Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do any of you quilters also machine embroider?

I also ME. Another great site to get free designs from is Sew Forum. You have to join but it is free. They even have a section where you can ask someone to create a design for you for free. Most of my purchased designs are from Embroidery Library. I also have a monthly membership to Emboridery DK. I'm a design download junky. :-)

Me, too. I have a Singer 200, and I love it! It does a nice job sewing, too, but it mainly stays set up for embriodery.
    I love the freebie sites, and have found a few good ones by googling "free machine embroidery patterns."

Just a warning for those just starting out with the ME, the free sites can be very good but you have to be careful as some of them are done by people that don't know or just starting out doing the digitizing and don't work as well as you hope they do. So unless it is a site that you trust and or person that you trust as you have used their stuff a lot, stitch it out first on scrap or a tea towel or something to try it out. This can actually go for some of the bought designs as well, though most of them wouldn't be around for long if their designs had a lot of issues. It is easier to stitch it out again than try and take it out.

I almost always do a test out stitch first especially if it is a free design. I don't alway test out those I get from Embroidery Library first because I've never had a problem from them. Like cutebuns said try and test out on the same type of fabric that you will be doing your final stitch out on. That way you will also know if the stabalizer you are using will work out. I have a t-shirt that I messed up on and if my final stitch out will be a tshirt I just do the design on another part of that messed up shirt. I have towels that I do the same thing with. Yes it does waste a little thread and stabalizer but in the long run it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Add me to the list as well! Here's one I made for a wedding gift. The magnolia design is from Embroidery library.
    i also did a quilt with that same emb design the magnolia blossom, here's mine. i have a janome memory craft 350 emb machine and i sure do love it. you can go to designsbysick.com and get designs too. and i love all the other places yall mentioned. also a pic of the peacock i did on the back of a black jacket.

peacock jacket
    Name:  Attachment-11444.jpe
Views: 151
Size:  54.9 KB

magnolia quilt
    Name:  Attachment-16325.jpe
Views: 141
Size:  43.5 KB

Oh dojo36, your magnolia quilt is lovely! And I love that peacock!!

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Oh dojo36, your magnolia quilt is lovely! And I love that peacock!!
    well thank you very much, that was just the top but it's finished now.

Here's my machine embroidery designs quilt that I've just finished.
    I'm alway looking for ways to incorporate ME designs into my quilt blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have been machine embroidering for about 5 years now and just now am beginning to feel comfortable with digitizing. I just completed a quilt for a friend's baby boy with original "critter" designs on it. My friend drew the designs for me.

I love using embroidery in quilts to make them more unique. Right now I am digitizing some spring flowers I plan to put into a quilt for my guest bed.

Blog Entries
    I an starting quiltembroidery but not for decorative purposes at the moment but I am getting braver. The most I ever do is the smallest zigzag stitch arpund the outsice of the pattern or a small running stitch aroun d the design for a baby quilt. I anm starting to read abound machine embroidery combined with hand embroidery and beading. Don't know if I have the courage to start. if and when I do it will be a tiny project.
    carol gross(ceegee)

I bought the Janome 11000 when they first came on the market specifically to enhance my quilt making efforts. However, I make only large quilts and found that the weight of the quilt causes design distortion if I hoop and embroider all 3 quilt layers, so now I embroider the blocks first and then assemble the quilts. I have had a FEW designs sew out successfully on all three layers, especially along the border area, but it's pretty "iffey" so I don't make a habit of it. Once I've gone to all the expense in time, money and effort, I do not want to mess up a quilt by having an embroidery design not do right ... removing the stitches of a flawed embroidery design is a nightmare and leaves some permanent damage to the fabric.

Although I have downloaded a lot of free designs, the ones I buy are almost always very dense and elaborate, so they definitely require embroidery first and quilt assembly later. Whether my designs are bought or freely given, I think only of how I can use them on quilts.

I have successfully covered up some quilt boo-boos with machine embroidery, such as a large dragonfly sewn over a fabric flaw. I've also added free-standing lace butterflies tacked down to a quilt, leaving their wings free.

Banned
    I use my embroidery machine mostly to do quilt labels. They're fun to do, and are always different.

Sew Lulu, I am major impressed with your alphabet quilt....wow! That is just fantastic. How long did that take you to make? Some lucky child is sure going to be happy!

I want to do an embroidered quilt.....you have inspired me to do so!

Bev

Hi,

I do lots of labels on my embroidery machine too. I have even sold a few to other quilters.
    Made quite a few table runners with embroidery in them this year, but gave them all away as gifts.
    Just finished an appliqued embroidered block yesterday with an apple basket on it, making a runner for myself. Need to do the other blocks, will take a photo when I am done.

I enjoyed reading all these posts about machine embroidery.....inspired me to do more with my machine. I need to do so since I just upgraded, again!

Happy stitching all..........

Bev

Maw

man do I love that peacock. It is beautiful. I bought my daughter a embroider machine (a cheep brother) from wal-mart but I have never tryed one yet.

I have a Singer Futura CE150 that doesn't work. Something with the softwear - I'm soooo frustrated because I can't find anyone to help me with this problem. I've downloaded patches to update what I have, but it still won't accept designs from my computer. Can anyone help, or tell me where I can get help, PLEASE??? I've been so frustrated with it, that I want to throw it as far as I can. I spent a pretty penny on it, and it's junk.
    Thanks to anyone who can give me suggestions, and/or help. By the way, I've tried to call Singer, and only get a busy signal. Frustrated beyond measure, Carol I will stick to quilting which I adore.

I LOVE to embroider. I have done LOTS of embroidered quilts. I will try to see if I have any pics and post some. I have a Bernina artists 180, a Babylock Elegante and a Brother Duetta. I dont use the Bernina for embroidery much, I sew on it mostly and have the other two running with embroidery projects while I sew.

Margie

Carol, you didn't say whether you bought this machine from a dealer who can assist you, but I assume not. Have you gone to the website, read all the FAQs? Contacted customer service at the website? I hesitate to suggest the obvious, as you've probably done all of the above. I know nothing about the Singer Futura, but I just logged onto the website; there seems to be a lot of available info. there and a customer service dept. and software info. too. I can just imagine how frustrated you must be ... I would be going bonkers. The only 2 helpful things I can think of would be dealer assistance and web site assistance. Help via the telephone is hard to get these days.

Quote Originally Posted by cbonagain
    I have a Singer Futura CE150 that doesn't work. Something with the softwear - I'm soooo frustrated because I can't find anyone to help me with this problem. I've downloaded patches to update what I have, but it still won't accept designs from my computer. Can anyone help, or tell me where I can get help, PLEASE??? I've been so frustrated with it, that I want to throw it as far as I can. I spent a pretty penny on it, and it's junk.
    Thanks to anyone who can give me suggestions, and/or help. By the way, I've tried to call Singer, and only get a busy signal. Frustrated beyond measure, Carol I will stick to quilting which I adore.
    I would talk to a dealer and see if they can help you. Also are you sure that you are using the right format for your machine. I don't have this machine so I'm sorry that I can't be of more help.

Hi, I also have an Elegante 2. I'm still learning to use it but I find that I love finding free designs to download. I recently purchased PE8 and finding it a bit difficlult to learn.

I also have a Janome QC machine which I've used for straight sewing and piecing. I have them both up all the time. Piecing and embroidering...lots of fun!

You are quite right about the websites for designs. There are 100s, maybe 1000s. It's fun to find a new site with free designs. I just recently figured out how to use the online DZGNS.com magazines and have found a lot of free designs there.

I have a Brother ULT2002D that I bought for the built-in Disney designs when my girls were little (they're both teens now). I had another Brother embroidery machine before that one but just had to trade it in to get the Disneys. Now I make a lot of baby quilts for my nieces' babies and use embroidery in the blocks so the Disneys still get a lot of use. I also use it to make quilt labels for myself and for the quilts my church group gives to charity.

Lyn
    I have a Pfaff Creative Vision. I made a quilt for my kids and do a lot of clothing embroidery. My husband is afraid I will embroider his underwear. I love embroiderylibrary.com and since my kids are into tattoos I use Urbanthreads.com. I love combining embroidery and quilting.

I just got my Singer Futura350 for Christmas.It takes all formats!

I'm a little timid yet, have done some small designs and quilt labels.

I've been hesitant to put layers of batting, fabric and stabilizer in the hoop... so far only fabric and stabilizer.

I checked out hoopsisters.com....this is interesting....a little pricey for a few limited designs. I have found some great software where you can design your own blocks.....have not tried the applique technique yet...

It is good to see so many embrioderers out there....
    Diana in Texas

Blog Entries
    I have a Pfaff2140 embroidery machine upgraded to 2170. I bought 4D Extra software so I can create my own embroidery and quilt designs. I can draw a design, scan it into my computer, then download it to my Pfaff and quilt. The software has a 'Trace' feature that turns an embroidery into an outline. Wonderful for quilting.

An example: last summer I made a scrap quilt with 2 different Kitty blocks for my DD and family. For the border, I designed a repeating outline of a mouse to quilt. Haven't done the quilting yet, because the quilt is in NY, the 2170 is in CT, and I'm at our winter place in Tucson. When I finish quilting it this coming summer, I'll post a picture. I bought the 4D software specifically for designing quilt designs. You can also use it to scan and use un-copywrited designs in books and magazines. It's wonderful!

I agree that embroidery is so dense that it's better to do it BEFORE quilting. The quilting I do is OUTLINE designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bevsie
    Sew Lulu, I am major impressed with your alphabet quilt....wow! That is just fantastic. How long did that take you to make? Some lucky child is sure going to be happy!

I want to do an embroidered quilt.....you have inspired me to do so!

Bev
    I can't tell you exactly how long it took me since I only have a few hours after my little toddler goes to bed. I started back in late November and just finished it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast