Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    You are growing as a quilter and as an artist. You are not satisfied anymore with someone telling you which fabrics to buy and what to do with it.

Is great to see quilters making their own choices. Still the patterns need to stay in business, but use them only as guidance. Use the pattern and select your own fabrics.
    I so agree with this. I think I bought & tried every technique or pattern out there. I had boxes of magazines. Eventually I found them too constricting.

I'm all over the place in my interests, so I tend to pick up a variety of Mags including, Quilting Arts, Quilters Home, Stitch, Threads & Sewing World. I find the internet the best place for inspiration thru Blogs & Google images. My style is in the "out there" category :D

Annette

Blog Entries
    I'm getting so tired of All of my mags that I'm letting all of the subscriptions expire. Then I guess I will decide if I miss any of them. They seem to be geared to the beginning quilter which is fine as we were all there once. Sometimes I even still feel that way! I like it though when they have more articles about techniques more than just patterns. Its more interesting to me.

Even without buying any quilting magazines, I have more patterns than I could ever make in a lifetime of full-time quilting. I have downloaded freebies from the internet and designed my own. I'd rather use the money for fabric or gadgets than one magazines. Now books are another story. I'm trying not to get any more books unless it has techniques rather than patterns.

For those who want to design their own patterns but can't afford to buy a program, try this free one. I use it to draft the blocks for my Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt. It is very easy and basic. I may upgrade someday to a purchased program but for now this one works.
    Quilt Assistant.

http://www.cosman.nl/software_en.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I generally buy 2 from the UK, and 2 from the US. I am really fed up with seeing bags in those from the UK. EVERY month there is a bag of some sort. How many variations on a Tote do we need? In fairness, there are a few other shapes occasionally, but to me, they are a waste of time and space in the mag. I would be highly unlikely to want to make one.
    Lacelady, I love your kitty!

Blog Entries
    I no longer subscribe to magazines... I get more inspiration from here and other online sites than what I was from the magazines.
    I can pick and choose which patterns to purchase online too.
    I love my EQ program, it is very enjoyable to me to design my own blocks and quilts. It paid for itself when I dropped the magazine subscriptions :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I passed the "quick and easy" phase a long time ago. I like a challenge, even if it's a little over my head! :wink:
    The only mag I currently subscribe to is Quilters Newsletter, just got a new issue a couple of days ago and was pretty disappointed with it.

Blog Entries
    I've about given up on mags/books.Now & then a book will catch my interst,but not often.Many LQSs & on line shops keep pushing the pre-cuts,from charms to 10"sqs & pre cut quilts.Nothing wrong with them,I've recieved several for gifts,but don't buy them.Rather get a quarter or half yd cut.But that's just me.It's been a long time since I've seen completely new patterns.Have found more on this board than in a LQS.
    Maybe the table covers,totes are being shown for a reason.Few younger ppl have the time for making bed size quilts.After working all day & going home to care for the family,lucky to get a few mins to themselves.JMO Also,the economy being what it is,takes less $$ to buy a couple fat quarters rather than a few yds.
    To me, the selling of fabric lines benefits the company & LQS.That's ok,shopping for last yrs fabric is fine with me & always seems to be a lot of it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PKITTY1
    :thumbdown: I've been disppointed by the contents of the quilting magazines and books for about a year. I have alot of patterns but I love new stuff that is different. I'm not seeing anything that I can say is new: patterns or techniques. The trends I'm seeing are these: smaller projects, easier patterns, and emphasis on specific looks with specific fabric lines. The majority of the magazine patterns are by new fabric designers with very busy fabrics. These fabrics are difficult to use for more intricate patterns such as applique, etc... What concerns me is that quilts are becoming packaged and creatively stifled. Get this fabric, get this look and don't think outside my specific design instructions. I miss having a pattern that I could chose my own fabrics and get a similar if not exact look without having to buy a specific fabric line. What do you think? Thanks for letting me vent.

I agree with everything being said here :) I use to get at least 4 magazines but haven't subscribed in about 6 (maybe more) years because I haven't seen anything that "inspires" me! I never liked Quilter's Newsletter at all. Fons & Porter had mostly intermediate and challenging patterns and I was only a beginner at the time. I bought several, way back when, Quick and Easy magazines thinking that if I could complete something that was quick and easy I'd keep going and learn more. Unfortunately, I didn't like the patterns very much and I never did any of them. I've actually learned through the years that I don't do patterns at all. I have learned more from this Board, and been inspired by pictures on here, than I ever did from a magazine. I still have a ton of my old quilting magazines that I flip through every once in a while but I still don't see anything that "trips my trigger", so to speak...LOL

I, too, like to go to the library and look through the older quilting books. I'm not especially a "traditionalist" because I like a lot of the modern quilting designs I've seen too. Sometimes I make something up and combine the two. That's my inspiration and my challenge.

Every month I go to the book store and cruise through all the quilt magazines. usually at least 12 of them. Can you believe that I have only bought maybe 1 or 2 in a year? Thats how boring the patterns are to me. to many fast and easy patterns. Now they are putting plastic on them!!! PLEeeese!!! I'm not spending that much money on something I can't see what I'm getting for my money.

The only magazine I have bought AND enjoyed over the past year has been Quilter's Home. I liked it well enough once I started reading it, that I even bought older issues, when possible. I have not found the patterns in it to be terribly appealing, but have relished reading the articles.

My issue is the quilts that are designed for a specific pattern line. Ok, sometimes I decide that it would be perfect as presented in the mag...yeah, right! Just try to find all of the fabrics listed....they are usually sold out or discontinued by the time I get the magazine! When I design with EQ7 I can start with a generic fabric and then plug in my choices or work the other way, design the quilt using a specific fabric that I have. I agree the mags are getting the same old, same old.

I thought the latest Quilter's Newsletter was different, but awful!!!
    There wasn't anything in it that was in the least bit interesting.

Jamie, that's how it works. Go with what inspires you. There is no right way or wrong way if it works for you. Magazines have their place. Some of us are jaded ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2