Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did You Know.....Not All Rulers are Created Equal? >

Did You Know.....Not All Rulers are Created Equal?

Did You Know.....Not All Rulers are Created Equal?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:00 AM

yes ruler are not all equal. there are only 2 brands of rulers that have what they call line-of-site. they are Ominigrid and Nifty Notions(which give to breast cancer) there are small breaks in the line where you line the edge of fabic up on and then you are consistent. I have complete line of Nifty Notions rulers plus extras in my travel bag. I have interchanged these 2 brand and it has worked fine.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:32 AM

I didnt know this. Thank you.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by AndiR
A recent thread on rulers reminded me that if you are shopping for a new rotary cutting ruler, look carefully at the lines on it. Some rulers have lines that are rather thick. That can make a huge difference in how accurately your blocks turn out.

I had a beginning quilting student and no matter how hard she tried, she could not get her blocks to turn out the size they were supposed to. We finally realized that the ruler she was using had lines that were about 1/16" of an inch wide. When she lined up the fabric on the edge of that line, each of her pieces was coming out 1/16" short. That might not seem like a lot, but that adds up to 1/8" for each seam, and if there were 4 seams across the block, that would add up to 1/2" short!!!!

Moral of the story - if accuracy is important to you, when shopping for a new ruler, look for one with the thinnest lines possible. And always use the same ruler to cut all the pieces for a project.
No day is wasted if you learn something new. Thanks! froggyintexas
Old 08-04-2011, 07:46 AM

YES..I have learned that lesson..lol..!!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 AM

I also noticed you should use the same ruler for your entire project.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the reminder!!!! I had forgotten this and am ready to buy another ruler or two! :P
Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by AndiR
A recent thread on rulers reminded me that if you are shopping for a new rotary cutting ruler, look carefully at the lines on it. Some rulers have lines that are rather thick. That can make a huge difference in how accurately your blocks turn out.

I had a beginning quilting student and no matter how hard she tried, she could not get her blocks to turn out the size they were supposed to. We finally realized that the ruler she was using had lines that were about 1/16" of an inch wide. When she lined up the fabric on the edge of that line, each of her pieces was coming out 1/16" short. That might not seem like a lot, but that adds up to 1/8" for each seam, and if there were 4 seams across the block, that would add up to 1/2" short!!!!

Moral of the story - if accuracy is important to you, when shopping for a new ruler, look for one with the thinnest lines possible. And always use the same ruler to cut all the pieces for a project.
*** Moral of the story #2 *** it ALMOST IS rocket science... ;)
Old 08-04-2011, 01:54 PM

I agree. I have one ruler with very thick lines, and it does make it inaccurate. I wonder why they made them that way? Must have been a "He"
Old 08-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by dotgreen
I agree. I have one ruler with very thick lines, and it does make it inaccurate. I wonder why they made them that way? Must have been a "He"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-04-2011, 03:00 PM

I was taught that you don't put the fabric on the edge of the ruler line, but you put the ruler on the edge of the fabric. Where the lines intersect there is a clear space where you can see if the ruler is on the fabric edge. But you are right, use the same ruler thru out the whole project.