Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your husband understand?

Blog Entries
    The only interest my husband has is to make sure wifey is happy doing what she loves best. He complements the end results, but doesn't encourage or discourage my purchases. The most I ever hear is, "If you NEED it, buy it." It's never stopped me.

I'm very happy to say my husband gets it and enjoys me quilting. I get embarrassed when he talks about it to much to his friends and coworkers, but I know he's proud of me and supports my interest. He loves to hand out the newest baby quilt at work or the pick out colors for the next retirement. Don't get me wrong I can't get him to sew, cut or use the long arm. But he does think it's the coolest thing ever and always asks what's my next project. My 14 yr old son is the same, him and his friends show all sort of interest in it and ask for quilts for thier birthdays and Christmas presents. I never understand why significant others or families aren't as suppotive.

My husband is also a quilter so he totally gets it. I am a lucky girl.

Mine kinda understands my addiction. He did give me LQS gift certificate for Valentines day!! Spending to tomorrow:-)

Blog Entries
    My DH is an enabler. He comes with me to shows and quilt shops and ooh's and aah's and points out stuff I should buy. He saved up to buy me a longarm, how wonderful is that!

I am blessed, My hubby is the reason I have a long arm, and has been wonderful about my quilting.

My DH definitely understands. He's always willing to agree with great finds like my featherweight and latest quilting frame and Juki. He spent two days helping me put together the frame. He's also pretty good at giving approval and suggestions on the design wall and never complains about my fabric purchases or time spent in my cave. 42 years...think I'll keep him.

DITO" WE RE LUCKY
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    My hubby is really good about it...I am the one who feels quilty.

After about 10 years, my DH ask me while I was working on a quilt, "Are we going to keep this one?" That is when I realized that we had never kept even 1 quilt. All I need to do if finish the binding and then I am going to put it on our bed. Was happening and I didn't even realize. Hmmmm we must all be givers. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Mine is very understanding, I could have worse vices.

Last time my DH came with me to a show it cost in $3100.00. Much more than I would have spent if I had attended alone. :-D

My DH totally supports my addiction financally, but still feels left out of that part of my life. He will ask if I am ever going to leave my {hole} sewing room. He also insists that I do not allow my {junk} to take over the rest of the house. In the last 2 years he has bought me a Bernina 440 QE/with embroidary, a LA, a Quiltazoid attachment with extra boards and never complains about the money I spend on my addiction as he calls it. I just wish that he could take some joy in the quilts that I make.

My husband is very understanding about my quilting. He has actually been the one to buy my machines for me.
    He has his hobbie, and I have mine. :thumbup:
    We all need a hobbie, do not let him discourage you yours.
    Maybe help him pursue him a hobbie.

I am not sure he understands...since hes actually in a pretty good mood today I think I will ask him! It's a good question. He has never complained..doesn't compliment, but never complains.

Heavens no!!

My husband totally understands and encourages my love of quilting, although I'm not near the level of so many of you. He's a doll!

I'm happy to say I think my husband understands the situation pretty well. He's always the first to say go ahead and get what I want. He helps with color placement and arranging blocks sometimes. Moved tons of stuff from downstairs to upstairs so I'd have more room for all my stuff. But poor misguided thing that he is, he will brag on me to my embarrasement about how lovely my quilts are - you would think I was Wonder Quilter! - and I'm certainly no where near that!

My DH is pretty understanding, he knows that it makes me happy to be able to do this. A couple of years ago a local sewing group & I were making Christmas stockings to be sent to the troops. A local paper came over & did a story, along with pictures. He has it laminated & posted in his "hobby shed" front & center. I guess that means he's proud, huh?

My DH's passion is fishing..........I don't ask him what he spends at the tackle shop and he doesn't ask me what I spend at the LQS. He keeps warm under my quilts and I have fresh fish to include in my dinner menus. It's a WIN, WIN!

Mine doesn't mind. It keeps me busy and happy and that's what matters to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I have only been quilting for a couple years, but am absolutely addicted. The problem is my husband doesn't understand this hobby at all. I love to make quilts and then give them away. Although sometimes I request that the recipient buy the fabric, most times I don't. He just doesn't get it. It is absolute bliss for me to make something by myself and then see the reaction of the recipient. Am I the only one with this problem?
    Does your DH have a hobby? Mine does, and throughly understands my addiction. He's always telling me you can't have enough tools for your hobby. He's into woodworking.

MY husband is wishy washy. He is very supportive yet gripes too at times when it gets to be too much. I just tell him, it is time for him to go take a Harley ride. He is happy to oblige. His shop footprint is 2/3 that of our house, My quilt room is 10 x 10 with a small closet added on. Hmmmm... All I have to do is remind him of that and he gets quiet.

Blog Entries
    I've sewn all our married life so DH is used to it. Actually he's very proud of everything I make. He always wants me to buy the very best of what ever I need. He's hunts for Feed sacks to buy for me. Yes, I'd say he is very supporative.

Blog Entries
    Mine used to understand better than he does now that he has not been able to work for 5 years. Even though I fixed it so he could be in the same room with me he thinks I am supposed to watch the TV with him not so something else while he is in the room. He tells everyone that I can make anything and he likes his quilts. I do not understand.

After reading all the responses I asked my husband if he understood and he said yes. He's happy I found something I enjoy. He doesn't get involved or anything but he doesn't complain either.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast