Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Do any of you quilters also machine embroider?

Blog Entries
    I too do machine embroidery, in addition to quilting......I have a few tops where I have embroidered blocks and then pieced those in. Also have embroidery patterns that I use to actually quilt the smaller quilts......

I do Monograms on towels.......linen napkins, table cloths....tea towels....tee shirts....men's dress shirt cuffs......I make some clothes for Grandchildren, and embroider those as well...so much fun.....Press the button, sip some tea, and watch the maching make magic!

Yes, I have a viking designer 1 and i use the embroiery unit as a quilting pattern. i made Christmas quilts for my children and on the one i embroidered snowflakes all over. it was very striking but a lot of work.
    there are embroidery patterns for quilting use. have also emroidered squares incerted in the quilt pattern. I sew quilts for babies in crisis and wll embroider for them as well. one baby quilt has embroidered squares, with long cabin in shades of pink, blue, yellow and green. have seen embroidered squares of deer with log cabin, very striking. hope this helps you. hot grandma

:) Hi Bev, I do machine embroidery on my quilts. I really like to do it when you put your on the material it really makes it tight & the design comes out nice . The back has no riples. you can email me at [email protected] & I can show you my quilts.

I do the same. And right now I have finished quilting a mariners compass and I have been experimenting with embrodering large and small doves in the triangles. It really looks beautiful and it will save me from having to free motion quilt it.

I have a question that maybe u can help me with. I am trying to use Pallet vs 7 to convert jpeg and bitmap pictures to PES and for some reason I can't do it. How can I change my pictures to PES so that I can put them in my quilt? I'm at a lost for how to do this. I'm just about ready to go to my babylock store and take some kind of class.

missdee

Hi!
    Wow! You sound very busy!! I thought I was doing a lot! I started with a Brother 8500 then went to the ULT 2300D which I use for embroidery. I keep it set up most of the time on the side of the table my QC 1000 Innovis (Brother) which I quilt on! This way, while it's embroidering, I can be working on peicing quilt blocks or whatever? I bought an inexpensive brother for our RV for rainy weather but I'm not real happy with it so I think I'll take the 8500 with me now -IF it will fit under the bed! I have hundreds of designs, quilt & embroidery. Lots from Embroidery Library but I'll take "for free" when I can get it!! 'annthegran.com' has LOTS of freebies. I have used them many times! Especially if I only want 1 or 2 of something & don't want to buy a whole pack or pay a lot! It's amazing how many sites are out there & all the info that's shared. God Bless them all! :lol:

Just loved your toilet roll. I did some that I put a puppy on and it said I didn't do it. The puppy has his guilty face on. I also made some that say, "If he's a pain, flush him" and "If she's a pain, flush her" I have them set aside for special friends who have had a love problem. Really a spirit lifter.

When doing them, the neatest part if you mess up, just tear off that square and try again. No ripping out for me!

I have a SWF1501 and a Viking D-1. Usually use the 150l and the D1 gets used for machine applique. I also have a long arm, a favorite older machine that I use for piecing and one always kept threaded with heavy thread for putting on patches for bikers etc. Problem is there is only one of me. Where is that guy that cloned the sheep?
    Happy stitching

I don't know what pallet is but a jpeg or a bitmap cannot be converted to a pes file. They are pictures not stitch files.

Digitized files like a .dst or .huv can be converted.

Happy stitching

Yes, I have embroidered whole quilts and or used it to quilt with. I sew every day unless sick or out of town. I have 2 Des.1's , 4 classroom machines, a mega quilter, singer featherweight, 2 industrial machines, an antique singer, 2 tredel singers and one serger for now. I don't have them all in one room but have 2 sewing rooms, one is for me and one is a classroom but we use mine too. Someday I hope to have it all set up in one big room with all machines set up to use. my feather weight is on a shelf and my tredel is buried under sewing projects.

Blog Entries
    I have the brother 8500 and 270D. If I had it to do over I would go bigger at the beginning. My largest hoop is 5x7 and I definately would like to do bigger. Did "inthehoop" scissor holders for christmas gifts and everyone loved them Nice change from piecing

I have the Singer Quantam 5000 & I just love to embroider blocks & make them into quilts. My laptop is connected directly to the sewing machine so it is so easy to send the designs to it. I just love combing my two loves quilting & embroidery. Hope you keep enjoying yours.
    Serena

I have used pallet 5 and also found it hard to convert photos to pes. However, after using another software I have a couple of suggestions.
    1. If there is a busy background in the picture it is difficult to automatically convert. You can remove the background before attempting to convert.
    2. Or if there is a trace feature on the pallet 7 software, you might try importing the picture as a background and then using the bezior tool to trace around the shapes. I am using this method very successfully with the software I am now using.
    I found it has taken me a year and a half to really feel comfortable with the software. If you want to contact me privately, I will be happy to try to help you. I know how frustrating it can be to know you can do something and not be able to get it done.

:wink: thank you so much I think I have come to the conclusion that they can't be converted also. I have a babylock ellageo and a esante and a imagine serger and a 2048 pfaff quilt expressions and a pfaff grand quilter and a singer feather weight. I love the little feather weight and I have all of them in one room and I use all of them. I try to be innovative and do things out of the ordinary but sometimes this brain just shuts down (probably overload) (hee, hee hee)

missdee
    :wink:

I have to go to a dr's appt right this min or I'm going to be late but I will send u a private msg latter today.
    tk u so mch
    Dee :?

I have a Brother Duetta 4000 (I think! - it's about 2 yrs old....) Started with a Janome 9000 but couldn't get the hang of the "clothsetter" thingy. Then my best friend's husband bought her a Brother 8500 and she refused to use it because she still liked her 9000. So HE took up machine embroidery! He's got one-later model of Brother than mine, now, I think. I really liked the Brother (this is my 3rd!) because it automatically centered the designs. It is so user friendly. Like everyone else I have tons of designs. When I bought my Duetta i got a year of free designs from AnitaGooddesigns that are fantastic. Haven't used some of the more intricate ones yet but will as soon as I get my nerve up....I'm working on some sweatshirts now for my sister-ini-law, her husband, and his brother. I made the 2 guys sweatshirts probably 10 years ago and she mentioned a while back they are still wearing them! So they're getting new golf-related sweatshirts.

I've acquired several quilt-block embroidery designs but haven't yet used them. So much to do, and so little time!

Wow... didn't realized there are so many of us with embroidery machine. That's so wonderful. If you don't mind, would you please post pix of your embroidery items? So, far I've embroider on t-shirts and quilt blocks.Thanks! I need inspiration.

I also machine embroider. I got a brother esante over 10 years ago and loved it. But when I learned last March that it wouldn't stipple correctly (the service repairman couldn't figure out why), my DH told me as much as I love sewing, quilting, embroidering, that I should get a new machine. Two of my friends had a Bernina, and I knew that was what I wanted. I bit the bullet and have not regretted it for a minute. I got the 730, and am amazed at how much it can do and how easy it is to create and change designs. Caroltee, thanks for listing websites other than Emb.Library.

Be careful...I started out with the Brother 8500, then got a ULT2003D, then QC-1000 In-novis & today really went over the top. Bought the Quantro 6000! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! Never thought I would own that machine! But there's always one better! I think I'd better stop where I am! I bought an inexpensive machine for the RV but thinking about putting the 8500 in the RV & selling the other?? WE'll see. but with the bad weather we had on our last trip, I got lots of sewing done! Ennjoy! :D

I actually started with a Viking machine for quilting/piecing...
    Then I got the Brother 8500D and started ME...WOW!!!!
    I sold the Viking when I did not need 2 machines...and last May I got the 4500D Duetta by Brother...
    I love it, love it!
    If I could afford the Quattro, I would!!!!
    Kirsten

I got a fantastic deal on the Quattro. The more I hedged, the more stuff he threw iin & dropped the price!!! I couldn't leave without it although I didn't intend to buy it when I went there! I can't wait to get some lessons on it! I can operate it like the ULT but it does soooo much more! Has a 12"x 8" hoop! One thing leads to another!!! My DH says that as long as I'm happy...! ( I'm almost 70 so you might have to wait awhile!!) :lol: Some other sites to look at for ideas are Joann.com & HP site go to projects & one of my favorite quilting sites is About/quilting.com. More than enough to keep everybody busy! I found a "quiltinglibrary" recently & it's awesome! It's free patterns & projects! Fab!

Has anyone bought the Bernina 830? I can trade my 730 in and get full retail price since it's not a year old yet, but people I've talked to said the 830 is really too big and too heavy to take to classes and such. And I know I'd want/have to take classes for it. Would love some feedback.

That is such a cute idea!!

The embroidered toliet tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by hokieappmom
    Has anyone bought the Bernina 830? I can trade my 730 in and get full retail price since it's not a year old yet, but people I've talked to said the 830 is really too big and too heavy to take to classes and such. And I know I'd want/have to take classes for it. Would love some feedback.
    I don't personally own an 830. However, I do have a couple of friends who do have one and they simply love it. The down side is the size of the machine. One lady told me she had room for 2 machines on her table but with her 830, she had to move the 2nd machine. And yes, it's very heavy. But after you take a couple of lessons, I wouldn't move it except for it's yearly check-up :!: Good Luck -- let us know what you decide....

I just bought a new machine & have to take classes but don't have to take MY machine with me. I use their's. It's VERY heavy so I don't plan on moving it anywhere!!
    Also, HOW do you embroider on TP???? I just can't imagine?? My instructor embroidered on Balsa wood! It's beautiful. She framed it! Said the needle went thru it like hor butter!? I'm going to try that! Can't use a real dense design though. Fun! :D

Blog Entries
    these are the scissor holders I did for Christmas....I put the whooping crane scissors in them....they loved them
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast