Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Does your husband understand?

My DH has supported me in all the crafts I have done over the years. Bead weaving was rough for him to understand because the beads are so expensive, but he brings out the items I have made to show folks and always tells me to be sure and put my name on the items. He doesn't understand "stash." He likes that I make things for family members and when I mention that his sister would like an item he adds that so would SILs, nieces, etc. He has been very patient while I have been building my stash. He still rolls his eyes when I bring more fabric home, but all in all he understands how happy quilting makes me and that in turn seems to make him happy.

I started to quilt out of a therapeutic need for peace and to grieve. DH couldn't understand the pain I was in, but he knew I needed something to cope. He didn't understand anything about quilting at first but now he's starting to pick up the lingo and even help pick out fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by newbee
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPaw
    Some men don't seem to understand and maybe the ladies can be this way too but I learned along time ago let your wife do as she wishes and everyone will be happier.

Blessings,

Rick
    The rule of our house is "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."
    Happy wife, happy life!

i am very lucky to have a very understanding hubby...he loves that i have started quilting, and supports my efforts...i made him a great quilt, and need to get that finished, but he even understands that other projects are taking priority...he really is a good guy.......gina

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deema
    My husband doesn't bicker about it, but he doesn't understand. He knows I love it and doesn't have any problems with it. He knows I love giving them. He did ask me if I was going to make a quilt for everyone I know and what would I do when everybody got one...I told him I'd finish his. hahaha But he doesn't get it...I think maybe if he had a hobby, he might understand better.
    Exactly!

I've only been quilting about 2 years myself. My husband has been very understanding. He helps with the building, moving and shifting. He supports everything I need to buy. He did not, however get the giving. He thought it was crazy that I wanted to give my first quilt to our daughter. She picked out the fabric and colors for the quilt she wanted. OUR DAUGHTER??!!! He just didn't understand the giving away, until I told him that I love that my daughter wanted something that I had made myself, start to finish. And, it was my first, sight unseen, not knowing how it would turn out. For me there is no better compliment from my children, wanting something I made. I am now working on a quilt for my son and my next will be for my other daughter and each and everyone asked that I make them a quilt. I feel very blessed!

I have to say my hubby didn't get it one lick before I joined QB, but since i have read many threads to him, especially the jokes and things, he has a new found respect for it all.
    I wouldn't have bet money on that happening. Sometimes you can teach and old husband something new, lol! :lol:

Wow, all you fortunate women! My late husband sure didn't get it...when he was in the house, anything I liked had to be hidden away (books, magazines, sewing, crocheting, etc.) and I needed to be on my feet working--when he came in the door, the daughters disappeared into their rooms. Thankfully, he was away a lot, with both his work and his hobbies-hunting-- expensive guns (28); fishing-boats (3) and tackle; golfing-custom made clubs and membership fees. But I was raised that a wife should always do everything she could to make her man happy...didn't really understand until many, many years of marriage that I was being mentally and verbally (but not physically) abused. So if any of you have spares around, send them my way!! LOL

I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but NOT having a husband means I can do what I like with my $$. I decide what & when I want and how much time I want/need to do so! I don't advocate the single life, but it hurts to hear my married women friends talk about how they have to lie, hide, deceive or deny buying/doing things for themselves because their husband doesn't/wouldn't approve.

I'm glad I don't have to get permission. That's what parents are for - not spouses. My ex nearly caused a financial crisis with his (secretive) purchases and yet I had to ask for what I wanted. Nope. Never again. I know what my quilting and craft allowance is thank you very much and I manage my spending. I would hate having to ask for permission. It would be nice though to have someone to share my passion and ooh/aah as each project is completed. Cats don't care or give a hoot about anything I do (except when their food dishes are empty). :)

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    My hubby is really good about it...I am the one who feels quilty.
    Same here :)

Yes and No he loves that i can turn a piece of fabric into something that will provide someone warmth and love but no that i dont get his quilt done. Today I showed him his first block for his KING sized crazy quilt and his face lite up and I thoguht to myself OK I best really get working on this pronto!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    My husband understands. I may add that he is very creative (more so than me) but his creativity is in another area. He is also a very generous soul who loves when I give quilts away but he likes some for us too :D:D

My husband came from a family where women don't know that a needle is a tool to sew,So. it was a big shock to him to see me making clothes and knitted clothes for the family, When I started quilting , he could not understand cutting fabric and sewing it back together. When I discovered the Vermont Quilt Show, he drove me and every spring, he would ask when we were going to Vermont.Then offered me an electronic sewing machine. What I miss the most, was his way to tell me I love you .....because.....you old-fashioned!

My hubby is pretty good about my addiction. I think it's because he has his own hobbies and spends plenty of time and money on them as well. I always say that's what keeps us happy...our own interests and groups of friends! Now if I could only convince him that wallhangings are art quilts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by newbee
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPaw
    Some men don't seem to understand and maybe the ladies can be this way too but I learned along time ago let your wife do as she wishes and everyone will be happier.

Blessings,

Rick
    The rule of our house is "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."
    I hear that.

I am fortunate that DH supports my various hobbies. Several years ago when I was looking to buy a new machine he told me to buy a Bernina after testing driving one at a quilt show. He goes to quilt shows as well as accepts (and helps me find them!) that we will be stopping at a quilt shop whenever we travel. In return I support his deer hunting and horse back riding.

My hubby understands that if I'm happy I'm a lot easier to live with, and also my keeping busy means he never has to hear a whine about "golf widow". I'm one of the lucky ones.

Suzi, your baby is beautiful. Is it a poodle? So sweet.
    Robin in TX

[craftymatt2]Mine is very understanding, I could have worse vices

That's what I keep telling my husband.

Yes my DH understands; he pokes his head in every now and then and checks in on me. He actually did the research and went "shopping" for my LA for Christmas. What a sweetie he is.

Blog Entries
    My husband understands because he has his own passion for restoring old Chevys and guns, etc. I am a lucky gal. He has bought me so many quilting related items for Christmas, lamps, gift cards to LQS, sewing table and has encouraged me from the beginning 21 years ago. He thinks everyone should have a hobby they are passionate about!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I have only been quilting for a couple years, but am absolutely addicted. The problem is my husband doesn't understand this hobby at all. I love to make quilts and then give them away. Although sometimes I request that the recipient buy the fabric, most times I don't. He just doesn't get it. It is absolute bliss for me to make something by myself and then see the reaction of the recipient. Am I the only one with this problem?

Oh Yes, he does understand. He encourages me to add to my stash on a very regular basis! How blessed I am!

In my case, I think my DH sees my quilting and quilting activities
    as a source of relaxation for me. I work 11-12 hours a day. I have a very stressful job (that I do love) and when I am off "quilting" he knows this is my relaxation and my time to destress. He does not know the difference in fabric quality. He just know that when I let him go with me to one of my favorite quilts shops. He knows there is a chair when he can sit, where they keep the choclate and to just sit and chill because I am going to be at least and hour.

Power Poster
    My hubby has never said anything negative at all about my quilting.

Blog Entries
    My DH understands. He does say that he thinks it is a shame that after all of my work I am going to give them all away like I do with my swedish weaved afghans. He always tells me they are beautiful. Then he says they are mine to do with what I want. The other day, I commented that I am not getting much housework done because of my quilting. He told me I have all summer to do housework so enjoy my quilting now. :)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast