Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enjoy the process or race to the finish line? >

Enjoy the process or race to the finish line?

Enjoy the process or race to the finish line?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:46 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammagayle
I just think it's a difference in different kinds of people. There are those of us who keep several ideas in their mind; and can't shut that down; and more than anything enjoy picking out the material and getting that idea 'onto paper' (or into a quilt top) and the GREAT THRILL is gone,even tho they still like the rest. And there are those who enjoy that finality and solitude; and finality of seeing something come to fruition. And then there are those who just enjoy seeing it go from the brain wave idea to the finality of putting the last stitch on the last corner of a HAND STITCHED quilt. I don't think it is a question of having or getting enthusiasm back for some part of the process. I think it's more having done each step; and possibly finding one stage that we totally enjoy. We are all wired differently; and get enjoyment in different ways.
But don't you think that if a person is making quilt after quilt where they ALWAYS get fed up at some stage of it so that they only want to get it done, should perhaps review their choices of pattern/technique or whatever? Quilting offers such a huge range of choices - I just think it's sad if ppl begin to see it as a chore - any stage of it. Of course, there are parts that you'll enjoy more than others - I have a current WIP which requires a ton of satin stitch applique and it's definitely a chore BUT I'm dying to get it done so I can get to the FMQ and fabric painting I have planned for it. So that's a means to an end. I do a bit of the satin stitch until I can't bear anymore, then I put it aside for a while and do something else. But I would still maintain that I am enjoying the overall process of that particular design and I'm not tempted to rush it or do inferior work.

As I said earlier, I don't enjoy piecing the same block over and over, though there are lots of quilt patterns requiring this that I would love to make so I could FMQ them and then own the quilt. But I don't because I know I'd detest the piecing. I choose patterns, techniques and designs that I know I'll enjoy making or at least that I know I can push myself through like the above-mentioned satin stitch. :mrgreen: :lol:
Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 AM
mim

Last night chatting with my sis in NC, she asked me when I made the Hex sign quilt I gave her many years ago -- I couldn't remember so she said I gave her dayghter a wall hanging dated 1985 -- I had no clue -- I couldn't even visualise the WH. I looked it up this morning but still had no clue.

This thread reminded me that I was very rushed back then and was zipping thru quilting projects.As well as starting a business with DH. Quilts that I spent time on and enjoyed the process, I can remember vividly and where and what I was doing at the time. I like to spend time and enjoy.

attached are both pix

WH for Glory
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270510[/ATTACH]

Hex sign quilt for Prill
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270511[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-270457.jpe   attachment-270458.jpe  
Old 10-13-2011, 04:06 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Mim those are both beautiful. And I fully appreciate those who are having to fit quilting in among lots of other commitments will want the quick finishes. I wonder if I could only spend time quilting a couple of hours a week, if I'd go for the quickie patterns or still do the involved, complex things I do now and be content with only finishing one or two a year? Lucky for me, I quilt full time weekdays during school hours (well, between teaching classes, organising exhibtions, giving talks etc but that is all quilt-related).

But I'm glad you can enjoy the process now. :-D
Old 10-13-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by woody
Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie
Yes they can fend for themselves but it's that ugly truth of when im busy everyone wants me!!
Oh I know that feeling! Be horrible, like me, so they buzz off and leave you in peace! :twisted: :lol:
Oooooh!!! I thought I was just going through perimenopause, because I have been so horrible lately, :evil: :evil: but really deep down I must want everyone to leave me alone to quilt in peace :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm thinking of making a sign for my studio door - 'Artist at Work - Whatever You Want, the Answer is NO - Now Buzz Off!'

:twisted: :lol:
My dad had 'studio hours' and we were not to interrupt him during those periods every day. It was as if he was away at work except he was wasn't 'away' physically. If it was an emergency (a boy called and wanted to take us for a burger or something), we'd ask Mom to ask him for us. It was all perfectly normal to us growing up.

I know from blogs that many studio quilters work the same way...set hours. It gives discipline to the creative process and stability to the family's 'doings'.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by grammagayle
I just think it's a difference in different kinds of people. There are those of us who keep several ideas in their mind; and can't shut that down; and more than anything enjoy picking out the material and getting that idea 'onto paper' (or into a quilt top) and the GREAT THRILL is gone,even tho they still like the rest. And there are those who enjoy that finality and solitude; and finality of seeing something come to fruition. And then there are those who just enjoy seeing it go from the brain wave idea to the finality of putting the last stitch on the last corner of a HAND STITCHED quilt. I don't think it is a question of having or getting enthusiasm back for some part of the process. I think it's more having done each step; and possibly finding one stage that we totally enjoy. We are all wired differently; and get enjoyment in different ways.
But don't you think that if a person is making quilt after quilt where they ALWAYS get fed up at some stage of it so that they only want to get it done, should perhaps review their choices of pattern/technique or whatever? Quilting offers such a huge range of choices - I just think it's sad if ppl begin to see it as a chore - any stage of it. Of course, there are parts that you'll enjoy more than others - I have a current WIP which requires a ton of satin stitch applique and it's definitely a chore BUT I'm dying to get it done so I can get to the FMQ and fabric painting I have planned for it. So that's a means to an end. I do a bit of the satin stitch until I can't bear anymore, then I put it aside for a while and do something else. But I would still maintain that I am enjoying the overall process of that particular design and I'm not tempted to rush it or do inferior work.

As I said earlier, I don't enjoy piecing the same block over and over, though there are lots of quilt patterns requiring this that I would love to make so I could FMQ them and then own the quilt. But I don't because I know I'd detest the piecing. I choose patterns, techniques and designs that I know I'll enjoy making or at least that I know I can push myself through like the above-mentioned satin stitch. :mrgreen: :lol:
Then you are one of those who DO enjoy the whole process from beginning to end. Great that you do. We're just all different. But I don't think that it's that some get 'fed up' or see it as a chore. They just ENJOY a different creative part of it. Most still go on and finish it; but their real love is either in the creating the design, the quilting of it, or the finishing of it. Note the post just after yours on todays list where a woman was asking if there were any out there who, like herself, didn't like the piecing; but so enjoyed the quilting. :) We just all have our favorites. :)
Old 10-13-2011, 04:19 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I try and keep it to hours when the kids are at school and DH at work and that's fine most of the time. Just if I'm IN something and can't leave it alone and I go on into the evening... that's a problem faced by all who work from home I suppose. :-D

PS like the emergency burger story... :mrgreen:
Old 10-13-2011, 04:20 AM

I love the process of picking the pattern, the fabric and seeing it all come together, but then I'm already bored with it and ready to move on to the next project. trying to learn patience and actually get some "quilting" done and reduce the number of my ufo's, but another book comes and I see another pattern that makes me go ooooh and I've off again to the next one
Old 10-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Then there are times when I feel stressed so I get out my scrap stash and make a bunch of string blocks.
Now THIS I can relate to - quilting as therapy! If I'm wound up about something, I FMQ pebbles - acres of 'em if necessary! Once you've had a while of ONLY having to think what size, shape and where the next pebble is going, the worries of the world just melt away... :-D
YESSSS - this one is me many times. I hand quilt at a large frame (it can adjust to a king size), so over the years I have 'thought thru' MANY troubles sitting at it.

I think it has to do w/the fast pace of society today. New technology seems to encourage 'hurry, hurry, hurry, making everything supposedly easier & faster to do. The younger generations seem to be in such a hurry.

I had been 'out' of the quilting world for quite awhile when I joined here & was amazed at seeing the QUANTITY of quilts being done - until I realized they were being machine quilted. Previously, when I was active I'd never heard of the machines except for commercial pieces.

I know I'm really showing my age, but I think it's sad so many have no idea of what they are missing by not slowing down to smell the roses.

Regardless, here again it is all a personal choice & thank God we each have different likes/dislikes - otherwise it would sure be a pitiful world :lol:

Everyone have a blessed day & may all your quilts be filled w/LOVE

Hugs
Old 10-13-2011, 04:44 AM

I'm with you girl, I love the process of choosing a pattern and of course choosing the "right' fabric for the quilt top.
I never rush making the quilt top. I take my time with cutting, pressing, piecing, etc. Always taking time to read the directions,
thinking through the placement of all the fabrics.
I believe anything worth doing is worth doing well.
I don't rush through a quilt, just to rush through another one so I can say I made xxx amount of quilts this month/year.
I may only make 3/4 quilts a year, but I am proud of the quilts I make. Like all hobbies there are different levels of quilters,
and we all have our ideas on completing our quilts.
No one way is right or wrong, each quilter is as different as the next. As long as we all enjoy quilting. :D
Old 10-13-2011, 04:48 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pieces2
Like all hobbies there are different levels of quilters,
and we all have our ideas on completing our quilts.
No one way is right or wrong, each quilter is as different as the next. As long as we all enjoy quilting. :D
Absolutely - I meant no implied criticism of the race to the finishers - just wanted to try and understand it. :-)