Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double Eye Needles for quilting on a machine >

Double Eye Needles for quilting on a machine

Double Eye Needles for quilting on a machine

Old 08-11-2011, 11:47 AM

I check Joann's and Hobby Lobby and neither stores have the double eye needles. I was disappointed.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Well it sounds as though you really don't need the double eye need if you have a needle with a big enough eye to hold two strands of thread. Have you tried this method yet? Have not so I am anxious to hear people's result.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by My time
Well it sounds as though you really don't need the double eye need if you have a needle with a big enough eye to hold two strands of thread. Have you tried this method yet? Have not so I am anxious to hear people's result.
You don't have to have the double eye but it does make the thread feed through evenly (with the same thread always being on the top). I hope that makes sense.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by raksmum
Originally Posted by My time
You don't have to have the double eye but it does make the thread feed through evenly (with the same thread always being on the top). I hope that makes sense.
Yes it does I never thought of the thread not feeding evenly. Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:32 AM

Years ago when the denim idea was new, this was really popular as the heavier looking double thread had much more impact. It stood out and was very effective. Doubled red thread was most popular especially on blue jeans and wearing a red tee-shirt and red socks for casual wear. Choose your own shoes.
Or - just the red stitching on the jeans and a smallish red scarf around the neck. Don't forget to wear a top or you will get cold boobies. Just thought I'd mention that. Lol Gleniveve
Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 AM

I have never found this to be a problem using both threads through the one eye of the needle. I have used it lots over the years with contrasting thread for effect. It used to be quite common many, many, many years ago. Boo Hoo, my age is showing --- again. Lol Gleniveve
Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 PM

I'm Intrigued! Think I'll give it a try!
Old 08-23-2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
The only problem I see with the double holed needle is will the hook assembly be able to grab the second thread? On a double needle it will because the threads are at the same depth as it normally would be if using a regular needle.

Billy
Well, I tried it on a zigzag and I had to scoot the needle down just a tiny bit to get it to catch the top thread. I haven't yet tried a straight stitch... I will post pictures later when there is enough light in there to get a decent picture.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 AM

...oops lost the pictures... :oops:
Old 09-16-2011, 05:51 PM

This must be very new on the market. Never heard about 2 eyes on one needle.Seen a double needle for hand sewing but never for the machine