Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: does your husband

I just want to know where you ladies found all these guys?
    I guess they are few and far between in reality.LOL
    I have been single now since 1990 and am very happy. I was married to one that I couldn't do anything right. Until we had been divorced for a year or so and his new young wife wasn't working out the way HE wanted and he said he realized what a "good little wife" I had been. SAY WHAT!! I told him exactly what he could do with that. LOL
    My DD doesn't really care about my quilting but I do find when I am stuck Her "untrained" eye sometimes sees things mine doesn't
    Congrats to all the women here who found good ones. They are rare.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
    support your quilting? My husband NEVER says anything about my buying fabric/patterns/books, etc. In fact, he has on several occasions brought people into my sewing room and opened the doors to my fabric armoire to show them how much fabric I have.
    He doesn't usually come in and ask what I'm making, but when I bring a project out of the sewing room to show him, he oohs and aahs appropriately.
    His hobby is Mustangs - he has a "65 Fastback and 2 "71s. When he's restoring one of them, I'll go out in the garage with a cool drink for him and ooh and ahh appropriately. We make a good team - on Oct. 24, we'll be celebrating 40 years of marriage. I think I'll keep him. :)
    I had my DH for 57 years and tho he never"got it", he realized how happy I was when I was sewing and did admire all the clothes I made for all six of us. That was a BIG money saver and he was a bit on the tightwad side.

Blog Entries
    We went to JoAnn's to buy a new iron (was really disappointed that I could not use my 40% off coupon), I was going to buy the $70 Rowenta, but my dear husband pointed out all the great features of the $120 Oliso Smart Iron....ok, he talked me into it....He has always been very supportive, never complains when I drag him to buy fabric.....

My DH is also a keeper, he doesn't mind anything that I buy, he encourages me to buy more. He will tell me not to worry about the housework, just go play in the sewing room. He built a small house just outside the deck for his collection of guns & knives, and just before he finished he said he thought I should take it for my sewing area. Then surprised me with a Viking mega quilter and frame. I think I'll keep him, we've been married 41 yrs this 8/24.

My sewing room is a man free zone. My husband will go in Joann's with me and he does hem and haw about it. He loves the quilts that I make and he is very helpful with color selection, sometimes he flat out hates something and doesn't hesitate to tell me. He never complains about the money I spend (if he only new how much). I will sit with him when I hand sew the bindings and then he decides who should get the quilt if it's not a gift. I am very lucky to have him. The only thing is that he feels I should quilt everything myself,if not then it isn't mine. So I have one queen size in the clost hanging. With football season here and I can honestly say I am a football widow until seasons over. That's when I do my best work...

My DH really cannot complain about my quilting. He is responsible for starting it all. He brought an old quilt home from the landfill years ago (no trash pick up back then, we had to haul to landfill ourselves) Anyway he wanted it washed so he could use it in his shop to cover something he was working on. I looked at it and thought, "not in my washing machine", but relented and figured there was always bleach to run through after it was washed.
    When washed it was a wonderful old quilt, my feeling was it should not end up in the trash again. So started looking for the name of the quilt and that started it all. He will stop at quilt shops and go in with me. I hand him a bolt, tell him how much and he takes it to get cut.
    I've always supported my habit. Taught classes and did lectures for the $$ to spend on fabric etc.
    He has a really good eye and when I am having a problem with a design, he can usually come up with a solution. He is a keeper.
    By the way it was a red and white Sawtooth quilt.

Love my Dh with all my heart. but blankets and quilts aren't his thing. I do TRY to hide fabric when i order it online. But he spends about 50 bucks a month on gourme(sp) coffee. So i feel safe spending up to $50 a month on something i can see, feel, use, touch, and I tell him it's cheaper than theropy :)

One thing I forgot to add: My son would always give me gift cards to JoAnn's for my b-day, Christmas, etc. It was easy for him and he knew I absolutely loved getting them.

Blog Entries
    Barbara...you're a lucky girl! Good ones are great aren't they? Mine is a keeper and I really trust his "eye" and taste better than my own sometimes! We just about won't shop at a LQS unless they have a "DH chair"....congrats on your keeper!

My husband is very supportive. He built me a beautiful sewing room and recently bought me a brand new sewing machine. When my old one gave up he said go out and buy what you want. He didn't care about the cost. We just took a week long road trip in my Shelby, my Avatar, to Montana and Glacier. He made sure we stopped at every quilt shop in every little town we went through. It was our 35th anniversary trip.
    But I have been very supportive of his hobbies too. He is very into trains and cars and he has both, a 90 ton Shay Locomotive and 3 muscle cars. He has a whole basement dedicated to his train stuff and a 3 car detached garage dedicated to cars.
    So we are supportive of each other. That is the way it should be.

My husband stopped at a garage sale yesterday and brought me home a sack of fabric. What a guy! I even ask his opinion on colors for sashing and borders and he is usually right. He's a keeper!

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
    support your quilting? My husband NEVER says anything about my buying fabric/patterns/books, etc. In fact, he has on several occasions brought people into my sewing room and opened the doors to my fabric armoire to show them how much fabric I have.
    He doesn't usually come in and ask what I'm making, but when I bring a project out of the sewing room to show him, he oohs and aahs appropriately.
    His hobby is Mustangs - he has a "65 Fastback and 2 "71s. When he's restoring one of them, I'll go out in the garage with a cool drink for him and ooh and ahh appropriately. We make a good team - on Oct. 24, we'll be celebrating 40 years of marriage. I think I'll keep him. :)
    Super cool! Congratulations on your upcoming anniversay!

My hubby doesn't say anything to me. He knows he can't - between his horses, 57 Chevy, corvette and what not - he knows I can never compete in the money dept.

He is very wonderful about "squeezing" in trips to the quilt shop. If we are going somewhere and I say " do you mind if I stop in real quick" he is always ok with that. Always tells me to take my time. Sometimes he goes in and will give input if I ask for help.

We will be celebrating 24 years in January.

I have a keeper too. Always trying to help me with organization, supportive of whatever I buy, loving all I do, and telling me so, not complaining that I have to sew in the dining room and the mess that I leave there. We are so compatable I know what he is going to ask me and answer him before he finishes. I love him and he loves me. We still hold hands and kiss whenever and say I love you whenever we feel like. We laugh together and have the same giving hearts. and will be together til the end.
    He cannot do all the physical things he used to, but keeps busy. We have been married almost 30 years happily.

My husband never complains about my sewing and quilting. He even helps if I get stumped. I am mathmatically challenged, so he regularly figures measurements for me. If I am running behind on a project, he doesn't mind sitting down at the machine and doing a little sewing either. He can be a bear about some things but never begrudges me my hobbies or pasttimes.

My DH & I have been married almost 27 yrs.(he's my third, but that's another story that I won't get into) and he's very supportive in ALL I do with quilting. He better be because my DM got me started and she'd tell him different,lol!! He helps me with making decisions on borders, block arrangements, backing fabric choices, but also reminds me of all the UFO'S that need to be finished before I start another WIP,lol!!! He's even been known to take me to a particular fabric store and pay for it and ask appropriately, "Do you want anything else?" . I'll keep him!

Oh I can top that one. My husband makes quilts right along with me. He started when he retired. I have a quilt group that I go to and he is right there with me making his own quilts. He has even made some for our senior center to raffle off. The only thing that bugs me is when I go fabric shopping. He says to buy more than I realley want to, but who is to agrue when hubby says to buy more.

Ah I think I have figured it out. All the husbands that are good with you all quilting have Hobbies of their own. My ex never did unless it was all his girlfriends. lol Neither does my daughter unless I can count her Roller Derby. She was out of it for awhile and really grumpy. She has gone back to skating once in a while. Just not on a team anymore.
    So I just need to look for someone who has his own hobby preferably a little on the expensive side. But then again. I am happy being single. :-)

Blog Entries
    My husband is the best too ! He is always helping me with this or that in my craft room. He has his hobby ( Harley Davidson ) and I have mine. I do always tease him about if Mama ain't happy!!!! and about how he should keep collecting motorcycles because one day we may need the money. But I without a single doubt in my crazy, fabric collecting mind Love him with all of my heart and would not trade him for anything !!! ok well I did see this long arm..
    Just kidding.... I have one of the good guys too for sure...

Blog Entries
    [quote=BarbaraTX]support your quilting?
    quote]

Yes mine is supportive, especially now that the children have all grown up and moved out on their own. To him, my quilting is great because I enjoy doing it. He doesn't take people into my sewing room because it is my space. Sometimes it is a mess and I would rather people didn't see my mess.

lol...I told him the other day that since we save funds for: the farm; for auto; for feed; and for the home, I believe that I needed a quilting fund. He has almost agreed to that idea... :-)

how sweet..i think he's a keeper

My hubby is very supportive also and always asks what I am 'building' now. His fetish is clothing and fishing tackle.

Mine is very supportive. He is good at colors so sometimes I take him when I look for fabrics.

Blog Entries
    My husband is the most wonderful man. We met online six years ago, both in the same city all our lives and our paths never crossed. We were once in a Joann's and the woman cutting my fabric asked if there was a limit on the amount I wanted to buy (my pile of fabric was substantial) and she looked at HIM!!!He said, "Nope, she doesn't say anything when I go to the lumber yard." We each have our own addictions and none of them are dangerous.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Mary Ellen Hopkins once told a story about a new customer in her store (Crazy Lady and Friends in Santa Monica years and years ago). Seems this new customer came in with grocery bags in hand, looked around, and was standing at the register having a chat with the staff when old-time customer Mary came in and was loudly greeted by all. A great laughing conversation followed about the wonderful new stuff arriving, with new customer attentive to it.

The clerk reminded old customer Mary that her DH Joe had forbidden her to buy any more fabric and had called the shop to warn them off selling her any. Mary "phooey”d that dictate and continued having some cut.

Suddenly someone yelled, "Mary, Joe's about to come in the door!" Whereupon Mary scooped up the new customer's grocery bag, stuffed her just cut fabric into it, and left, covering her tracks just as Joe came in looking for her.

She merrily waved good-bye as the new customer, in shock, said, "She took my groceries!" The staff missed not a step in pulling out money to pay for the 'stolen' groceries and told her that's what quilting friends were all about!

Of course, Mary Ellen advised us that the real lesson in this tale was that astute quilters/fabricoholics ALWAYS carry a local grocery store bag and a couple big bags of chips in their trunk to hide their fabric purchases under in times of duress.

I personally no longer need to do this as I got rid of the 'duress several years ago. ;-)

Jan in VA

I have a great hubby. He loves my quilting,and even shows off my WIP's to people!

If he runs across something that I might like, like a sewing machine or something, he'll either call me to see if I want it, or he'll go ahead and get it.

He even made me a "Flynn" frame knock off!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast