Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enjoy the process or race to the finish line? >

Enjoy the process or race to the finish line?

Enjoy the process or race to the finish line?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:23 AM

very rarely do i choose a quick project - i fin them incredibly boring to work on.

i work on projects that take away from 3 to 24 months depending on size and detail.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:38 AM

Very interesting discussion.
I work full time, and have many hobbies that take a lot of my time, but A couple of years ago, I accidentally came across a quilting class when I knew nothing of sewing or fabric. It was very difficult for someone who had never even touched a sewing machine to take a beginning quilting class making HST and QST, but I loved it. And when I had the chance, I bought my first sewing machine and started making quilts. In every quilt I chose, I looked for something different with a new challenge, and taught myself to paper piece, picture piece, applique, sew Y seams, FMQ and long arm quilt, mind you not a master in any domain but do decent work if I say so myself. :mrgreen: I love the whole process and I have been enjoying designing some quilts. No one in my family expects me to quilt for them, nor do I have that as a goal, it is just my hobby and I enjoy the process and learn from the journey, no rush to finish although I do love the sense of accomplishment when I do finish.
Having an obsessive personality though, I am very focused and do tend to finish quilts that some may call difficult fairly quickly considering.

And just to add, I have no UFOs, although I tend to start a few projects together, I do finish them together.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 PM

I am an enjoy the process person. I have quilts that I have been working on for a while. Rather than race to finish so I can start anew, I start a dozen and when I get bored, I move back to another. It is a horrible obsession I have, but I am a perfectionist and sometimes you just have to walk away. I'm sure a lot of you would look at my UFOs and cringe....I just see them as future opportunities! LOL
Old 10-13-2011, 12:36 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm
I do enjoy the process - there is something special in the evolution of a quilt from pattern to finish that I really cherish.

I do not rush though. I am simply not capable of rushing. I have been quilting for 4 years and have barely gone beyond basic piecing techniques because I labor over the process and nitpick my work to death. That being said, I LOVE the process and find it very liberating!
The first sentence in this quote is beautifully put - nearly made me tear up. :-)

And the nitpicking thing I can sooo relate to! There would be no point in me rushing either because I KNOW I'd end up unsewing. I go over my quilts witht a fine tooth comb looking for imperfections. If there's a teeny tiny loop on the back where I had a little tension issue while FMQing, I have to sort it out. It's bad and I should stop it but I just can't help myself. :oops:
Old 10-13-2011, 12:40 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Willa
Quilt in a day sounds really nice but what size quilt are they talking about? 10 minute block - I've heard on here where that has taken a lot longer than 10 minutes. I think these titles are named this way to try to entice you to try them.
If this is the case, (and I can believe it as the quilting world is dominated by the same agressive marketing tactics that are seen everywhere) then it makes me mad. How many newbies have been put off and discouraged because they buy a pattern or a book on how to make a quilt that the PR claims can be done in 5 seconds flat. Then they try it and it takes them 5 weeks - so they feel like a failure, give up and take up fly fishing instead? (Not that there's anything wrong with fly fishing, it was just the first hobby that popped in my head! Go figure!) :lol:
Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Depends on the pattern and whether I like the fabric...
I won't work with fabric I don't like anymore - I made a king size years ago for my mother, with fabric SHE chose and I hated - first and last time I let ANYONE choose the fabric themselves - unless they're choosing from MY stash. I'll only take on commissions if the client gives me full artistic control. To my mind, they want me to make a piece because they like my work soooo what they should get is MY work! :lol:

EDIT - Just read that back - what a nightmare I sound! :twisted:
Old 10-13-2011, 12:44 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
very rarely do i choose a quick project - i fin them incredibly boring to work on.

i work on projects that take away from 3 to 24 months depending on size and detail.
See now, I relish the idea of something soooo complex it would take two whole years! What bliss! And I'd love to see some of yours - going to check out your profile to see what you've posted... :-D
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by candi
In every quilt I chose, I looked for something different with a new challenge, and taught myself to paper piece, picture piece, applique, sew Y seams, FMQ and long arm quilt, mind you not a master in any domain but do decent work if I say so myself. :mrgreen: I love the whole process and I have been enjoying designing some quilts.
That's me, exept the long arming at this stage - though I have had a go at every show I've ever been to. :-D
Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 AM

I'm a hurry up get it done by default. I get so into quilting I forget I have a family wanting dinner, or my attention. Yes they can fend for themselves but it's that ugly truth of when im busy everyone wants me!! lol I try to acomplish whatever I can on a day off, while hubby is at work and kids are at school. Treasure it all tho so try not to chose sides and compromise.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:59 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie
Yes they can fend for themselves but it's that ugly truth of when im busy everyone wants me!!
Oh I know that feeling! Be horrible, like me, so they buzz off and leave you in peace! :twisted: :lol: