Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dealer servicing...ever have them do things you didn't request?? >

Dealer servicing...ever have them do things you didn't request??

Dealer servicing...ever have them do things you didn't request??

Old 06-24-2011, 05:21 AM
Banned

Go back and demand they replace your original throatplate if you are not happy with this one. They are not allowed to replace anything you did not ask them to and should have returned the old parts to you as well.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:33 AM

Sounds like these people do not belong in business. You took the machine in for cleaning. It was a 'hook'....of course they will find something else to do to it because they aren't going to invest time in something that doesn't put cash in the register. If your machine is under warranty and the next nearest dealer is beyond reach, take the punch and pay someone in the area who is an independent repair person. You're machine is an investment that needs to be maintained. Next time you take the machine anywhere, specify that they will call you to explain the repair and give you a price BEFORE the work is done. Get an itemized receipt of everything they did to the machine. I make a hang tag with my name, address, phone # and explain why I have brought it to them. I no longer use the local Viking dealer because their on-site repairman is gone after 15 years and they take the machine to 'someone' 40 35 miles away. Too many people have had issues with this 'someone'. I don't want a 3-way conversation about my machine.....I want to speak to whomever is doing the work. Now I drive much further but have no problems with this person.
And to be in a store where the workers are having negative conversations about other customers!!! You've got to be kidding!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 AM

Never had that problem, I service my own machines.

My husband took his computer in to have the power pack replaced and a new OS put in. They erased his whole hard drive, even the back up one.

When he asked why they did that.......

they said, "Because it wasn't on the work order NOT to."

He lost hundreds of dollars worth of programs and data he was saving.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:03 AM

Lee do you have your receipt for the machine. Also did you register the machine when you bought it. If so.Check and see if the serial number matches. It is on the machine. Contact the company and report them. You don't have to tolerate this type of service. You have a warranty on the machine use it. I know even with my Brother Machine that I bought at Walmart I registered it. I go online and check for updates on it and they send me emails. So please contact the Company and let them know how you were treated and what they did to your machine WITHOUT your permission.
Good Luck.
Quilty Hugs,
Ann W. in Indiana
Old 06-24-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
I took my machine for it's free servicing, where it is supposed to be completely checked out and "cleaned"-HA, what a joke that is! Anyway, it just needed minor adjustments for the overwinding bobbin and reverse associated loops, as well as "cleaning". Well, when I unpacked it, I notice a ton of holes in the plate (whatever you call it) around the feed dogs! Well, before I took it in, the plastic bobbin window/ access did not open very easily, but I managed ok. Apparently, they didn't like it, so they installed some thingamajig and now the window flies completely off of the machine and onto the floor...and there are 6, yes 6 holes, in the plate now. It's awful! I did not even mention any problems that I was having with it, so why would they mutilate my plate?? ARGGGGGGGG :evil:

Cleaning...I cleaned it before I took it in and it looks worse now. What is involved when dealers clean machines? How do you really know if they cleaned inside? I had lint all down around the bobbin case and everything, which had been cleaned before I took it in! Makes me mad and I really don't think you get what you pay for. I have big trust issues when I feel I have been mislead, so maybe I should just stick with the oldies that I can learn to fix/ service myself??
Are you sure they gave you your machine? If it had more lint that before then it could only have gotten there by heavy sewing. There would be no reason to drill holes in your feed plate. I would call them and ask if they switched machines on you somehow.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 AM

There's something terribly wrong here. I work at a sewing machine store and our repaired machines are shinny clean.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

yes, i paid over $100.00 when nothing was wrong.but it got cleaned!!
take it back and complain loudly!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:15 AM

I'm really sorry for your problems - it shouldn't happen but, not every repairer is like that. I'm really fortunate in having a wonderful sewing machine shop even though it's 400 miles away in Edinburgh! My machine packed up last Thursday evening whilst I was in the middle of FMQ. I rang the shop first thing Friday am. and, after several phone calls and advice, it was decided that it needed to go back to Edinburgh for repair. The carrier came for it Monday pm, it arrived in E Tuesday am and, at 10.50am Wednesday, the carrier knocked on my door with it back in good working order! How's that for service!! I would recommend David Drummond to anyone in the UK wanting to purchase a machine, new or second hand. He prides himself on the after-sales service which he gives - and he provides free carriage both ways for as long as you personally own the machine! If I had taken it locally, it would have been away for at least 2 weeks.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 AM

Somerset Val,

You have a very rare commodity. I hope he's not near retirement age :-) !!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
OMG!! I never thought about it!! These folks are always on the defense, on their best day! I dread it. I have been considering selling this machine, just to not have to deal with them. I was new to sewing machines when I purchased, so I didn't do my homework. I always wondered why I would see people put their names on the machines with stickers and what not. I have no clue if it is mine or not, but it did have the same thread in it. Maybe I will just go trade it in today...ugh. Guess I will go remove the throat plate and take it with me...gulp! These mean old women scare me..lol.

Will post this afternoon when I get back, unless they lock me in their closet or something! Oh my! LOL
Don't let them scare you. Be assertive. I'm sorry you bought your machine there! They do not deserve your business if they are intimidating. Let us know what happens. The replies given here are correct. They cannot drill holes in your parts, or do any repair without telling you what is going on and getting your approval.