Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you remember >

Do you remember

Do you remember

Old 12-03-2011, 11:21 AM

My mother made all my dresses as a little girl and growing up. When I started high school she told me in no uncertain terms that I WOULD take home economics in school. Although I wasnt real happy about it at the time, today I am so thankful she did make me do it. Now I'm making clothes for my grandchildren as I did for my children. She also made me help with canning as a child and for that I am also thankful.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 AM

My mom was the kind that we would go to town and do some shopping. We would find what we liked and then go find patterns that were close to matching the dress we picked out and go home and make it. Some times it would take two or three patterns to alter to make one dress.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 AM

It was my grandmother. We lived next door to her and we could not sit down unless we were crocheting or doin
g something else. She must have been the original "dumpster diver". She lived near the factories in Los Angeles and she would collect fabric that was being tossed out and make quilts. This was in the 60's. She died with house full of fabric.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 PM

My grandmother always sewed and she got me going. I really don't remember starting but I was always sewing..I remember sewing for my dolls at 4 but am sure it was before that I really started.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 PM

my mom sewing on the kitchen table...oh my probably45 years ago.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 PM

I don't ever NOT being around sewing. My mother and both grandma's were wonderful seamstresses. Something was being sewn all the time. I don't remember having a "store bought" dress until I was in 5th or 6th grade. I taught my daughters and one granddaughter to sew. The tradition continues.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
When you first noticed someone sewing, was it your mother, aunt, etc. What age and do you think that had anything to do with you going on to sew later in life?
My first memory of my mom sewing was when I was about 7 years old, watching The Wizard of Oz for the first time. I got scared by the wicked witch, so I went to my mom for comfort, and she was at her sewing machine. My mom and my sister were both very talented seamstresses, but I could never get the hang of cutting the pattern. I tried once or twice in high school, hated it, and didn't try again until this past year. I'm 42 now. I have discovered that I love piecing together a quilt, but I still have no interest in making clothes.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:38 PM

I was just talking about this with my husband the other day. I honestly can't remember when I learned to sew or from whom.... I don't remember my mother ever making clothes for us, but she must have known how to sew as I think she did help me a little. I was very young and used her sewing machine, but probably learned to sew more "properly" from Home Economics courses in high school. Of course, I thought I knew it all then!!

But the reason I was talking about it with my husband is that someone asked me to teach them how to sew and I can't think where to begin!!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:10 PM

My Moma could sew everything from slip covers to suits. She made all my clothes and my 2 sisters. I did'nt have a store bought dress till I was a teenager. I can remember sitting on the floor by her as she sewed and playing with Sun Bonnet Sue quilt blocks. As soon as my legs got long enough to reach the foot pedal she taught me how to sew. I don't know where those quilt blocks came from, I don't think Moma made them, but years later she made a baby quilt from them for my sisters first born. I made clothes for my 3 little girls and their dolls. In 1975 I started quilting and I have never stopped.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:14 PM

I remember my mom sewing when I was quite young. I remember sitting on the dinning room floor (her sewing area) and playing in the buttons. I also remember coming home from school for lunch (no hot lunch programs then) and her shoving things in drawers of the sewing machine cabnet saying " oh, is it lunch time already". I wondered how she could forget lunchtime (I wasn't a sewer then). Of course the things she stuffed in the drawers were new pajamas, doll dresses, new dresses for us girls, ect for Christmas. I think half of her live was spent at the sewing machine. When she got Alzhiemers, she called me one evening to ask how to put a quilt onto the frame. I told her, but after we hung up, I cried all night knowing that my "mommy" was leaving me. She never did get to finish the quilt, she was put in a nursing home shortly after that call. My sister finished the quilt for her granddaughter's wedding that Mom was making in for. Sorry this is so long. Guess I should never answer a "do you remember" question.