Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your husband understand?

Blog Entries
    I'd say yes. He helped me decide to buy my FW when we were waiting in Texas to get a transmission shipped from Atlanta for the Van (don't ask! :roll: ). We bought the book and studied it and went back the next day to get her. When I needed to get a fancier sewing machine he told me to spend twice what I'd planned and helped me decide which machine. He has to drive me so is always good about taking me shopping for anything, really, and we both love thrift stores...he put up with hauling a 28" hand quilting hoop stand from PA to Ga on top of all our other gear, wish I had a picture of that! I gotta admit that our condo looks like a quilt shop exploded as my energy and my passions aren't always in sync and he doesn't say a word. Right now, I'm hot to go get comic book boards to store my stash on and his only comment was to wait till Mon 'cuz the parking will be better. Of course, we'll eat at one of his favorite burger pubs...so win-win.

My DH is great too. He made me a design wall for Valentine's Day and only raises his eyebrows a teensy bit when I come back from the fabric shop laden down with bags.

lbc
    My husband is my number one supporter. We were visiting friends last week and he went out to the car and brought in my latest quilt to show them. I had no idea that he had brought it with us. I know longer think I should call the Quilting Police when I find a missing quilt because I will know that he has taken it somewhere.

My husband understands and always says,"if you want it, get it". Unfortunately in the real world you shouldn't buy everything you want . I am the one that manages the money and sometime have to have my grown daughter be the voice of reason if I am contemplating something big. He just wants me to be happy and as much time as I spend on the computer or sewing is fine with him. I am very spoiled and really appreciate him.

My hubby told me to go buy Material the other day. He asked me to help him learn how to sew. I let him sew the hem coming off the bed cover. When I saw him at the sewing machine and sewing it made me feel sooooo GOOD. I just loved it.

now live in Chandler, AZ, but a Boston native
    My husband is very understanding of my obsession, because he has three! Golf, watercolor painting and his Macintosh!! He spends plenty of time and $$$$ on all three, but is totally supportive of my habit. In fact, he built me my huge cutting table on wheels, which folds down to just 20" x 44" and HIGH because I am tall! Also, built me a wonderful light box; designed and built all the racks for my guild's quilt show last year (with one other man helping out) and THEN... made a DVD of all the quilts in the show - #102 to music!! So I can't complain, but he still can't find the hamper or the dishwasher!!! And unless it can be cooked in the microwave, no luck there! ;>) ;>)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Oh Pat is such an enabler. When my Keepsake Quilting catalog comes in he hides it behind his back and plays "pick the hand" like a little boy. Too funny.

Blog Entries
    You know, just after I posted DH mentioned he had almost tripped on the mess in the living room. I assured him as soon as I got the comic book boards, it would help and that satisfied him. Gotta love that man :wink:

I recently made three quilts for three little girls and my husband had difficulty with it in the time spent working on the quilts rather than satisfying my customer's (in my quilting finishing business) needs.

Since I've retired, he is sometime jealous of time NOT spent with him.

My husband is very supportive and even suggests maybe I can show him how to do a few things. However, he did say he didn't want me to just sit and sew in my free time, but to also get out there and do some exercise. I think he's hinting.....haha

My husband doesn't mind me sitting and sewing but he always says that I need to get out of the house. If I leave, my car always heads towards a fabric store. I have enough fabric to last a couple of life times.

Senior Member Claddaughquilting's Avatar
    My husband is great about it. He never complains about the time I spend, or the money. He doesn't mind attending a quilting show with me, or waiting in the car when I run into the local fabric store "just for a look!"
    He even bought me an Oliso pro iron for Christmas, and get a real kick out of watching it in action!
    I couldn't ask for a better hubby! Fortunately, he also has a hobby he loves....fishing! We always have a fishing vacation each year, so it's a fair deal!
    Quilting magazines on my nightstand.....fishing on his!
    Great arrangement!

Blog Entries
    DH may shake his head or roll his eye at my quilting, being amused by it all, and then go on about his business. (all DHs should have business to be going about and leave us to our knitting)

Blog Entries
    If it isn't for immediate family, I won't give it away unless it is a gift. Everyone I knows asks what they can give for doing a certain something, and I don't hesitate to ask that they pay for the materials (but I wont take anything from my kids and their spouses and does not include all the charity donations.). I don't make a profit off anything I make. Don't know if I will ever go that route.

My DH is great about everything. He bought me my first expensive machine back in 1986, (a Pfaff I still use and love), will fix anything I need for my sewing room, works on my machines, does not care what I spend on fabric and such, insisted I buy a used Brother embrodiery machine I really didn't want to, and we just bought a used Voyager 17 longarm with frame. He is interested in it and how it works. I just left him alone and he set it up and got it to working. He seems to like my projects also. I think I'll keep him.

He will soon learn...as they all do...we just can't help ourselves :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    DH is enabler also..LOL. He is taking me to Lancaster on Wednesday. Look out Zooks and Martins..here I come.

My husband does not understand my affliction/addiction of crafting/sewing/quilting just to give it away. Like you, I get so much pleasure from the reactions of the recipient when they receive an unexpected gift that was handmade for them.

My DH understands, he likes going to the countyand state fair to see the quilts. He goes with me sometimes to the fabric store. And this last quilt was giving me such fits, he spent time with me moving the blocks around to make the pattern work only to find out the diagram in the book was wrong! He figured it out for me. What a gem.

Drunkard's Path
    Name:  Attachment-154422.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  71.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Mine understands, however he keeps saying he wants this one or that one than wants to give them to his friends & have me make him another one. That's great but their are some that I would like to do besides hunting, fishing, dogs, etc.

Unfortunately, I've got one of the ones who is neither supportive nor appreciative. The only comments I've ever gotten were,"That's a lot of sewing," (when I finished Carolina Christmas) and, "How much did that cost," (when one came back from being quilted. Mind you, our money is separate (that should tell you a lot), but he still wanted to know.

I started quilting after giving up on spending evenings with him. He watches a lot of sports, sci-fi and "blood and guts" movies/shows on TV, which is his addiction, and I do not enjoy any of those. After a couple of decades, I found other things to do in the evening.

When asked what I want for gifts (birthday, Christmas), I'll often say a gift certificate for LQS or Joanns. While DD did give me one, DH doesn't do that. Almost as if he won't support my hobby. Oh well, I still enjoy it.
    It's wonderful that so many spouses do support each other - and that you recognize it!

Some men don't seem to understand and maybe the ladies can be this way too but I learned along time ago let your wife do as she wishes and everyone will be happier.

Blessings,

Rick

Blog Entries
    My DH fully supports my quilting habit. I give all of my quilts away, to friends and to charity, and he loves seeing what I make before it leaves. He is better at color combinations than I am, so often he helps me pick out the fabric as long as I don't spend TOO long in the LQS!

To balance that, he ties fishing flies and donates them and a lot of time to his local fishing group. And I never complain when he wants to go fishing instead of doing his chores around the house. I guess he and I are both lucky to support each other's habits!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPaw
    Some men don't seem to understand and maybe the ladies can be this way too but I learned along time ago let your wife do as she wishes and everyone will be happier.

Blessings,

Rick
    The rule of our house is "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

My DH doesn't say anything, but I know I spend too much money on the hobby. He has yet to complain.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast