Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you remember >

Do you remember

Do you remember

Old 12-03-2011, 03:37 PM

I first saw my Grammy sewing when I was about 4. I would sit and watch her in amazement. Back then she used to sew everything. When I got older I tried a few times but I could not get the hang of it and never continued to try. Now that I am older and my kids are off at school I had the time and patience to try~now Im in LOVE.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:55 PM

I grew up playing next to the pedal of a 206 Singer sewing machine. My Mom not only worked in factories doing piecework, she also took in sewing after my brother and I were born and was always sewing. She taught us to sew on that machine and now it is mine! Those 206's have one speed....fast......lol! I took Home Economics in High School just to get 2 new outfits each school year. I made all my dresses, skirts, and pant suits (remember those?) for school. So I guess you could say I have been sewing all my life.....lol!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:13 PM

My moma made our clothes even though she worked all day in the factory sewing. She was divorced and dad didn't help her any. there was 4 of us. My Granny, moma's moma sewed all the time as she was a deaf mute and she had raised her 3 children alone because G-pa died 3 years before I was borned and I'm 56. She made quilt tops and pot holders and clothes. all on her treadel, which I now have. She sewed on it for 70 years. So I was always around sewing but My Granny gave me my first lesson. She let me quilt a potholder on her treadel machine. I never did like making clothes so when I got back to sewing at age 30, I wanted to make quilts and so I taught myself.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:39 PM

My Mom was fabulous at sewing! She was sewing way before the three of us kids came along. We lived in Queens Village, NY and I guess I was too young to remember her making our clothes, living room drapes, etc. She also made clothes for people with special needs. One was a hunchback and the other a midget. She was so generous no matter what she did. I do remember her sewing when we moved to the country to live. I was 5 1/2 then. Mom made all of our clothes. She even made suits for my brother...he being the oldest. My sister & I always had matching dresses! Every holiday we had new outfits and we loved them. Mom was only 4'11", so she always made her own clothing. She taught sewing in 4-H. That's were my sister & I started to sew. Remember the simple aprons? Just a rectangular piece of fabric with a casing at the top for a round piece of plastic to slide through and we had a gathered apron! Then when I was in junior high, we took sewing classes in home economic classes. That's when I started to make clothes for myself and my sister. I've been sewing ever since and loving every minute. I have my Mom to thank for my love of sewing. Knitting and crocheting also. She was a special lady and had a wonderful talent. She used it well and shared it with everyone. She even made my classmates wedding dress because she couldn't afford to buy one. Mom bought flocked curtain material which had a scalloped edge. The wedding dress was absolutely beautiful and it was so inexpensive to make. I was so proud of my Mom when she did that for my friend and classmate. I have wonderful memories of my mother sewing. I have wonderful memories sewing with my mother. When my Mom was in a nursing later in life, she was in need of clothes. My brother was the only one who was still living near Mom & Dad, so I asked him to send me an outfit that fit Mom. I was living in Nevada by then. I took the outfit apart...made a pattern...put the outfit back together and sent him the original along with a new one. It was my turn in life to sew for my Mom after all she did for us as kids. I miss her dearly, but every time I look at her sewing machine, my "Tootsie", I think of Mom. Then there's a smile on my face.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

I have my mother's 1957 singer sewing machine. I remember seeing her sew on when I was a child. But, The first one she had was a treadle that I remember playing with the rocking foot control when I was very young. The funny thing is, I learned to hand sew from a lady that lived two doors down from my aunt lillian's house. Lillian paid her to show me how. No patience for teaching I guess... LOL!

I had one class of sewing in high school that is where I truely learned ot use a machine. Great teacher and I learned everything I needed to get me going. The rest of what I know is from doing.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 PM

Our family lived in a small farm house, and Mom's sewing machine was in her bedroom after the last baby moved upstairs with the rest of the kids. It is amazing how much easier it is to talk to your mother when you are on her bed, and she is sewing facing the wall. There is something very non-threatening about that arrangement.

A story in our family is that my grandmother had a maiden aunt who was a seamstress by trade (1895 timeframe). Her task as a child was to remove the basting thread from her aunt's projects and wind them up on a spool, so that they could be used again. Recycling to the extreme!

Dayle
Old 12-04-2011, 01:01 AM

Yes! Mangle is what it was. I saw one in a thrift store the other day and it was in great shape, but they are so big I couldn't get it for 45.00, darn. I remember her using it a lot when I was 3-4 years old.

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
i think you're thinking of a 'mangle'...but i love the idea of 'spangle'....sparking, happy ironing!!! I have one now myself because of
Old 12-04-2011, 01:21 AM

My grandmother was a milliner way before I was born. I used to watch her make hats to wear to church, and they were always so beautiful. She did everything by hand, and could take the tiniest stitches imaginable. She also crocheted and made very intricately decorated throw pillows. I would watch her make fabric roses and remember thinking how talented she was. Thanks for reminding me to remember that!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:55 AM

"Little Grandma" (Mom's Mom & 4' 11") used to make my school dresses. I remember the full skirts with the sash tied into a big bow. Mom never sewed until she came to live with me and I got her started quilting.

I used to make Barbie clothes by hand & then I took a class in high school to make an apron, but mainly I taught myself to sew when I had my children. I made all their clothes and did a few quilts but didn't really have the time until they were grown.

My youngest daughter & my daughter-in-law have expressed interest so I've been teaching them to sew (& crochet but they're both afraid of knitting so far) and they love to "shop my stash" which Cathe says is bigger than a quilt store anyway!
Old 12-04-2011, 04:13 AM

My Mom made all my clothes. She made her own patterns. I made my first dress at age seven. My fingers were sore from ripping out seams that didn't suit Mom. Loved that dress and loved Mom for teaching me to sew. I treadled many a stitch on that old machine. Later I made my Husbands and Son's suits. Made all my clothes too. I don't have time to sew clothes anymore. I am too busy making quilts. Mom taught me to quilt too,