Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dealer servicing...ever have them do things you didn't request?? >

Dealer servicing...ever have them do things you didn't request??

Dealer servicing...ever have them do things you didn't request??

Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about the horror story of your machine. I always take my machine to a reputable dealer, well established in my area. They always go thru the machine and if they find anything other then the normal tune-up,they call me with an estimate. If parts are replaced the defunct parts are always returned when I pick up my machine. Then they show me where the new parts were placed and explain anything else I need. Next to your purchase, the relationship with your dealer starts when you come in for free lessons or servicing. I would never take my machine to someone who passes thru town once a week or who works out of his home and advertises the he "works" on all models. How good can they really be. Established dealers in your area will only be there if they have good customer loyalty. It should be a resiprecal (know I"m spelling that wrong) relationship between dealer and customer.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 PM

I would be questioning if I was getting my machine back or if they gave my machine to someone else and I got the bad one...
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Kas

Please don't let them intimidate you! Go and complain! It IS worth the trouble.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:58 AM

Just to clear things up, when I said I went to other dealers, I was looking for another machine...not someone else to repair. This dealer has been in business for decades and only sells machines and a wee bit of fabric/ patterns/ accessories. I think they are hanging on by a thread, because they hardly ever have any floor models or machines...their spots are always empty. I could trade up and get 100% value towards a new purchase, but I just don't like it there and parts are becoming very hard to get in a reasonable time. I guess that happens when they merge so many brands and move it to China??

As I said, I believe the machine will function just fine, so I am just going to use it to take to classes and such, since it will be my lightest. I really want a featherweight, but the going rate for them is ridiculous- perhaps one day I will cave in.

Thanks for the support, as I just needed to vent a bit, but I am done with it. I am excited to order my new Juki today, but now I have to decide between the TL98 or 2010!! I am not a good decision maker when it comes to such things..lol
Old 06-24-2011, 03:20 AM

Guess I'm lucky. Been dealing with the same repair service since moving here in 1970. Have bought several machines from them and they do all my service work, even machines I bought on Ebay at a cheaper price and a vintage Singer I bought at a garage sale. . They have ALWAYS call befrore doing anything I haven't specifically requested. They always provide a itemized list of every thing they've done and the cost - of course the labor is always the most expensive thing on the list:>).
Shop around for a service company with a good reputation:
How long have they been in business;
Many have letters of thanks, recommendations, certificates of awards, etc on display;
Contact quilters in your area for references (fabric stores have bulletin boards with business cards of quilters and guilds, they're glad to help);
Don't be afraid to ask questions;
Can't made a quilt in the store, but give it a "once ove" before you leave the shop - you would have certainly notices 6 new holes;
CHECK THIS SITE FOR MEMBERS IN YOUR AREA AND FIND OUT WHO SERVICES THEIR MACHINES!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Wow...what a story, makes me thankful for my dealer! We have a fantastic service guy and gal there...yes, they have 2 just for our little town and surrounding area. They are great!

Hope you eventually find someone you are happy with to do your service work.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:56 AM

sounds like a shop to stay out of I would not trade machines there find a reputable dealer my dealer never does anything extra on my machine when servicing without calling me first
Old 06-24-2011, 05:06 AM

Maybe - just maybe - you didn't get back the same machine you left with them. Your sales receipt should have a serial number. I would check that and yes, also, take it back and give 'm heck. Don't leave until you get some satisfaction.

My husband fixes sewing machines and they always look brand new, and work beautifully when he sends them back.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

Definately call them and make them replace it. DON'T BACKDOWN OR TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!We have to stand up for ourselves.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:19 AM

Make sure it is your machine, sometimes they mix up peoples machines. I took my very nice looking machine in for servicing went to get it and I noticed the cover wasn't my cover, so in mentioning it they looked inside it wasn't my machine. Take it back and show them the problems, make them make it right for you.

Good Luck

Sue