Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double Eye Needles for quilting on a machine >

Double Eye Needles for quilting on a machine

Double Eye Needles for quilting on a machine

Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 PM

Sorry, I don't have any pictures but I have done this many times using the double eye needle. As an example, I have put green thread in the bottom eye and a red or gold metallic in the top when I have quilted Christmas things. I have never adjusted my tension and it worked just fine. It gives the quilting just a bit of shimmer when the solid thread color is underneath.
I use Schmetz.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 PM

Now I want to try this, the effects are fantastic.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 PM

Yes, they do have a sewing machine needle with two eyes for top stitching and fancy stitches. I see that most fabric stores are selling them.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:37 PM

I took a class a few months ago on doing stained glass quilts with bias tape. My teacher had us use a double needle (two shafts) that had the needles far enough apart that we sewed down both sides of the bias tape at one time.
The needle is out in my studio and I'm too lazy to go out there now to look at the details (brand, spacing, etc).
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
I took a class a few months ago on doing stained glass quilts with bias tape. My teacher had us use a double needle (two shafts) that had the needles far enough apart that we sewed down both sides of the bias tape at one time.
The needle is out in my studio and I'm too lazy to go out there now to look at the details (brand, spacing, etc).
Oooh! I like that idea too!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by shnnn
This is a "double needle" not a "double-eye needle" but the effects of a double needle are really nice too. They look really nice when you are doing cross-hatching. The double eye needle is just one needle with two eyes so the two threads sew one on top of the other.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by raksmum
This is a "double needle" not a "double-eye needle" but the effects of a double needle are really nice too. They look really nice when you are doing cross-hatching. The double eye needle is just one needle with two eyes so the two threads sew one on top of the other.

Ohhh...thanks for the clarification. Guess I was reading things wrong. Some of the posts make more sense now. That's what happens when multi-tasking. I was watching The Closer. :)
Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 AM

Thanks for the info.
Just had my lqs order for me. Said I was the first to ask for them!
We all need pictures when we get to play!
Gale
Old 08-11-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by raksmum

Ohhh...thanks for the clarification. Guess I was reading things wrong. Some of the posts make more sense now. That's what happens when multi-tasking. I was watching The Closer. :)
I still like that idea :wink:
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Ah, now I see what they are getting at. I've done exactly the same thing, but putting both threads through the same eye. You do need a larger eyed needle to allow for the two thicknesses of thread and I always make sure that the spools are going in opposite directions on the top of my machine, so they don't get tangled up. After that, go fairly slowly.
I must live on the moon because i've never heard of this before. Thanks for the example. Do you know what number needle you used for this?