so hard today and I just love all the pictures, everyone I see I think "I want to do one of those!"

Finished my top about 20 minutes ago and having a cup of tea and scone and catching up with everyone on the thread.

Jan, I had some reverse sewing to do on my quilt top and so I did it last night as I did not want to start the day going backwards (if you get my drift).

For lunch today I went to a pub with my husband and we had roast beef and yorkshire pudding with lots of fresh vegetables and meaty gravy.

Settling down for the evening in front of the television, will trace the templates for the applique whilst I am doing that and also cut out and sew on some labels.

Thanks to everyone for your company today, you kept me focused and Rachel once again a big thanks for organising today, looking forward to next month.

Canny

Blog Entries
    Just joining in for the first time! I've read all the posts to catch up and it's wonderful that everyone is getting so much done. I'm working on a scrappy basket weave wall hanging that's been on my design wall since Spring. It was in a box for several (many???) years before that! It's amazing how other happenings in our lives put quilting on the back burner. The quilt is on point and already sewn into rows. I'm going to switch a couple of blocks - 3 purples close together in one row - then add setting triangles. Haven't decided for sure whether I want light or dark setting triangles. Will do some quick auditioning and go from there. Also, plan to add a few borders and since this is for me, hand quilt.

Hmmm - photo upload failed - that hasn't happened before. Will attempt again later.

Clue 3 and 4 done. I think this is going to be a cute quilt. Have to go take a break for awhile. Back is starting to kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus Rubra View Post
    i thought orange tabbies was males but calicos are always female. That is the pattern that has always rang true with my cats.... & all the ones that I've know. That's is alot of cats.

But anyways, I'm about to start some sandwiching those little quilts. Shouldn't take long.

Tricia
    Pumpkin is a one-year old male tabby...and the most affectionate curious, playful cat I have ever owned. We have had 6 cats in the past 26 years and he has been the only male. I am sold on those male orange tabbies now; they almost have dog-like characteristics Of course, he has been all over my fabric and sewing table today!
    Yes, most orange tabbies are male. I have had 3 orange tabbies in my life. 2 were male and my current one is female. Females are VERY rare, so rare in fact my vet didn't believe me when I told her my cat was female, she said she'd check for herself. LOL My kitty is tiny, looks 6 months old (she's about 6 years old), and any pics I have seen of females they have been tiny. So my theory was that males are bigger and females are smaller because being a female orange tabby is probably some kind of weird genetic mutation thing. So I thought yours would be female since he is small, but he is also still young, so he may not be done growing yet. So anyway, that's everyone's lesson on orange tabbies today!! LOL LOVE THEM and everyone should have one at least once in their life!! My tabby is the only cat I have considered taking a restraining order out on as she just wants to cuddle all the time!! Of course I let her, but it's quite amusing to see her follow me around, yes very dog like!!

Cheers!
    Rachel

Just after 1 here & have my quilt finished. I had the binding done before I started quilting today as I had already done the SID. Glad to have this one finally finished! Name:  Sep 23 2012 Finished001_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 293
Size:  66.6 KBName:  Sep 23 2012 Finished002 (Small).JPG
Views: 192
Size:  74.3 KB
    Now I'm going to prepare some handwork for a bus trip I'm taking. I'm going to start the January block from theraspberryrabbits.com bom.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    Clue 3 and 4 done. I think this is going to be a cute quilt. Have to go take a break for awhile. Back is starting to kill me.
    I googled the mystery quilt you mentioned and didn't get to the site. COuld you provide a link please?

It is 4:30 and I have done nothing sewing wise. I went to church, gave out communion at the local nursing home and then went to mow fil's lawn. Dinner will be take out and I am getting out the quilt I am handquilting.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast