Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
does your husband >

does your husband

does your husband

Old 08-29-2010, 03:48 PM

My husband has been very supportive and proud of anything I have attempted to do. He was very supportive, of me going back to school and getting both a BS and then a MS, even though we had two small children.
Whenever I make an off hand comment wish like "I might want a serger" he says to buy it. I'm the one to ponder all purchases. I don't say anything but have fun when he goes on his fishing trips. We've been married for almost 32 yrs and I hope we're together for 32 more.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Mine never says anything about me buying, in fact he was the one who went and bought me a new machine when I said I wanted to sew again (after being away from it for 20 years)
He doesn't have any hobbies, but encourages any of mine.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
support your quilting? My husband NEVER says anything about my buying fabric/patterns/books, etc. In fact, he has on several occasions brought people into my sewing room and opened the doors to my fabric armoire to show them how much fabric I have.
He doesn't usually come in and ask what I'm making, but when I bring a project out of the sewing room to show him, he oohs and aahs appropriately.
His hobby is Mustangs - he has a "65 Fastback and 2 "71s. When he's restoring one of them, I'll go out in the garage with a cool drink for him and ooh and ahh appropriately. We make a good team - on Oct. 24, we'll be celebrating 40 years of marriage. I think I'll keep him. :)
I love your story. I also have a very supportive Husband. In fact, it's because of him i bought my embroidery/sewing machine and less than a year later upgraded to a Brothers Quattro at his suggestion. You see, he plays golf usually several times a week. I also play but don't really enjoy it and definitely don't have the passion for it. But I do have the passion for guilting and embroidery. He is happy, I am happy. He loves to see the things I make and I am his biggest fan when he comes home and recounts his "great" shots. Next January it will be 50 years for us. We were both 17 and still in school when we married.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:54 PM

My hubby is definitely an enabler! To get me on the motorcycle for a ride he'll say "I'll stop at the quilt shop"! LOL! Of course he is safe as far as how much fabric I buy cause only so much will fit in a saddlebag!! And I look the other way when he wants a new motorcycle or antique car!! I guess he is a keeper, 35 years and counting.:)
Old 08-29-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by mommaB
Ha!! My EX-husband drives me around during shop hops and will even shop with me..holds bolts and purse!!! We've been divorced 11 years, were married 19 years and are still good friends and work together well. Just couldn't live under the same roof :lol: :lol:

Now that's what I call a great relationship between two people!! So nice that you still get along and are friends.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:26 PM

In my local paper today there was an article about a male long-haul truck driver who quilts on the road to pass the time. His wife got him interested in quilting. What a guy!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:35 PM

My husband likes that I have a hobby and that it keeps me out of his hair!! He's a golfer, and his "hobby" is new golf clubs!! We laugh about my sewing machine habit and his golf club habit. He never fusses about buying fabric and will often ask if we are going to pass any quilt shops when we travel to various places. Just this spring we came back from AZ and took a lot of time to do it. We stopped in several fabric shops along the way and he waited in the car or walked around. He's great about it. Makes over what I do but always asks "Who's that for" since I give most everything away. He's a keeper too. Married 46 yrs and people said it wouldn't last!! Oh well, who knew??
Old 08-29-2010, 04:37 PM

My DH is an enabler. He's the one that told me to ask all of you about quilt shops in S.C. and then he took me to two of them on a rainy non-beach/golf day. He waits patiently in the car, and when I come out he always makes me show him what I bought and asks if it's for something I'm working on, a new project, or just because. He used to come in with me, but we both learned that 4 eyes are not better than 2. He was always showing me something in another row and then I would get side tracked, and the trip would take twice the time.

A big thanks for all of the great quilt shop suggestions, I found a great sale at Quilters Cottage and got 8 yds @ 50% off. And Sew many common threads is so cute.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
support your quilting? My husband NEVER says anything about my buying fabric/patterns/books, etc. In fact, he has on several occasions brought people into my sewing room and opened the doors to my fabric armoire to show them how much fabric I have.
He doesn't usually come in and ask what I'm making, but when I bring a project out of the sewing room to show him, he oohs and aahs appropriately.
His hobby is Mustangs - he has a "65 Fastback and 2 "71s. When he's restoring one of them, I'll go out in the garage with a cool drink for him and ooh and ahh appropriately. We make a good team - on Oct. 24, we'll be celebrating 40 years of marriage. I think I'll keep him. :)
Actually, I know this couple, and they are "the perfect pair"!

I have seen her sewing room, and she doesn't have any worries of running out of fabric anytime soon. They have a lot of things in common too...just to name one, they love to play cards.....

Both these people are real sweeties, and are our very best friends..........actually, they have become family to us.....Happy 40th!

Just had to put in my two cents!.......
Old 08-29-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
My DH is a problem! :roll: When he is with me at a Quilt Show or just a Quilt Shop, he is always picking out fabrics that go together & insists that I buy enough to surely be able to make some kind of quilt. Needless to say, he is fantastic at picking out fabric. But....my sewing/quilting room is running over with fabric. It bothers me. As for him, he says that it will be there when or if I am ready for it. He chose the A-1 Longarm. He uses it. He bought me a Janome 350 Embroidery Machine. He bought 3 Featherweights. I do not like clutter or to be overcrowded and I do not want to have to buy a larger home to accommodate all of my stuff. :roll: So I had to put my foot down & ask him to please stop buying me quilting/sewing stuff. :D He just dearly loves to go to the Houston Quilt Show & is a lot of fun to run around with. We've been married for 32 yrs and hope we have that many more ahead of us. :wink: And I need to get out of my funk mood and start sewing my tail off. :D
Now now

You just need to quilt more, so you can use up some of the fabric:)

Lol