Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you quilt by hand or by machine? >

Do you quilt by hand or by machine?

Do you quilt by hand or by machine?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 PM

I usually hand piece and hand quilt. I am not a great quilter, nothing real fancy but it's relaxing to me. I will use a machine piece but for the life of me I just can't do any machine quilting. I just have lots of trouble.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 PM

I much prefer to handquilt. It is sooo relaxing, and my 6 yr old daughter watches me and wants to sew, too. She is now working on a miniature doll quilt,about 10" square. She is handpiecing it, and will handquilt it. With 4 small children, I need something to help me relax! Handquilting is wonderful!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM

I quilt by machine..it's how I justify why I own 5 of them..lol..I'm more of a designer..piecer..when it's finished I use to send them out..can't afford that always.. so I use a machine on the smaller ones and a friend helps with a bigger projects ! I do all binding by hand !!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM

I do everything by machine. I just can't get the hang of the hand sewing. It's a bit of a hassle to machine quilt though on a big quilt with only a 6 1/2" throat space. I have a number of large tops done and can't for the life of me get them ready for quilting. I'm currently in the market for a long arm so I can get those UFO's done.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:38 AM
Swap Hosts

In my youth, teens and 20's by hand. Now, machine. Why? Speed. I am now 59 and hand sewing is too darn slow. I'll be dead by the time I finish even a small project!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:42 AM

If you like hand quilting, why not do it?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:55 AM

Both. Depends on what look I want to give the quilt, whether I want to take it travelling with me, or to do whilst waiting in the doctor's office. Most people like the over - all effect of the quilt, rather than the fact that it is hand done. Therefore, it is faster and cheaper to produce a similar result.
I also think it is up-to-date to use a machine. After all, most of us don't go out and milk a cow when we want some milk any more do we?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 AM

I quilt by machine because I just started quilting last year and I have such a long list of quilts I want to do and that list gets longer every day. Since I work full time, I don't get to spend as much time as I would like quilting. So it is basically too many quilts...not enough time.

I just started a Grandmother's Flower Garden using the English paper piecing method to have something to do when not at my machine such as lunch break at work, camping, etc. Since I am hand piecing it, I hope to hand quilt it as well (someday). Needless to say, it is a LONG term project.

I would like to make a small quilt and try different methods of hand quilting such as frame, hoop and lap.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:11 AM

I use to hand quilt and loved it now with arthritis in my hands I quilt on my home sewing machine anything larger than a twin I do in sections
Old 06-14-2011, 03:19 AM

I have always been a handquilter. I am heavily involved in our local Linus Project and those quilts I machine quilt. All of the bed size quilts I made are handquilted and I always have a wallhanging or smaller project going or ready to go. I am going on a cruise/bustrip at the end of July and expect I will get at least one of my smaller projects handquilted durring that period.
11 years ago I developed a rare autoimmune disease that makes it hard for me to manipulate anything larger than a crib size quilt under my sewing machine. It hasn't stopped me from handquilting. When it comes time to attach a binding to my bedsize quilts my husband stands behind my machine and feeds me the quilt while supporting the weight or I would not be able to do that chore. I do than finish the bindings by hand.