Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting machines - looking for feedback >

Cutting machines - looking for feedback

Cutting machines - looking for feedback

Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 PM

Strips are cut in widths of 11/2" & 21/2" use to make the log cabin quilt blocks or used to frame squares center pieces in other quilt squares.

Happy Quilting...Andie :-D
Old 10-12-2010, 07:58 PM

I was in a Ben Franklin store recently and they have an Accu-Cut machine and a huge stack of dies - I believe they either let customers use the machine (with fabric purchase) or they "rent" it for use at the store.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 PM

Have you checked the price of the dies on amazon.com? I find their prices very reasonable.

Happy quilting...Andie
Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I would like a material cutting machine for christmas and trying to research a few to see which one works best. Do you have a cutting machine??? If so which brand, model and does it work? How costly is it to maintain? Would you buy that same one again or do you have another on your wish list? I do have a cricut but I have never used that for cutting material. Has anyone used it for that? if so what type of cutting blade, press. Does it work well?
If you are speaking of cutting shapes for applique etc., I use a Sizzex machine which is a lever - action. It works very well and even better if you have fusible web ironed to the back. I think the accuquilt has a better action of rolling it through by turning a handle, but it is the same principle. The Sizzex was less expensive.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by BizyStitches
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I just got this less than two weeks ago. I love it, it is really easy for me to use. If you have any drafting table experience then you shouldn't have a problem.

So far I have used it to square up the blocks on my current project.

It is the Alto's Quiltcut 2, I paid $234.00 (that is with shipping). This is the only cutting system I have. I use my rotary cutter with it and off I go.

I don't need all those fancy shapes, squares, rectangles and strips are fancy enough for me. :)
Just a FYI. With the Accuquilt GO! cutter, you will not have to square up your blocks , they fit together perfectly. Well unless you don't use a 1/4 inch seam. I've seen these Alto's demo'd but it didn't look like something I could use. Just my opinion. Good thing we all have different opinions.
I was squaring up a project I started before my Quiltcut arrived. :)
Old 10-12-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by wtexpricklypear
I just got the Simplicity stripper. It is only for cutting strips -- from .25 to 6.5" -- it is electric with a foot pedal. I also got a table for it so I have plenty of space to spread out. It cuts nice except that I am having problems getting the last few inches to cut. There is a guard the the fabric flows thru but it jumps out at the end and there is no place that I have found that I can grab to keep it straight. I just got it last Friday so I am looking for others that have one and how they get around the problem. It is fast, and the speed is adjustable. I just want 100% and right now I'm getting about 98% satisfaction!!
I bought one, took it home, tried it, didn't cut worth a darn, took it back the same day. I asked them to demo it for me to see if it was just a bad blade/cutter? She couldn't get it to work either, so she tried another one and had problems with it too. I have heard it is not real accurate for quilting. Let us know if you figure out the last of the strip and how accurate you think it is. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 PM

I have had my GO! for quite awhile now and love it! I use it to cut out quilts and when I get to my scraps, I use it to cut them down for either qpplique shapes or regular shapes, then store them by shapes in containers. It helps to keep my waste down and I then don't have huge containers with scraps just sitting!
I love to make scrappy quilts, so this method of cutting down my scraps works great!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by natalieg
I have had my GO! for quite awhile now and love it! I use it to cut out quilts and when I get to my scraps, I use it to cut them down for either qpplique shapes or regular shapes, then store them by shapes in containers. It helps to keep my waste down and I then don't have huge containers with scraps just sitting!
I love to make scrappy quilts, so this method of cutting down my scraps works great!
For those of you who have a GO!(or baby one or otherwise), do the die cuts already include a quarter in seam in them? I'm debating between one of the GO's and the cricket. I like the idea of the cricket being able to digitally scale the pattern or picture up or down.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:56 AM

I also have the accu go and love it. My greatest challenge with quilting is making sure the cuts are accurate. The shop where I buy my machines, take classes etc is now offering classes on how to use this cutting machine most efficiently with the least amount of fabric loss. You might want to see if any shops near you offer something similar before you decide to buy.

Good Luck

Gayle
Old 10-13-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Regas
I also have the accu go and love it. My greatest challenge with quilting is making sure the cuts are accurate. The shop where I buy my machines, take classes etc is now offering classes on how to use this cutting machine most efficiently with the least amount of fabric loss. You might want to see if any shops near you offer something similar before you decide to buy.

Good Luck

Gayle
I also have the Go but would be interested in finding a class, etc that would show me how to get less fabric waste. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Sara