Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you quilt by hand or by machine? >

Do you quilt by hand or by machine?

Do you quilt by hand or by machine?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 AM

When I started learning, it was tie tack by hand or machine quilting in the ditch. When I moved south, I learned how to hand quilt at a quilting bee. It took me 18 months to learn how to do it, but I love it and find it very relaxing. Someday, I'll have a livingroom big enough to accommodate my floor frame, until then, I quilt all special projects by hand.

I do machine quilt baby quilts and recently acquired a Singer 66 with a larger throat plate to do more machine quilting. I just really, really stink at it just now. Straight line quilting and FMQ both. I don't have enough confidence yet.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:11 AM

I've hand quilted some wall hangings. Baby quilts and quilts for my grandkids are machine quilted. I'm hand quilting quilts for my three daughters for Christmas this year. It's so relaxing to do with my cat in my lap and soft music in the background or an old black & white movie on the TV.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by MsDesigns
I am a diehard hand sewer so I prefer to quilt by hand. But using the sewing machine is so much faster! Do you quilt by hand or by machine and why?
YES!
It depends on what it is. A baby quilt will be by machine. If it is hand pieced then it has to be hand quilted... DUH! I have also sent things to the LA to have machine quilted (this would depend on how much $$ is available to pay for this).
Thanks for asking.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:42 AM

I do some of both, it depends on the project If I have gone to the trouble to needle turn applique, I usually quilt by hand, if the quilt is for a bed, I usually do it by machine
Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM

I piece by machine and have my quilts longarmed. Never learned to handquilt. Pain(prob.arthritis)in my hands will not allow me to piece by hand or finish a full-size quilt on a standard size home sewing machine. So I take great pleasure in selecting fabrics and putting bits and pieces of it together to create one-of-a-kind quilts. However, there is nothing more beautiful than a well-done, hand-stitched quilt. So hats off to those who can and do.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 AM

Okay, great ladies of quilting. I have just begun this great adventure of quilting and love it. However, I have this question for the "sages of quilting"! Is it okay to hand quilt AND machine stitch on the same quilt? I am hand quilting "with great love" the inside area of the quilt. However, would it be okay to stitch in the ditch on the outside border which is all squares and triangles ( about 18 inches all around)??? Thank you for your input.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 AM

hand piece sometimes, sometimes by machine. I always hand quilt.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 AM

I learned to piece by hand with templates and to hand quilt. I still love to needle turn applique by hand and hand quilt, but my art quilts, and especially my baby quilts that will be washed a lot are ALWAYS machine quilted.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 AM

I put my quilts together (is that called "piecing"?) on the machine, both for strength of the quilt and the time saved, but I do the actual attaching of layers by hand, to give it a more authentic look.

Am I the only one who does this? I’ve never taken a class, so if this is gauche, please tell me!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM

Machine. Numb fingertips don't work so well to hand sew anything.