Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting machines - looking for feedback >

Cutting machines - looking for feedback

Cutting machines - looking for feedback

Old 10-12-2010, 01:23 PM

I have a Simplicity Rotary cutting Machine. I don't care for it. It is way to tempramental
Old 10-12-2010, 01:33 PM

I have 2 Cricuts that I use for cutting fabric (not into paper crafting/scrapbooking). I bought the smaller Cricut and the large one (Expression - can cut up to 12 x 24 inches).

I absolutely love them for doing fabric applique. I bought cartridges for celebrations, holidays, alphabets and shapes - but only when on a good sale.

I fuse lite heat n bond to my fabric, attach it to the mat, and then put painters tape around the edges of fabric for extra hold. It has cut every item perfectly.

I also have the Studio Accuquilt and it is wonderful also. I just got done doing about 400 triangles in no time at all, and they were all perfect an so easy to align to sew. The waste of material was physically "strings". Before this machine my triangles were never all perfectly cut.

The Studio is a bit pricey, and so are the dies, buta great investment.
I got a great deal on both of my Cricuts from HSN so that they each came with a number of cartridges. The Studio was too pricey for the alphabet dies, but the Cricut is great (you can change the size of letters), and since I got the Gypsy I can really manipulate my designs before cutting.

I am going to a quilt expo this Thursday in Georgia so I am anxious to see the Alto Accucut as I hope they are there since I have been intigued with it also.

I just like a variety of machines and the safer for cutting the better for me.

Karen
Old 10-12-2010, 01:57 PM

I have the Accuquilt Go and I love it. It's very easy to use. You will get your monies worth out of it by all the time that this saves you. I do a lot of applique and the
cuts are perfect.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 PM

I think the Alto's Quilt Cut system is more versitile. The other is a great cutter but you are limited to the templates you have. And the templates get expensive. You can go the Alto;s Quilt Cut web site and see a video demo.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:41 PM

I just got the Simplicity stripper. It is only for cutting strips -- from .25 to 6.5" -- it is electric with a foot pedal. I also got a table for it so I have plenty of space to spread out. It cuts nice except that I am having problems getting the last few inches to cut. There is a guard the the fabric flows thru but it jumps out at the end and there is no place that I have found that I can grab to keep it straight. I just got it last Friday so I am looking for others that have one and how they get around the problem. It is fast, and the speed is adjustable. I just want 100% and right now I'm getting about 98% satisfaction!!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:53 PM

The accuquilt go is great
Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 PM

I have the AccuQuilt GO! and I love it. My fabric waste is cut by at least half and the time I used to spend measuring and cutting now goes to quilting. I highly suggest looking into one.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:30 PM

I absolutely love my Accuquilt Go, especially the rag quilt square since it makes all the cuts for you. I also use the triangles for HST, they sew together very easily since the corners are trimmed. I just ordered the Ricky Tims Arabesque die.
Elizabeth
Old 10-12-2010, 06:31 PM

I absolutely love my Accuquilt Go, especially the rag quilt square since it makes all the cuts for you. I also use the triangles for HST, they sew together very easily since the corners are trimmed. I just ordered the Ricky Tims Arabesque die.
Elizabeth
Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 PM

Strips are cut in widths of 11/2" & 21/2" use to make the log cabin quilt blocks or used to frame squares center pieces in other quilt squares.

Happy Quilting...Andie