Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dealer servicing...ever have them do things you didn't request?? >

Dealer servicing...ever have them do things you didn't request??

Dealer servicing...ever have them do things you didn't request??

Old 06-28-2011, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Wow, is it possible they gave you the wrong machine back? I'm fortunate that my local sewing machine repair shop (where I bought my machine) does great work.
I was thinking the same thing. If it is dirty as you say it may not be your machine because no way can it be that dirty just by it working for a little while.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:22 AM

I've never had anything this major happen but my girlfriend has had them loose the foot to her machine... that was interesting. and they lost my 1/4 inch foot. the one they replaced it with isn't very good.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:09 PM

Are you certain it is your own machine?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:04 PM

We always put the serial number on the work order
Now I know why.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Eri

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
I took an old Sears Kenmore to a dealer once to be maintenanced/cleaned. He called me up and LITERALLY told me my machine was a piece of crap, not worth repairing and he would just "go ahead and throw it out" for me and we could talk about purchasing a new Baby-lock. I actually had to argue with him to get the machine back, he was so adamant to throw it out. This machine works fine other than occasionally getting confused about what thread is for....I still love it though. It was my first machine. Sorry your dealer was sucky too. ;)

The same thing happened to me--I took my first machine to one of the two local Sew & Vacs and the guy told me exactly what you were told--that my machine was a piece of crap and I should just throw it out and buy a new one. With a stunned look on my face and not another word, I picked up my machine, walked out, and drove to the other store where they showed me the problem was just the cheap thread I was using (I was a complete newb!) by installing decent thread in my machine and sewing a perfect line. They sold me the spool of thread and didn't charge me anything additional, even when I offered to pay them for their time. I was so inexperienced that if they'd just told me nicely that my machine sucked (it did, but it wasn't broken) I would have bought a new one from them--so I appreciated it all the more that they didn't take advantage of me.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 AM

I would definitely complain; actually I'd be yelling. That is crazy; I'd want it fixed the correct way. If they are a repair shop specializing in that brand of machine I'd go to the machine company; like viking. I bought an old viking #1 last year from ebay and it had a 2 yr warranty on it. I could never get it sewing right and the seller was really good at sending me additional items trying to get if fixed. I finally decided to take it into to a local shop; the shipping would have killed me. A janome shop was offering 10 off on any type of machine servicing but I decided I'd go with one that was for Viking; my machine was old and they can get older parts easier. It was going to cost me 147 for the part. Then an hour late they called me back and had found a used part for 30; I was so excited. They wouldn't even order parts for my machine w/out talking to me first. That is the way it should be. I would want to know why or how they could justify putting all of those holes in it and not saying anything.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
I've never had anything this major happen but my girlfriend has had them loose the foot to her machine... that was interesting. and they lost my 1/4 inch foot. the one they replaced it with isn't very good.
I was told to take all of my feet w/me and not to leave any attachments w/it. I think that is a good practice.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 AM

I always take my machine to get it serviced.The owner who did the work thought i needed a new needle threader,10 bucks.WELL,i told him there was nothing wrong with it.He just put the old one back on and to this day it's still working.Now I'm having trouble with the machine,well it is over 20 years old and my best friend.Connie in CO
PS don't let that dealer get away with anything!!!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:19 AM

Oh, I so agree to talk with them. I had a machine serviced, and when it came back it would not embroider properly. I called the repair person, and he told me he adjusted the tension as part of his service,(inside the machine). I could not adjust the tension for it to embroider. He offered to correct the problem. Since I had taken it along to be serviced while I was there for class, I would not be making a trip back. (Like I would want him touching it again). I requested and received all of my money back, and took it to another dealer that corrected the problem while I waited. This dealer still services my machine. Happy ending :)