Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Did anyone else read this in McCall's mag

I agree! I have found that by sharing ideas and learning from looking at other beautiful quilts that I can spend more on the fabric that I LOVE,
    Plus the few magazines that my friends and I have we share.

For many years I worked in a print shop,Copy right laws do stand up in court.
    Christina (Chrissy)

Quote Originally Posted by JJs
    Another question:
    If these designers and magazines are so gung-ho on controlling YOUR quilt and what you can do with it after YOU make it, that should be clearly stated with each and every pattern in the magazine...
    For instance, the aforementioned McCalls - there are patterns in there so why not put the copyright notice right there along with the designers name???? On page 64 is a quilt called "Rosie's Wreaths", designed by Pat Sloan... tells you how to make the quilt, tells you how much of each fabric you need, gives you the patterns - NO WHERE does it say, oh by the way, after you make this quilt you can't show it to anybody or that we are going to keep track of you and your quilt for ever...
    On page 34 is a MAPLE LEAF quilt - "designed" by Renee Peterson - You think???? Maple leaf has been around FOREVER...
    Same thing for the quilt on page 26, or the pinwheels on page 20 or the Snowballs and 9 patch on page 46 - oh wait, they changed the name to "Swing Dance" - and now they are claiming this oh so traditional quilt design???????????
    Frankly the whole thing is getting stupider by the minute.

If somebody comes up with a new, fantastic design (and I've seen some at shows) with a new idea on how to combine colors or something, I can see where they should be credited.
    But this taking old standard squares and sticking a quilt in a magazine and then claiming the 'design' is beyond belief.
    Especially since the squares used in the quilts I just mentioned are ALL IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN and in the EQ programs AND EQ's copyright info says you can use those squares to your heart's content....

sheesh
    Okay, I had to buy the magazine to see what this was all about. 'Sheesh' is right!

First of all, what's the big idea of using a cutesy cartoon of a quilter in prison! Talk about scare tactics.

Secondly, referring to the quilts shown and patterns included in this magazine - who and HOW did the magazine perform due diligence prior to publishing these quilts and patterns to ensure that they weren't infringing on someone else's copyright? Like the person (probable a century or more ago) who created the maple leaf pattern? I certainly agree that, as beautiful as Renee Peterson's maple leaf quilt is, she certainly didn't create the maple leaf pattern. Her use of fabric was unique? So is ours. What makes her quilt copyrightable? No offense to Renee Peterson - I think her quilt is gorgeous and I'm only using hers as an example because we all recognize the maple leaf pattern.

I'm making two baby quilts for a set of twins soon to be born. I'm making them in the D9P. Do I have to tell the mom that she'd better not take the babies out of her home wrapped in these quilts in the event someone else sees the D9P pattern in the quilts and threatens to prosecute? And God forbid she take the twins on an airplane wrapped in these quilts - imagine the huge numbers of people that might see the 'stolen' pattern then!

I'm afraid that this really reminds me of our Homeowner's Association when this neighborhood was first built. I planted flowers in the front yard and received a nasty letter saying I had to remove them because I didn't seek approval from the HOA for the COLOR choice! When people who don't usually feel powerful get a little power it goes to their heads.

Rules are needed, but power trips aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by garysgal
    So now I have a question about EQ7- do you have to have EQ6 first? the system requirements said you have to have EQ6 before-I forget the rest of what is required from the EQ6 to install EQ7. Does anyone know? If I buy the EQ7 I don't want to have to buy the EQ6 as well-or is this something you have to update every year or so??
    No, you don't need to own EQ6 except to install the EQ7 Upgrade version. You just buy the whole EQ7 program instead.
    http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ7/EQ7.asp

Blog Entries
    I saw a quilt picture on a very popular quilt blog this morning. The blogger showed pictures step by step how she made it. It is the same pattern that is in one of the newer quilt books out now. The book was not listed nor was the pattern designer. The blogger had a different name for her quilt. Instructions are not copyrighted so I can use her instructions and make this quilt and display it, sell it, write my own instructions and copy them all I want. What's the difference?

I get tired of all the fuss over copyright. Unless the pattern states that I can't sell, show or give it away, then I do what I want. I don't make anything that says I can't sell, show or give it away. If they say I can use the pattern for my own personal use, then I sell, show or give it away -- that's MY personal use. I always have believed the statements mean we're not to take the exact pattern instructions, copy them and then try to sell them to make money. THAT would tick me off as a designer.

There is VERY little designs nowadays that are original in quilting world. The creative quilting would be the exception.

Meanwhile, I've said this before, if they want to try to get $$ off me, good luck....it's not there. I spend it on quilting supplies! :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by cattailsquilts
    So now I have a question about EQ7- do you have to have EQ6 first? the system requirements said you have to have EQ6 before-I forget the rest of what is required from the EQ6 to install EQ7. Does anyone know? If I buy the EQ7 I don't want to have to buy the EQ6 as well-or is this something you have to update every year or so??
    No, you don't need to own EQ6 except to install the EQ7 Upgrade version. You just buy the whole EQ7 program instead.
    http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ7/EQ7.asp
    thanks for the info. I am going to look into it.

Police every where....I thought this was a free country????

Blog Entries
    I canceled McCalls Quilting and most other quilting magazines if we can't use the patterns why pay for the magazine I do like entering things in the fair but why are the copyrights only for us do you remember Stack and Whack by Bethany Reynolds then along comes someone who tweeks it called One Block Wonder now I see a new one out by Sarah Newhew tweeked into a star there is lots of that kind going on but when we buy a magazine we cannot even inter in a fair
    I'm getting burned out on this quilting thing

Blog Entries
    This is also being discussed in this thread:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55879-14.htm#1440609

Just as JJs had pointed out in her comments, it comes down to what is original design. I mentioned in the thread link above that I am tired of designers laying claim to patterns. Many of these designs are in the public domain. What are the elements of an original design? How can some of these designs be 'original' when they have been copied from many sources. Is it because they have taken that pattern and recently published it in a book or wrote an article in a magazine with a sample pattern using a public domian design?

Just walk through the churches in Europe and you will see every pattern/design imaginable in the tiles, stained glass, frescoes and the mosaics that you now see in quilting. These master artisans made these beautiful designs centuries ago.

community benefactor
    Has anyone actually asked the designer for her/his permission? Was it difficult?
    I thought I was paying for the patterns in the magazines I've been subscribing to for so many years. Guess not- am I paying for the pictures and ads?
    I agree may have to fall back on my imagination/creativity such as it is, LOL.

I read that article in the McCalls Quilting magazine and one of the points that was mentioned was what to do if you are at a quilt show or quilt fair and you see quilts and wonder if the person got permission to show them. They suggested that you don't approach the person showing them in case they do have permission, but go to whoever is in charge and find out that way. This leads me to wonder what kind of quilt shows we are going to have if everyone does that. I seems it might put an end to them. I hope not.

Blog Entries
    I would argue that I am the designer. Even though I used a pattern the design is new because of differnt colors a different border a different size a new twist. As long I bring my own style to a pattern and give it my spin it would be considered "new". Anyone Agree? there is an article about copyright law in an old APQ mag. I'll look into it and post.

I read that article in the McCalls Quilting magazine and one of the points that was mentioned was what to do if you are at a quilt show or quilt fair and you see quilts and wonder if the person got permission to show them. They suggested that you don't approach the person showing them in case they do have permission, but go to whoever is in charge and find out that way. This leads me to wonder what kind of quilt shows we are going to have if everyone does that. I seems it might put an end to them. I hope not.
    Wow, great business move McCalls. That attitude is almost guaranteed to reduce their readership and ruin small county fairs. I honestly doubt that most designers want to be inundated with requests from every single person showing a quilt at their local village hall etc. At this rate, quilt shows will end up self-limiting to pro and semi-pro quilters, and the average home quilter will just not show anymore.

Blog Entries
    I bought a quilt book by a well known quilt designer. In the book it said email for permission for one quilt to be used in a workshop. I emailed for permission to use the pattern in free workshop for 10 people. I never go a response. I emailed every week for six weeks, even emailed the publisher. Never got a response. I thought about leaving a comment on her blog but decided I wasn't going to beg. I sent the last email saying since she did not say no I was going to assume the answer was yes. I used the pattern for the workshop. Even sent pictures of the finished blocks to her website. Never heard a word.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I bought a quilt book by a well known quilt designer. In the book it said email for permission for one quilt to be used in a workshop. I emailed for permission to use the pattern in free workshop for 10 people. I never go a response. I emailed every week for six weeks, even emailed the publisher. Never got a response. I thought about leaving a comment on her blog but decided I wasn't going to beg. I sent the last email saying since she did not say no I was going to assume the answer was yes. I used the pattern for the workshop. Even sent pictures of the finished blocks to her website. Never heard a word.
    Makes you wonder, doesn't it, why they tell you that and then don't even reply. Here you are trying to be honest and they respond with rudness. I have gotten to the point where I am not renewing any of my quilt magazine subscriptions ( and I take a bunch) and will use the money on something else. It isn't worth the trouble and frustration.

JJs
    Banned
    To carry this discussion a step further - the McCalls claim to every pattern in the universe as stated... "There is no particular amount of change that will make the new work acceptable. If it is a VARIATION of the original, inspired BY the original, it is derivative" (page 54 "make a derivative work." )

ok, on page 34 is a so-called "new" design claimed by a Renee Peterson - nice quilt but IT'S A MAPLE LEAF! How long has the maple leaf pattern been around? How can this person claim a DERIVATIVE WORK of a Maple leaf patterned quilt?

And then claim anyone who makes a maple leaf (derivative) quilt has to ask this person's permission and possibly McCalls magazine to show a maple leaf quilt???????

There are several "derivative" quilts in the current magazine - so is it McCall's intention to suck up all the PUBLIC DOMAIN blocks in existence over a period of years and CLAIM THEM by making DERIVATIVE quilt designs from them?? And then claiming they are NEW and THEN declaring that YOU have to beg on bended knee and PAY THEM to use a PUBLIC DOMAIN block to make a quilt?

And, what about the people who make maple leaf quilts who have never laid eyes on this quilt in this magazine?

It would be interesting to know how McCalls would explain this.

And that bull-crap about QUILT POLICE spying on other quilters and making sure they have permission to show a quilt - WHAT?!?

ps - *I* made a maple leaf quilt for my daughter back in 1994 - this Peterson person did NOT ask my permission to make a DERIVATIVE QUILT from MY maple leaf quilt, and McCalls did NOT ask my permission to use a DERIVATIVE maple leaf quilt in their magazine!! So how about them apples.

I wonder if McCalls is getting any feedback on this? Every quilter in America (and beyond) should send them a letter and cancel their subscription. What they printed doesn't make sense and it isn't fair. I agree with JJs-if someone made a quilt without seeing the pattern in a magazine, what then?? enough already! I plan to write to McCalls and let them know what I think.

Would love to know how McCall's responds. This is a very interesting topic.

I will email tonight if I can and let everyone know what they say. I'm so mad about it, I only hope I can remember to say what I want to say.

I thought about this thread all night and first thing this a.m. This is so ridiculous that it isn't even funny. Why sell patterns if you don't want the end product displayed or shown off. Stupid idea. I think these designers who do that are just too full of themselves and they are the ones we should boycott. Next thing we know the LAQ's will not want us to 'display' their designs without permission either. I'm all for giving credit where credit is due but it seems to me that as long as I don't sell or copy the actual pattern itself, I should be able to sell or display my own work. I have bought my last designer's pattern and won't be subscribing to any more quilt magazines. There are plenty of free designs around. I was just wondering...where does this leave Dunster and her Log cabin Star quilt that she sold on here. I have seen others like it before I saw hers, I even bought her pattern. Does this mean that we can't use the tutorials on this site anymore. This is worse than a merry go round.

This article came out on the AQS (American Quilters Society) website. Hopefully it will answer your concerns.
    http://www.americanquilter.com/shows...permission.php

After thinking about this for several days, I think the thing that makes me angriest about McCall's article is that they must assume most of us quilters are like sheep, having no ability to think on our own. Reading through the comments on this thread, it is very evident that we are a very intelligent group, and we don't follow blindly just because someone on a glossy page tells us to! I am also done with McCall's magazine.

JJs
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarpanini
    This article came out on the AQS (American Quilters Society) website. Hopefully it will answer your concerns.
    http://www.americanquilter.com/shows...permission.php
    Interesting - that's the SAME thing that's in the McCall's rag - sounds like these places have gotten together and "hatched a plan".

or the "designers" are creating a stink.

Which reinforces MY plan to design my own quilts in EQ - as I've said before, I hate sounding like a commercial (I asked myself if I could quote myself and myself said, "yes" ) but it looks like we all need to take a step back from magazines and books for INSPIRATION and just frequent places with free quilt blocks (read: public domain) - there are enough of us on this board that we CAN make our voices heard.

If I used "designer" quilt patterns to make wowie quilts I would have no problem with acknowledging the designer and/or asking permission to show some far-out fantastic quilt but this claiming LONG TIME PUBLIC DOMAIN blocks in DERIVATIVE works and then saying we have to ask permission is really a dirty deed.

Ok, here's another thought, that says that if you see a displayed quilt that you have to ask permission to make/display a similar quilt. How many have seen a double wedding ring quilt hanging in a show or museum? NUMEROUS quilts. Soooooo, do we dig up the dead old lady who made the first one? And who was she? And if we can't get to her WHO IS CLAIMING *****HER**** DESIGN and making you ASK to show it???????? And has everybody who came after her asked her permission?

As I said, it's totally stupid and if they say they are not claiming public domain blocks they are LYING.
    Go over that crap with a fine tooth magnifying glass and you'll see....

Blog Entries
    I wonder if McCalls is getting any feedback on this? Every quilter in America (and beyond) should send them a letter and cancel their subscription. What they printed doesn't make sense and it isn't fair. I agree with JJs-if someone made a quilt without seeing the pattern in a magazine, what then?? enough already! I plan to write to McCalls and let them know what I think.
    I did too...read the comments on the maple leaf quilt...very interesting...how could she claim it is her "design"...mind boggling. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    I did too...read the comments on the maple leaf quilt...very interesting...how could she claim it is her "design"...mind boggling. LOL
    Canada has the Maple Leaf on our flag. Maybe that is where she saw it and decided to infringe on our flag copyrights. This is getting absurd. We will have to watch every stitch we make if this keeps up. I wrote to McCall's also. Told them the Maple Leaf quilt in this month's mag looks too much like Ruth Powers' October Weekend Pattern Plus quilt to be a coincidence. They should practice what they preach. If anyone complains about the designs they publish, McCall's can't claim they didn't know. They published the article and left themselves wide open.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast